Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

August 7, 2016
Day-o. You say day, you say day, you say dayyy-oooo. This movie is very comical. Winona Ryder's Lydia Deetz, is so odd and interesting which equally balances out between Baldwin & Davis's Adam and Barbara, a couple who are normal and have never been able to have a baby. Michael Keaton kills it as Beetlejuice and is extremely psychotic and that makes us love him even more.
½ July 30, 2016
Rating: 71%
Odd, creative, and original, Beetlejuice sees Michael Keaton and Tim Burton successfully break out among their typical film works.
July 29, 2016
Michael Keaton is crazy as Beetlejuice!
July 22, 2016
***
A typically odd serving from Tim Burton, but one that is charming and fun. Michael Keaton is great as the character of Beetlejuice, and the film's premise is strangely interesting.
July 21, 2016
The film that made Tim Burton: this awesomely zany comedy has a bunch of great performances and the Burton charm is in full swing
July 11, 2016
Burton added his interpretation of the supernatural in his artistic trademark with creativity produced, albeit not fully attempted, and the titular role given to Keaton at an expected result being energetically humorous. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ July 1, 2016
Fun haunted house movie that is not a horror but not short of creepiness.
June 14, 2016
Beetlejuice is a brilliant mess that packs charm, great performances, especially from Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and a different but appealing style that will please any movie goer and especially any Tim Burton fans. This movie, in my opinion, was where you started to get to know Burton's style and realise that of his name is on the cover it's going to be weird and different but in a good way.
June 3, 2016
It has been a few years since I have watched this film. Probably twenty if I really think about it. And like with any film that you have not seen in that period of time, your perceptions can be completely different when you sit through it all over again. Thankfully for me, that was not the case with Beetlejuice. The story was still as delightfully irreverant as it was initially, and the performances of the ensemble cast is still wonderful. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are both so naively young and witless, Winona Ryder easy to believe as the dark and lifeless daughter, Catherine O'Hara and Jeffrey Jones suprbly over the top in their roles, while Michael Keaton once again cements his brilliance in any role with this crazy and jovial character. Really, you want him to win, don't you? The kids probably didn't follow it all through the story, but they had fun, and that was the main thing.
April 15, 2016
Beetle Juice (1988) ??
Deadening comedy from Tim Burton starts out well enough, as deceased couple get service from Beetle Juice to help clear out a dumb family from their home. Fun idea is tormented by unbelievable reactions from the dead couple (they're apparently dead, yet they don't act like it!) and an obnoxious performance by Michael Keaton. Good art-direction, Oscar-winning Makeup can only help so much.
April 14, 2016
Yaaaassss!!! The comedy and the horror just mach with each other!
April 4, 2016
My family and I consider this a classic comedy . Filled with laughs and lots of great characters fun for the entire family. Michael Keaton absolutely kills it in the titular roll!
April 2, 2016
I don't remember ever seeing this movie when I was a kid, but I did watch some episodes of the animated series around that time. BEETLEJUICE is an important film for at least one reason: It established Tim Burton's style and featured a lot of the people, behind and in front of the camera, who he would collaborate with over the next 20 years or so. It also has a fairly entertaining story with plenty of visual inventiveness and some manic touches, courtesy of Michael Keaton as the titular character. However, similar to Silence of the Lambs, the most important character in the movie isn't in it for a long time. He gets hinted about at first and shown from behind, making you curious as to what could make the dead so scared of him, but then he finally makes his grand appearance and it all makes sense. For so grating a character, the small doses you get of him actually work in the film's favor. A little bit goes a long way. What makes the film engaging and relatable are the couple who die barely ten minutes in (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) and the daughter of the couple who move in afterwards and start remodeling (Winona Ryder). To a degree, you can understand the plight of these two people who, cut down in their prime, see the house they worked so hard to get be changed beyond recognition by a family with no regard for the past (albeit, hilariously so). One thing I didn't expect was the way in which the film straddles the line between horror and comedy, having expected something a little more straightforwardly funny. What I got was still quite good, with plenty of sight-gags and situational humor instead of verbal punchlines. The film also has a great sense of style (courtesy of production designer, Bo Welch), and Tim Burton's love of German Expressionist cinema becomes more apparent in his realization of the limbo world of the dead, with its long hallways and angled, off-kilter doors and windows. There was also brilliant use of stop-motion animation and models, which are still more involving than CGI will ever be. All of the performances were great, and the characters well-written enough as to be likable even while occasionally doing annoying things. The only thing that works against the film are perhaps the rushed beginning and a slightly forced (and equally rushed) ending. I can understand wanting to get to the good stuff, but a little more time with the protagonists could have only benefitted the film overall. So, for not quite delivering the riotous comedy I expected, BEETLEJUICE is still a highly entertaining showcase for special effects and Michael Keaton's manic energy, as well as being Tim Burton's first true film (or at least emblematic of his style).
April 1, 2016
BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE
½ March 27, 2016
After rewatching this 20 years later, it still holds up. It's so Tim Burton (in a good way) and so enjoyable.
½ March 23, 2016
Still a weird movie. 20 to 30 years after I saw it for the first time, and it's still creepy. You've got to hand it to Michael Keaton. He's a pretty versatile actor, and has played some pretty nutty roles.
March 21, 2016
Maybe it was overhyped, but it was very mediocre. Also, there wasn't enough Beetlejuice in it.

For being the name sake of the movie, he doesn't do very much.
March 18, 2016
160318: A couple Calypso songs does not a movie make. I remember thinking this film was good. Time has not been kind. Garage sale, donation pile and never coming back.
March 12, 2016
Michael Keaton's best performance and one of my favorite movie characters of all time.
½ February 29, 2016
One of the leading films in it's genre... Horror Comedy. Yeah, not many films in that genre-bending, but it has turned into a cult classic. Everyone looks so young! Tim Burton's directing in his earlier, creepier period of his career. Definitely bizarre, unique, weird, dark, and fun-enough. It should be more PG-13, than PG (for sure). Rating: 7/10