Before I Hang Reviews

• Oct 01, 2012

An interesting plot make this a must-see for Karloff fans--A Lot Happens Before He Hangs!!

• Oct 01, 2011

Im enjoying getting familiar w/ Karloff's work. Of course he's notorious as Frankenstein but you really need to get outside of that. Sometimes you get a really good movie like Corridors of Blood & Grip of the Strangler; sometimes you get the not so good like The Ape & Isle of the Dead but even in the not so good ones it's always worth watching Karloff's performance because he's so fascinating real to the role. When I started watching Before I Hang I was thinking Karloff sure looks like an old man..how fucking old was he when he made this movie but in fact he's playing beyond his years he's so real. He's great to watch in this as a convicted doctor (for Kevorkian methods) who takes the serum to the secrete to denying the deteriorated process of age mixed w/ a killer's blood. The only thing that keeps my rating down is that this is @ least 15 minutes too short. On Karloff's performance alone it's brilliant

• Jan 18, 2011

Moral of the story is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Moral of the story is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

This isn't a believable story even for a horror movie, and it reminds me of a lot of other movies like this.

• Apr 08, 2010

Mildly diverting chiller features a Karloff and Edward Van Sloan together again as doctors in search of immortality. The premise is actually pretty good, but once the movie plays its Jekyll and Hyde card, the movie loses some interest. The notion that having the blood of a killer in you would make you murder lacks the visual terror of say Mad Love, where its the hands or even the brain in Frankenstein. Sloan is great in his short supporting turn and its great to see him onscreen with Karloff. Karloff brings his dependable talents to the part, playing the change after the operation takes place very effectively. The rest of the cast leave little or no impression and the movie falls into a predicatble pattern once Karloff starts murdering his old friends. Have to say I think I'd pass on seeing this unless you are a die-hard Karloff fan.

• Jan 26, 2010

Enjoyable Karloff mad scientist movie. At 60mins, it doesn't wear out its welcome.

• Oct 16, 2009

An overly silly scenario that tries to take itself seriously. It's entertaining and Karloff's killings look great with the shadowy lighting but there really isn't much else. The opening also feels like a repeat of his earlier vehicle, "The Man They Could Not Hang". A strange coincidence. Hmmm...

• Nov 09, 2008

Ok. Kharloff is good.

Ok. Kharloff is good.

• Jan 14, 2008

Good Karloff movie about a scientist who becomes a killer after an experiment goes wrong. It's kind of slow and clichéd, but Karloff makes it work. Edward Van Sloan is a welcomed addition to the cast too.

• Dec 14, 2007

Sweet Karloff film where he gives one of his better performances. A little hampered by slow plot and lack of horror.