Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead Reviews

June 7, 2015
I love it! This is one of those films where you never loose a track whenever the story is backtracked a bit. And I love the characterization in this film. It shows how each of the character's in-depth scenes on and before the incident happened. I've seen few suspense flicks that has this good execution. The pace keeps me on track, I was intrigue on what's gonna happen, how he or she will survive till it surpass the climax. By the first half the story, you will know everything is already messed up. The 2nd half of the story, they already f*cked up. One of the assets of this film is the performances. I love the performances especially to Philip Seymour Hoffman, he is amazing in this film. A must see Suspense Drama! Final Sidney Lumet film. One of the best! RIP! 4/5 Stars
May 30, 2015
The devastating consequences of being needy for recognition and affection - to me, this was the primary message in Before the devil know's you're dead. Andy always felt excluded from the family - "are you my father" he asked Charles. And off course he ventured off in the wrong direction; he became self-absorbed, considering no-one but himself. But it soon caught up with him; in desperate need of cash, he thought he had a clever plan, a plan that went horribly wrong!
Before the devil knows you're dead is not a new film (2007) but one I missed for some or other reason. With Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney, a strong cast, it is a gripping drama; a very good movie I can recommend.
½ April 25, 2015
A masterfully crafted series of events through the perspectives of each of the characters affected by a robbery. Shows how greed and wealth can get the best of you
April 10, 2015
With a plethora of exceptional performances and an intriguing fractured-narrative device, Lumet cultivates an experience that is both moving and tense with characters that feel like actual people on trajectories that anyone could belong to if pushed to a certain point.
March 15, 2015
85%
Saw this on 13/2/15
Sidney Lumet's last film is a tense crime thriller with freat performances from Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Albert Finney. The plot is rather odd and original and packed with exciting characters, but the ending is unsatisfactory. Marisa Tomei has nothing to do here other than flash her tits.
January 24, 2015
In terms of performances, writing, atmosphere, narrative structure and pacing, this film is in a word: perfect.

Sidney Lumet is one of the great filmmakers of all time, and he's seen at his absolute peak here. Its a film that's so well made that it's striking. I know that's the most clichà (C) movie reviewer thing to say, but it's the only word I can find. Striking.

Lumet paces the film in a way that's as if he's just as invested as the characters involed in the actual story. There isn't a single detail left untold, and every detail feels strong and relevant. Not a single scene is boring and not a single scene feels forced at all. Again, it's perfect.

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Marisa Tomei deliver Oscar-worthy acting, but the major standout for me is the always fantastic Ethan Hawke.

I absolutely love this movie!
January 24, 2015
Fantastic crime drama/thriller! This time i agree with the critics.
January 20, 2015
The final Sidney Lumet's film, about a "normal family" with their little "problems", great perfomances.
January 15, 2015
Sidney Lumets last movie is an almost Shakespearian tragedy about two brothers and a heist gone wrong. Has lots of seventies feel and excellent performances from the cast playing surprisingly unlikeable characters.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty good crime drama movie with Ethan Hawke. Two brothers are in big trouble with their life and decides to make it better with an easy robbery , or they thought it "would" be easy.. The movie was well done with a nice story and its an average flick for its genre.
January 1, 2015
Lots of bad feelings...
½ December 18, 2014
To Cassandra's Dreams htan polu kalutero...
November 16, 2014
An excellent drama focusing around this dysfunctional family and a deadly plot gone wrong. I love the fact the story is told in a non-linear fashion and the way things unfold is masterfully crafted. I would recommend this film filled with seasoned performances and excellent story-telling. Watch it.
October 10, 2014
great movie! make sure to pay attention
½ October 6, 2014
This is a case study on how you work great talent in front and behind the camera into one terrific thriller.
August 26, 2014
January 28-29th 2011
August 25 2014
August 21, 2014
This movie could also be called "Hank Hansen's Most Horrible String of Events Known to Mankind." This movie was so emotionally raw, and so exhausting. It was soooo emotionally draining. There were no redemptive moments, no characters to root for. I definitely would not recommend this movie to anyone.
August 16, 2014
A very well done film! A great film about the wages of sin and the complications of family whose depths of depravity rival those of Shakespeare's works.
½ August 10, 2014
A tad uninteresting at times but perfectly acted/directed. Depressing stuff.
August 3, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/7/2011)