Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

½ November 9, 2015
I had a desire to re-visit an old friend that I hadn't watched in many years and Beetlejuice won that toss. Watching it I noticed that I prefer earlier Burton films as they are slightly less stylized. There is a clear stamp of his design aesthetic but Beetlejuice is oddly bright when compared to the directors more modern works. This viewing could easily be seen through a haze of youthful memories but everyone had wonderful performances, especially Michael Keaton which should never be a surprise. I recommend this to everyone.
November 9, 2015
Beetlejuice is definitely uneven in terms of storytelling and pacing while also having some tonal inconsistencies, but it is such a wildly original, wonderfully entertaining and hugely imaginative work filled with some beautiful imagery, memorable story, well developed characters, terrific humor and some great antics.
November 7, 2015
A couple played by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis, find themselves in a car wreck and are killed. They awaken in a limbo state of purgatory where they must live at ghosts. New visitors start living in there home and they feel the need to scare them out so they can live in peace. They find themselves loving the young daughter (Winona Ryder) so feel they can only rely on the odd Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) to help them out. Beetlejuice has its moments and Keaton does a great job. Add the typical Burton style and the movie is well made and packaged.
November 4, 2015
I've always loved the sense of family about this movie. Adam and Barbara have one of my favorite on screen marriages. Also Michael Keaton doin his thing.
October 31, 2015
Delightful horror comedy that, while has aged a bit, holds up as one of Tim Burton's better movies. Michael Keaton is superb in the title role, disappearing under the make-up & props while stealing every scene with is fast-talking, twisted performance (it will take multiple viewings to catch everything he says). Surprisingly, he's not in the movie that much (he's more of a supporting character) though he owns every second he's one screen. Thankfully, the rest of the cast is fun, with Baldwin & Davis charming as a couple who so love their house they want the new, living residents out (a nice twist on a haunting) while Winona Ryder was about to hit her hot streak with Lydia. Behind the camera, Burton delivers some atmospheric & fun direction, with great visual effects that while aged, still work in giving an 'otherworldly feel' (the depictions of the netherworld are gorgeous). Plus, Danny Elfman delivers his first classic score, so much that many will recognize the main theme before realizing it came from this movie. However, not every joke hits and some subplots are not explored enough to give the film extra heart. Specifically, it's hinted that Adam & Barbara were unable to have children, which would have made they're relationship with Lydia more potent. Overall, still a fun & creepy movie, and worth watching just for Keaton's epic performance alone.
½ October 31, 2015
An unmatched festival of offbeat insanity and brilliant originality, rooted by Burton's emerging stylish direction and Keaton's madcap acting.
½ October 30, 2015
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the rules are in Tim Burton's version of the afterlife, but it doesn't matter -- the macabre humor somehow manages to be both light and creepy at the same time, and Keaton steals the show (and the movie title) despite limited screen time.

Grade: B+
October 25, 2015
Now I can say I've FINALLY seen this.
October 24, 2015
"Beetlejuice" is one of Tim Burton's more appealing work for adults and kids that is crazy imaginative and includes Michael Keaton's iconic role as a creepy, but funny maniac helping a dead couple get their house back.
October 14, 2015
Maniacly gorgeous family film.
October 4, 2015
A must see film for everyone!
October 3, 2015
Burton's aesthetic in almost it's purest form matched with a script that mostly works and a really great cast. Burton's always cared more about the look of his films than their plot, and it's still evident here. More work went into the visuals here than fixing the pacing of the film in the couple of places where it doesn't quite work, but the visuals are incredible, so I'm really fine with the few flaws. It's also worth noting that the casting here is flawless, and that's a feature shared by all of Burton's films that work and none of them that don't.
October 1, 2015
There are definite dead spots, but when it's on ; Which is pretty much any time Michael Keaton is on screen, it's pretty damn funny, and the production design is stunning.
September 26, 2015
I loved this movie when I was younger! Great film
September 21, 2015
A young couple (Alec Baldwin & Geena Davis) die in a sudden accident and are subsequently horrified to discover that a bunch of snotty New Yorkers have moved into their house. Unable to frighten these people away on their own, the naive ghosts turn to an unscrupulous "bio-exorcist" (Michael Keaton) with an agenda of his own. Beetlejuice is a fun and visually inventive romp that solidified many of the tropes that Tim Burton would draw upon for the remainder of his directorial career. The set designs and costumes are terrific, Danny Elfman's music underscores the story perfectly, the humor is keen, the pacing is professional, the many uses of Harry Belafonte's catalog are nice touches, and the film boasts classic performances by Keaton and Winona Ryder as the sullen Lydia.
September 20, 2015
One of the few scary movies to ever scare me and it was a comedy.
September 14, 2015
This movie is amazing still holds up to this date. Tim Burton proves whit this movie that his direction style is genius the atmosphere that he created just sucks you in and you are with the story since the first second he made the movie fun but really dark at the same time. Michael Keaton, Michael god damn Keaton delivered one of the best and most iconic performances of all time he was made for this role he was amazing he stole ever scene he was in he was so good. Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder and Geena Davis where great as well the story was great and so much fun to watch i was never bored while watching this film.
½ September 9, 2015
this movie never gets old
½ September 6, 2015
This movie seemed to promise so much at the time. I didnt really think much of it. A bit disjointed. My mate who I went with really liked it...??? For me its nothing special