Before I Hang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before I Hang Reviews

October 1, 2012
An interesting plot make this a must-see for Karloff fans--A Lot Happens Before He Hangs!!
October 1, 2011
Im enjoying getting familiar w/ Karloff's work. Of course he's notorious as Frankenstein but you really need to get outside of that. Sometimes you get a really good movie like Corridors of Blood & Grip of the Strangler; sometimes you get the not so good like The Ape & Isle of the Dead but even in the not so good ones it's always worth watching Karloff's performance because he's so fascinating real to the role. When I started watching Before I Hang I was thinking Karloff sure looks like an old man..how fucking old was he when he made this movie but in fact he's playing beyond his years he's so real. He's great to watch in this as a convicted doctor (for Kevorkian methods) who takes the serum to the secrete to denying the deteriorated process of age mixed w/ a killer's blood. The only thing that keeps my rating down is that this is @ least 15 minutes too short. On Karloff's performance alone it's brilliant
January 18, 2011
Moral of the story is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
September 21, 2010
This isn't a believable story even for a horror movie, and it reminds me of a lot of other movies like this.
April 8, 2010
Mildly diverting chiller features a Karloff and Edward Van Sloan together again as doctors in search of immortality. The premise is actually pretty good, but once the movie plays its Jekyll and Hyde card, the movie loses some interest. The notion that having the blood of a killer in you would make you murder lacks the visual terror of say Mad Love, where its the hands or even the brain in Frankenstein. Sloan is great in his short supporting turn and its great to see him onscreen with Karloff. Karloff brings his dependable talents to the part, playing the change after the operation takes place very effectively. The rest of the cast leave little or no impression and the movie falls into a predicatble pattern once Karloff starts murdering his old friends. Have to say I think I'd pass on seeing this unless you are a die-hard Karloff fan.
½ January 26, 2010
Enjoyable Karloff mad scientist movie. At 60mins, it doesn't wear out its welcome.
½ October 16, 2009
An overly silly scenario that tries to take itself seriously. It's entertaining and Karloff's killings look great with the shadowy lighting but there really isn't much else. The opening also feels like a repeat of his earlier vehicle, "The Man They Could Not Hang". A strange coincidence. Hmmm...
½ November 9, 2008
Ok. Kharloff is good.
½ January 14, 2008
Good Karloff movie about a scientist who becomes a killer after an experiment goes wrong. It's kind of slow and clich├ęd, but Karloff makes it work. Edward Van Sloan is a welcomed addition to the cast too.
December 14, 2007
Sweet Karloff film where he gives one of his better performances. A little hampered by slow plot and lack of horror.
October 26, 2007
Decent enough Karloff feature. Karloff figures out a serum that reverses aging. It of course makes him crazy. Good stuff. It's hard not to think that some of these would be crap with out the dignity Karloff brings. Very underrated actor.
January 7, 2007
Before I Hang
Starring: Boris Karloff, Evelyn Keyes, Edward Van Sloan, Bruce Bennett, and Don Beddoe
Director: Nick Grinde

John Garth (Karloff), a research scientist who devoted his career to cure the disease of aging, developes a successful anti-aging serum that has one teeny-tiny side-effect: It turns him into a mad killer whenever he sees blood.

This is a decent little horror flick with sci-fi overtones and elements that resonate even louder today than they did when it was released in 1940. With its themes of mercy-killings of suffering old people, the death penelty, stem cell research, and anti-aging drugs (I can see Dr. Garth working in one of those "anti-aging clinics" we have a small chain of here in the Northwest), the fillm has something to say on a number of topics that remain the subject of heated discussion in the halls of both scientific and political power.

With good acting--Boris Karloff once again does a great job at transforming one character he is playing into another one, with just his facial expression and body language to help him--and the supporting cast are all excellent in their parts.

This is an interesting flick that might well be a real classic, due to its timeless subject matter.