Before Sunset - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Sunset Reviews

September 5, 2016
Damn. I almost wish I had no idea there was a third film in this series waiting for me to watch. This one ends so perfectly I can assume bad things are in store for this charming pair in their next film.
But regardless of the happy ending here this film continues the overwhelming strength of the first film with remarkable performances from Delpy and Hawke, a wonderful believable screenplay, and some simple but perfect filmmaking from Linklater.
Can't wait to explore the final chapter.
½ August 30, 2016
Definitely much more mature than the first one..as expected the acting and chemistry between the actors is superb along with great camera work..the best way to describe this movie would be to say that its "realistic"
August 16, 2016
In "Before Sunrise", Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply play a couple of young adults who meet in Vienna, share a deep connection and a night together before departing and promising to meet each other back in Vienna in 6 months. It's a remarkable film that celebrates the deep connections between people that can form very quickly sometimes, and celebrates the art of dialogue and talking in films. "Before Sunset" reunites the couple 9 years later in Paris. Hawke has written a book about their night together in the first film, and at a book signing in Paris, he meets Delpy again. This is a very good sequel. It has all of the virtues of the first film, but it also deepens them by dealing with characters who are older and have new situations to confront. Both characters have more commitments now, and have encountered some of life's important compromises and disappointments, so their passion for each other is a bit tempered by an increased dose of reality.
July 3, 2016
I'm so glad I only had to wait a couple months (until I got together with my friend) to watch this film rather than the 9 years real fans had to wait.

It was definitely different, but still managed to capture the real essence of perhaps not love, but true connection and passion. It was so basic, so simple, and even awkward at times. The whole film is just an hour and a half long conversation between two people and feels as though it was shot in one scene. It was very quick paced, but nothing was really happening. Rather than an audience member watching someone tell a story, I felt like a stranger eavesdropping on a conversation two other people are having.

The ending did leave a slight sense of unsatisfaction and felt like it was cut a bit short, but is making me think that Jesse is ready to just throw away his life back in America and move to Europe.

I'm really glad I won't have to wait another 9 years to see the third film. :)
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 16, 2016
Great performances and amazing dialogues.
June 14, 2016
Thankfully this sequel wasn't terrible; I swear I felt some of the feelings that they were feeling, yet I've never been in love. I've had moments where I wept because of the intensity and sincerity that these people expressed. I'm highly anticipating in watching the last part of this magnificent trilogy. It's much sadder than the first because their lives have changed. Nevertheless I'm in awe.
June 11, 2016
So simple, so natural (if not a little too snappy), so real, Yet totally out of this world romantic.
½ June 6, 2016
Following the formula of its predecessor, Before Sunset boasts thought-provoking dialogues, modern romance and deft performances from its leads.
May 4, 2016
Was kind of expecting more out of it, but I enjoyed the sense of conflict and the feeling of longing they had for time lost. However, I didn't like how it felt so shallow at the beginning after where they left off in the last film...was a bit odd to me. Felt it could have gone deeper.
May 1, 2016
This picks up nine years after Jesse and Celine's first and only magical night together. But this time around, the moments are much less magic-filled. After some catching up, the two share their regrets and the demons they're battling in their outside relationships, marriage, and parenthood. Their biggest regret is that they'll never know what their lives would have been like if they had met again sooner. This is a much more mature story than Before Sunrise. At this point in my life, I'm not sure I can completely relate to what the characters are going through. But Jesse and Celine are so genuine, it's entrancing watching the two interact again. 8/10.
April 29, 2016
Compared to "Before Sunrise," "Before Sunset" isn't nearly as thought-provoking, engaging, or, most importantly, interesting.
March 2, 2016
Richard Linklater's shortest feature film is probably one of his best. It's witty, romantic and insightful that tells a wonderful romantic story without following any cliches in any other romance films.
½ February 26, 2016
I never really thought "Before Sunrise" needed a sequel, but I'm glad they made one. "Before Sunset" was wonderful. It was so nice getting to revisit these characters. I thought it was beautifully written and acted. Julie Delpy brought just enough bitterness into the now older Celine. And Ethan Hawke brought just enough sadness and torn emotion into his now older Jesse. Loved the cinematography too. My only complaint was that it was way too short! It wasn't even an hour and a half long. It left me wanting more.
February 7, 2016
Before Sunset is definitely a leap from its predecessor but still a bit boring.
February 5, 2016
Completely overrated as the movie is tremendously boring but to give it credit, the performances were wonderful and the cinematography was lovely.
January 20, 2016
Most appealing about the "Before ..." films is that their romance is consuming without being in your face about it. In them, we are witnesses to the relationship between the greatest cinematic couple of the 1990s, Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Céline (Julie Delpy), but we aren't moved by their love because they can't keep their hands off each other, because physical passion is sexier than anything us average folks could muster. We're are, instead, moved by watching them speak to each other, divulging their laments on life, love, their fears, their pleasures. Affection hovers in their eyes, but their relation is as cerebral as it is physically magnetic. We could listen to them converse for days, their musings wise yet sweeping when in the presence of the other.
"Before Sunset" is an improvement from its predecessor, the wonderful "Before Sunrise" (1995), the characters being older and less optimistic than they once were, the content establishing itself as more involving, and with a screenplay written by the leading actors themselves and thereby strengthening the likable realism of the film. More is at stake, a sense of yearning for fulfillment being much more urgent. The fleeting nature of "Before Sunrise" is nowhere to be found, a special, temporary night being replaced by a now-or-never afternoon in which self-reflection is integral. And we like Jesse and Céline more now, fond of how they've matured in the crossroads of being a thirty-something.
Because much has changed in the nine years since they saw each other last: Jesse is unhappily married and has a young son, and Céline has dedicated her professional life to a sizable amount of activism. Them coming across each other by too-good-to-be-true chance perhaps isn't so strange: Jesse has become a hugely successful author in the last decade or so, his latest best-seller being a semi-autobiographical tale about his fateful night with Céline. He's on a press tour, his last stop Paris. Céline catches him just as he's leaving what she bills her "favorite bookstore." And so begins hours of chatter, both small and big, both witty and confessional.
Those familiar with "Before Sunrise" might recall an ending that promised that the central twosome would meet again in Vienna after six months, exchanging no contact information solely because trust seemed like enough. But in "Before Sunset," it is revealed that, while Jesse came as promised, Céline did not, due to familial tragedy. This change of fate acts as the center of the film - what would have happened had the couple met again half-a-year later? they (and we) ask themselves (and ourselves) over and over again. And so the movie is a second chance, and a lyrical one at that.
We are embroiled in this relationship, and, differing from most film characters, we love Jesse and Céline. We want them to be together in a way never felt in most romantic films, as we feel like we know them, have spent time with them, unlike most where a few cute incidents and dramatic make-out sessions are enough to enforce true love. Jesse and Céline are the rare exception because their affection seems genuine; it's like watching people watch in love, and we take for granted what an enthralling experience that can be in the movies.
Most impressive is the repartee between Hawke, Delpy, and director Richard Linklater, who work together so fluidly that completing the sentence of the other wouldn't be out of the question. Hawke and Delpy have effervescent electricity running in-between them, and their dialogue, co-written with Linklater, suggests improvisation when the truth is totally otherwise. What they do here is enormously difficult - how can a sequel be a cohesive continuation, and how can a film whose success is solely based on conversation act as a feature? - but it looks effortless.
So where "Before Sunrise" was a poignant indie exercise, "Before Sunset" draws on what made it great and transforms itself into a poignant indie masterpiece. I cannot think of a modern romance film that has affected me so immensely - it's one of the best ever made, without all that Hugh and Julia bullshit that I sometimes like. Imagine that.
January 17, 2016
It is something common in Hollywood to create unnecessary sequels, and a common genre who is the target of this statement are romantic comedies, but considering how unique "Before Sunrise" was, it is shocking that Linklater decided to make a sequel nine years later. Does the romance between Jesse & Celine is a story worthy of a sequel? Is this as unique as "Sunrise"?
Nine years after the events of "Before Sunrise", Jesse has become a bestselling novelist thanks to a book based on the events of that night with Celine. On his promotional world tour, he ends up meeting Celine again in France.
While I understood why "Before Sunrise" achieved its cult status and I praised most of the techniques used to tell that story, I found it underwhelming to my taste thus I wasn't exactly anxious to see Jesse & Celine again, but surprisingly this sequel managed to surpass my expectations (which admittedly weren't that high to begin with). "Before Sunset" takes all that made its predecessor as beloved as it is: The acting is even better, Linklater´s directing is more personal and even more showoffy due to some long takes, even gorgeous settings, the characters are more developed, the pacing takes advantage of every single minute of this short running time, the comedy is still somewhat funny, the interactions are as relatable as last time (or even more, or at least for me), the minimal soundtrack works when it is used, and the romance is taken to new directions but it still is believable. But the best thing of this sequel is the script. Thanks to Hawk and Delpy, the dialog is no longer the pretentious hippie Linklater´s trademark, it is natural, adequate to the age of these characters, emotional when it's appropriate, and overall more engaging.
"Before Sunset" is one of those sequels that are undeniably better than the original. It has all the elements that made the first one as unique and enjoyable but mixed with a more mature script and even powerful emotional moments.
January 14, 2016
Incredible movie. Funny, sweet, incredibly realistic in its dialogue, due to the fantastic script from the film's stars, beautiful cinematography, and a fantastic chemistry from Hawke and Delpy. This follow-up to the fantastic 1995 film captures the real feel of these characters and their lives and the few hours they have together.