Before Night Falls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Night Falls Reviews

½ July 9, 2013
Works because of the strong source material, but also fails because the director messes it up at times.
½ July 1, 2013
An artistic biography. Great performance from Javier Bardem and I will never forget Johnny Depp as a transvestite. But who cares?
April 12, 2013
One of my all-time favourite movies. Bardem is magnificent as the lead, the soundtrack is so beautiful that I purchased it just to listen to it alone and the clever cameos by Johnny Depp are a treat. This film touches the heart of what it is to be an artist, especially one living through the toughest of conditions.
½ February 25, 2013
It's an horrific and tragic story, but somehow made beautiful through the care and attention of Schnabel's direction and Bardem's tender, unforgettable performance.
January 1, 2013
Enjoyed it. The acting was mostly topnotch and the script is without fault.

However I didn't find anything here that I felt catapulted this above comparable films...
December 7, 2012
Worth watching would like to see and study.
November 20, 2012
One of Bardem's shows. A-must-see gem.
November 3, 2012
beautiful, tragic, and artistically marvelous
October 31, 2012
A great movie so well directed and acted by Mr. Bardem
October 13, 2012
I know nothing about Reinaldo Arenas, but I still found this movie really interesting. And looking at it from an artistic point of view, it's also brilliantly acted and visually beautiful. It's very long, and a bit slow paced, so it probably won't appeal to everyone, but I found it pretty engaging.
½ August 23, 2012
Julian Schnabel's BEFORE NIGHT FALLS looks just like a movie about being gay and boning every guy that comes your way. I couldn't get past the first 40 minutes.
It's a shame really i'm a HUGE fan of Javier Bardem and Johnny Depp. The reviews are staggering and emphasis Before Night Falls to be 1 of the great films that hit the Cinema. Yet it just felt tedious, strained and flawed terribly with its storyline.
½ August 15, 2012
Gave me some good insights into Cuban history with good acting, but it was a bit too drawn out at times. It did manage to convey the beauty of Arenas' poetic thought. One of the great quotes from it was:

"Cubans are defined by noise. It is their nature. They need to bother others. They can neither enjoy or suffer in silence."
July 31, 2012
This screen depiction of the life of gay writer Reinaldo Arenas (1943-1990) lacks the gutsy convictions of its source material. Stylish cinematography and strong performances make this watchable, but more often than not, the story lacks punch.
July 29, 2012
Boring, pretentious and illogical, Bardem's performance and a cameo by Johnny Depp are the only reasons to watch this.
July 10, 2012
Strange and strangely appealing film by Julian Schnabel about Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas. Bardem is very good and there are truly weird cameos by Sean Penn and Johnny Depp (too weird for description really!).
Well worth hunting out.
½ July 1, 2012
Javier's best performance
May 23, 2012
The funny, profoundly artistic, and heartbreakingly sincere tale of a Cuban writer whose life is plagued by aesthetic, social, and political turmoil. The filmmaking is beautiful here; Julian Schnabel is an undeniable master.
½ May 20, 2012
The movie transpires some of the mood of Arena's stories. Recommend.
May 13, 2012
Good, but not quite great. Excellent acting by Javier Bardem.
½ May 13, 2012