Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

February 13, 2017
Original yet creative Horror comedy mixing a great blend of live action and the occasional stop animation to put into the mix. Great performances all around including Michael Keaton as the title character.
½ February 12, 2017
First off, let me explain my main problem with the film: Betelgeuse himself. While Michael Keaton plays the character very well, and his upbeat and wild attitude makes for a funny experience, he only appears for about 15% of the movie, if that. I truly think that as the title character, he should have way more to do and play a way more integral role in the story than he does. In fact, I think that the whole movie could've been done without him. Burton could've just created a film about two ghosts trying to scare the owners of their house, with hilarious results.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 25, 2017
I'm sure it's very good...I've seen it a few times but it still leaves me cold and confused.
½ January 19, 2017
One of Tim Burton's finest and most original ideas live on in this movie and Keaton being the star role, completely steals the show. Amazing!
½ January 14, 2017
Second time through, I think this movie's a classic--I mean, really, how many stories are told from the ghost's point of view? It's got its flaws--the sandworms don't make sense at all--but you'll find a lot of what's best about Burton's movies in this one: irreverence, bright colours, a fine balance of the fantastic and the realistic and Danny Elfman's music. Catherine O'Hara's performance is outstanding, too.
January 6, 2017
Wonderful movie. Most enjoyable
½ January 5, 2017
This movie is not for family viewing. I rewatched it after first viewing part of it as a child and remembering being utterly disgusted and afraid. Now I see that the morally grotesque figure - Beetlejuice - is hard to watch even as a male adult.

Finally, the development of the plot seems to simply stall for at least the first half. I expected Beetlejuice to play a more primary and upbeat role, but, alas this is Burton's work after all. Still, the development of the plot felt unsatisfying.
December 11, 2016
One of Tim Burton's best film's ever due to the fact that it's stunning and hysterical at the same time. Michael Keaton shows off brilliant wit as the title character Beetlejuice.
December 8, 2016
Tim Burton's bizarre and unique vision comes alive, and Michael Keaton was born to play Beetlejuice.
November 29, 2016
"Creepy, funny fun for the whole family" says Rottentomatoes.
Definitely found Beetlejuice screaming "NICE FUCKING MODEL!" while honking his crotch quite creepy and fun for the family, yes. His trip to that whore house was also funny.

So..

The movie Beetlejuice is, suprisingly, not about Beetlejuice.

This well-known classic wasn't part of my childhood, unlike for most people around my age or older, but I did follow the cartoon series in the 90s. The animated Beetlejuice has always been the only version of him I've known, I used to have such a sick crush on the guy, but this year's Halloween I sat down with my family to watch the original the cartoon was based on. For the first time.

I was surprised to see all the pointless sexual gestures and jokes coming from this Beetlejuice, but was even more surprised to see how he only had a few minutes of screen time and the movie had its focus on this extremely boring dead couple. I couldn't care less about these two, but I'm still not sure if that's because they really were that uninteresting or I was just disappointed by the lack of Beetlejuice in this movie called "Beetlejuice". What about that, huh.
I found Beetlejuice to be the only exciting thing the movie offered. I read that Tim Burton added more of him after the test audience liked him, revealing the shocking truth he had even less screen time than he already had. It's confusing how Burton didn't make the movie about its title character to begin with. Imagine if The Lion King was about Zazu.

Lydia Deetz, the only other character I really remember from the cartoon series, was just shit. I'm sure I'd be less negative if I knew the movie's Lydia before the animated one, but this woman was still less impressive than the internet made me believe.
Movie Lydia is this goth girl with the blandest face in goth history, and horrible bangs, who drowns herself in self-pity till she contemplates about killing herself so she can hang out in the Netherworld, a place she knows zero about; and all of this inspired by her new, boring, dead acquaintances haunting her house. I don't remember the movie ever explaining in detail why she's sad or what her childhood was like, so her character was just stupid to me. Pathetic, almost.
While she's supposed to be a goth, for some reason she's very attracted to the rosy-cheeked Hallmark card-couple, who even become her godparents at the end of the movie, levetating her into the air while she's dancing to some conga tunes. You know, the genre of music people like Lydia really enjoy.
It feels like she's only attracted to this couple because they are dead, because surely their nice personality and semi-interest in her can't be the factor that swooned her over, as I remember her own father being just as nice to her, but getting no response.

Obviously I prefer the cartoon series, but I'm sad that I didn't even enjoy the original enough to want to see it a second time. Cartoon Lydia is pleasant and playfully freaky, a character I'd choose over a suicidal drama queen any day.

Then there's Beetlejuice himself. I understand that his downplayed personality in the cartoon can drive some fans of the original away, as there'll always be people who prefer a mean-spirited molester over a funny anti-hero, but being more crude shouldn't automatically mean it's better. The movie covered so little of Lydia and Beetlejuice, I cannot put the original on a pedestal.
November 26, 2016
if only there was more than 5 stars
available to rate....
Truly epic story of a bio-exorcist dead guy havin a good time.
Michael Keaton, you amazing dude, you.
½ November 23, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movies.
½ November 21, 2016
I love almost everything about this movie.
½ October 31, 2016
Beetlejuice(1988) - Immerses us into a creepy look at the world of the dead. Tim Burton has always been great at giving us movies that are both scary yet charming at the same time and this is no exception. I love this movie's outlook of what happens after death. It leaves the way for many creative atmospheres and ideas. It also does a great job mixing in Scary with funny and gives the sensation that you're in for some spooky fun. The real star of the show however is "Michael Keaton" as Beetleguese. He brings so much energy to his character he's funny but also very sinister. He steals the show every single time he's on screen. I especially love the look of the character it really makes him look like a drunk green demon. The visuals are so amazing that even to this day they look so impressive. The stop motion effects are so well done as well as the practical effects and the atmospheric environments really do send chills down your spine. Beetlejuice is such a great film and It's one of the films i always look forward to watching every Halloween. (A)
October 30, 2016
Good fun and games. Bizarre.
October 19, 2016
Excellent! What fun! It's an original movie, it's quirky and mad!
All the cast are excellent, from Baldwin and Davis as the straight-laced Maitlands, to Jones and O'Hara as the annoying Deetzes, but the show belongs to Michael Keaton. His manic and hilarious title character is a revelation. He is absolutely brilliant.
October 12, 2016
Beetlejuice is a very strong and hilarious movie. Michael Keaton gives one of his best performances and gives a sense of danger of what bad will go down if you say his name. This movie has a great sense of fun
½ October 12, 2016
In my opinion, one of Tim Burton's best. It bizarre, quirky and cleverly funny ideas make Beetlejuice one hell of a ride.