Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

October 7, 2016
Narratively it's a mess but the film's imagination is stellar.
½ October 6, 2016
Beetlejuice is peculiar yet fascinating. The film's infectious laughter, obscure thrills and sensational performance from Michael Keaton upholds to this day; making this bizarre piece of entertainment one of Tim Burton's best, if not, the best directorial effort. 4.5/5
October 5, 2016
This was such a fun movie - made when Gina Davis and Alec Baldwin were SO young (in 1988). And of course, Michael Keaton was great.
September 19, 2016
Yes, this is the first time I ever watched Beetlejuice, because I skipped it as a kid. I would have hated it as a child anyways, so it's probably best that I watched it for the first time now. The acting in this movie is second to none. I adore Baldwin and Davis as the sweet but somewhat dim-witted ghosts. O'Hara, Jones, and Ryder are superb as a wacky family moving from the big city into the country. Finally, I love what Michael Keaton does with the character of Betelgeuse, because he creates a really bold personality that not many other actors would be able to do so well. Add to the awesome cast the fact that I quite like the plot of this sweet couple trying to figure out how to be scary, and struggling with a family that seems impervious to traditional fear. Let's be honest, that "Day-O" scene has got to be one of the most entertaining in cinema history. Finally, there is the look of the sets and costuming in the film. It has become a hallmark of Burton's films to use this Gothic style, but the story of Beetlejuice is well-suited for that look. So, now is when you might be wondering why I didn't rate this a perfect score, in fact it's only a little above average for me. The fact is, despite all the great acting, the brilliant plot setup, the unique set decoration/costuming, and a couple of remarkable scenes....

I don't like Betelgeuse. While it's true that Keaton successfully lends him a crazy one-of-a-kind personality, his entire presence in the movie was an annoyance and didn't do anything to move the primary plot forward. The story already had a point of conflict created by the family wanting to stay and create an amusement park out of the haunted home. But then the entire film veers off the rails because we have this insane bio-exorcist who really just wants to marry an underage girl?? I could not comprehend why this even existed in the story. Then, when they manage to say his name three times (Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice) suddenly everything is fixed and now we all can live in harmony in one home. Wait, what happened to the original point of conflict? To say I was baffled is putting it mildly. I will say I also struggled with some of the weird decisions about how the world of the dead looks, and the stop-motion did not blend well with the live action, but these are minor quibbles I could have overlooked. If the film had just stuck to its original premise, and not decided that it was more important to create the titular character, I think it would have been a great success for me. Instead, it is a movie that I greatly enjoyed for about an hour, and then decided it was only OK in the last 30 minutes.
September 18, 2016
This is the most perfect-best movie ever. My #1 favorite is this. So as you can guess I can't think of a single thing wrong with it.
September 3, 2016
Great set pieces, crazy living-dead-universe and outstanding Michael Keaton. I missed more of character and story developent but nevertheless BEETLEJUICE is unique and darkly funny piece of entertainment.
August 31, 2016
This movie will always be ingrained into my childhood. While the special effects do not hold up as well as I would like them to, the movie itself is still very enjoyable. Michael Keaton has limited screen time, but he is awesome in every moment he has. Also, this has one of the catchiest movie scores to come out of the 80's.
August 27, 2016
The story of the death of a young couple and how they discover the afterlife and all that it implies for them, Burton does a great job with all the characters and the style, and Keaton is amazing as Betelgeuse.
August 15, 2016
Beetlejuice is mostly a product of the 1980's, but there's something about Tim Burton's flare for the absolute absurd supernatural that gives this film an incomparable likability.

Burton teamed up with his early career favorite Michael Keaton for the title character, and in turn created what is perhaps one of the most iconic performances of all time. Beetlejuice has Burton's prints all over it on its own, but with Keaton's performance, it's classic Burton. With that said, I don't know that the film survives if you aren't keen on the overbearing style of Burton. I like his movies as much as the next guy (Big Fish is in my top 5 favorite films of all time), but besides Keaton, there isn't a whole lot to ride home about here.

Beetlejuice has had fans clamoring for a sequel for decades, and I'm not going to be the one to shut those hopes down. With the talented cast, especially where they all are in their careers now, a sequel could be interesting. But I never found Geena Davis or Alec Baldwin's characters to be all that interesting. As they weave their way through the weirdness of the world of death, the film just veers more into a meandering area.

With all the dated elements to Burton's execution, the real gems of this film come from his unique vision. If you were to walk in on this film at any particular moment, you would be able to tell that it's a Burton project, and there's something special about that. I can appreciate a unique vision, but I just wanted more of an overarching journey than a collage of creepy and just strange sequences.

+Burton's style

+Keaton's iconic performance

-Hodgepodge of strange scenes

-Supporting characters aren't that interesting

6.6/10
August 7, 2016
creative and strange
August 7, 2016
Day-o. You say day, you say day, you say dayyy-oooo. This movie is very comical. Winona Ryder's Lydia Deetz, is so odd and interesting which equally balances out between Baldwin & Davis's Adam and Barbara, a couple who are normal and have never been able to have a baby. Michael Keaton kills it as Beetlejuice and is extremely psychotic and that makes us love him even more.
½ July 30, 2016
Rating: 71%
Odd, creative, and original, Beetlejuice sees Michael Keaton and Tim Burton successfully break out among their typical film works.
July 29, 2016
Michael Keaton is crazy as Beetlejuice!
July 22, 2016
***
A typically odd serving from Tim Burton, but one that is charming and fun. Michael Keaton is great as the character of Beetlejuice, and the film's premise is strangely interesting.
July 11, 2016
Burton added his interpretation of the supernatural in his artistic trademark with creativity produced, albeit not fully attempted, and the titular role given to Keaton at an expected result being energetically humorous. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ July 1, 2016
Fun haunted house movie that is not a horror but not short of creepiness.
June 14, 2016
Beetlejuice is a brilliant mess that packs charm, great performances, especially from Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and a different but appealing style that will please any movie goer and especially any Tim Burton fans. This movie, in my opinion, was where you started to get to know Burton's style and realise that of his name is on the cover it's going to be weird and different but in a good way.
June 3, 2016
It has been a few years since I have watched this film. Probably twenty if I really think about it. And like with any film that you have not seen in that period of time, your perceptions can be completely different when you sit through it all over again. Thankfully for me, that was not the case with Beetlejuice. The story was still as delightfully irreverant as it was initially, and the performances of the ensemble cast is still wonderful. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are both so naively young and witless, Winona Ryder easy to believe as the dark and lifeless daughter, Catherine O'Hara and Jeffrey Jones suprbly over the top in their roles, while Michael Keaton once again cements his brilliance in any role with this crazy and jovial character. Really, you want him to win, don't you? The kids probably didn't follow it all through the story, but they had fun, and that was the main thing.
April 15, 2016
Beetle Juice (1988) ??
Deadening comedy from Tim Burton starts out well enough, as deceased couple get service from Beetle Juice to help clear out a dumb family from their home. Fun idea is tormented by unbelievable reactions from the dead couple (they're apparently dead, yet they don't act like it!) and an obnoxious performance by Michael Keaton. Good art-direction, Oscar-winning Makeup can only help so much.
April 14, 2016
Yaaaassss!!! The comedy and the horror just mach with each other!