Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

April 14, 2016
Yaaaassss!!! The comedy and the horror just mach with each other!
April 4, 2016
My family and I consider this a classic comedy . Filled with laughs and lots of great characters fun for the entire family. Michael Keaton absolutely kills it in the titular roll!
April 2, 2016
I don't remember ever seeing this movie when I was a kid, but I did watch some episodes of the animated series around that time. BEETLEJUICE is an important film for at least one reason: It established Tim Burton's style and featured a lot of the people, behind and in front of the camera, who he would collaborate with over the next 20 years or so. It also has a fairly entertaining story with plenty of visual inventiveness and some manic touches, courtesy of Michael Keaton as the titular character. However, similar to Silence of the Lambs, the most important character in the movie isn't in it for a long time. He gets hinted about at first and shown from behind, making you curious as to what could make the dead so scared of him, but then he finally makes his grand appearance and it all makes sense. For so grating a character, the small doses you get of him actually work in the film's favor. A little bit goes a long way. What makes the film engaging and relatable are the couple who die barely ten minutes in (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) and the daughter of the couple who move in afterwards and start remodeling (Winona Ryder). To a degree, you can understand the plight of these two people who, cut down in their prime, see the house they worked so hard to get be changed beyond recognition by a family with no regard for the past (albeit, hilariously so). One thing I didn't expect was the way in which the film straddles the line between horror and comedy, having expected something a little more straightforwardly funny. What I got was still quite good, with plenty of sight-gags and situational humor instead of verbal punchlines. The film also has a great sense of style (courtesy of production designer, Bo Welch), and Tim Burton's love of German Expressionist cinema becomes more apparent in his realization of the limbo world of the dead, with its long hallways and angled, off-kilter doors and windows. There was also brilliant use of stop-motion animation and models, which are still more involving than CGI will ever be. All of the performances were great, and the characters well-written enough as to be likable even while occasionally doing annoying things. The only thing that works against the film are perhaps the rushed beginning and a slightly forced (and equally rushed) ending. I can understand wanting to get to the good stuff, but a little more time with the protagonists could have only benefitted the film overall. So, for not quite delivering the riotous comedy I expected, BEETLEJUICE is still a highly entertaining showcase for special effects and Michael Keaton's manic energy, as well as being Tim Burton's first true film (or at least emblematic of his style).
April 1, 2016
BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE
½ March 27, 2016
After rewatching this 20 years later, it still holds up. It's so Tim Burton (in a good way) and so enjoyable.
½ March 23, 2016
Still a weird movie. 20 to 30 years after I saw it for the first time, and it's still creepy. You've got to hand it to Michael Keaton. He's a pretty versatile actor, and has played some pretty nutty roles.
March 21, 2016
Maybe it was overhyped, but it was very mediocre. Also, there wasn't enough Beetlejuice in it.

For being the name sake of the movie, he doesn't do very much.
March 18, 2016
160318: A couple Calypso songs does not a movie make. I remember thinking this film was good. Time has not been kind. Garage sale, donation pile and never coming back.
March 12, 2016
Michael Keaton's best performance and one of my favorite movie characters of all time.
½ February 29, 2016
One of the leading films in it's genre... Horror Comedy. Yeah, not many films in that genre-bending, but it has turned into a cult classic. Everyone looks so young! Tim Burton's directing in his earlier, creepier period of his career. Definitely bizarre, unique, weird, dark, and fun-enough. It should be more PG-13, than PG (for sure). Rating: 7/10
February 27, 2016
Old time favorite. Great watch everytime. I remember watching this for the first time as an adult however... realized this is NOT child friendly
Teenyhorror in Candyland.
Funny ,Just funny
Not bad
Not great
Just funny
But needs more beetle juice
Needs just more beetle juice
That's all I want just a bit more beetle juice
Crap I said it three times AAAAAAHHH!!!!!!
February 20, 2016
There's an interesting film in here somewhere. Better than many Burton efforts for giving us some audience identification characters grounding the film, at least briefly, in the real world before contrasting with the fantasy world. This is the land of the dead, which has some inventive visuals and clever touches but is ultimately limited in scope. More could have been made of this intriguing place, or of the problems of Ryder's 'tortured' soul (or could have been if she was at all convincing in that role). Unfortunately, once the titular character shows up, a brilliantly unchained Keaton, the filmmakers don't seem to know how to control him any more than the characters. Ultimately he becomes not merely superfluous to the story, but detrimental to what the film was struggling to be about, taking it over completely in the final third. It's bizarre and interesting that the antagonists are a send up of the dark-to-be-fashionable which Burton himself became.
½ February 10, 2016
Too little Beetlejuice, and that's a problem.
½ February 9, 2016
To describe this movie - it's a Tim Burton movie, that's the only you can describe this weird, but hilarious flick.
February 5, 2016
Smart and funny, Beetlejuice is one of Burton's top film, and that's saying something.
February 3, 2016
"Beetlejuice" isn't Burton's best outing, but a committed performance from Michael Keaton and Burton's signature gothic style make this film an essential horror-comedy that can also be great fun for the whole family. 7.6/10
½ January 16, 2016
Beetlejuice is full of Tim Burton's wonderful signature creepiness and odd visuals, and offers plenty of sharp dark comedy from star actor Michael Keaton
December 24, 2015
When Burton is on; he's one of the best. Keaton's makes you laugh and the movie is creepy and entertaining.