Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead Reviews

November 28, 2015
A great cast, but for me the movie was trying to do too much, and so it did not really work for me. It is not a thriller but more the portrayal of two brothers who think they did not make it and so feel the need to ro the family store.
November 25, 2015
When people ask me to give them movie suggestions for some reason this is always right at the top of my list. This is one of those movies that it seems like not many people, that I know at least, have seen or even heard of. And with a top notch director and a very well known cast its hard for me to understand. I honestly think the title throws people off. Maybe they think that it is some kind of horror movie ? I am not really sure. But for the people that have not seen this movie, you are certainly missing out on something really good. I cannot delve too deep into the plot because it would give things away right off the start just by explaining what the movie is about. I will just say that the opening scene will leave you wanting more, and the way the movie progresses the movie will keep you wondering and have you interested throughout the duration of the film. Sometimes you come across people in life that seem to have it all together. They have the good job, the good looking girlfriend, money, nice suits, respect etc... But in reality it is all smoke in mirrors and that exterior is just hiding something that is breaking inside of them. I guess when it boils down to it this movie is a drama, but it is so much more than that. It is hard to really categorize Before the Devil Knows Your Dead because there are many elements that make it a great movie. This film really shows the extreme lengths people will go to when they are desperate. Not just desperate for money but also desperate for approval. Phillip Seymour Hoffman once again gives a great performance. But the standout here for me is Ethan Hawke. Hawke plays Hoffman's loser, down on his luck brother who just can't seem to do anything right. The interaction between the two brothers through the movie is downright awesome. Both actors are outstanding in each role. Before The Devil Knows Your Dead will keep you on the edge of your seat, shock you, and sometimes will downright frighten you. Do not be fooled by this long and strange title, give this movie a chance and watch it, you will not be disappointed.
½ October 21, 2015
A very effective and tense thriller from Sidney Lumet.
July 22, 2015
Well acted, but needlessly convoluted and slightly pretentious, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead stutters along with what should have been a simple but effective story.
July 19, 2015
Intense, haunting, and terrifically acted. Genius
½ June 16, 2015
PSH and Ethan Hawke work great together. Robbing your own parents is an interesting crime.
June 7, 2015
I love it! This is one of those films where you never loose a track whenever the story is backtracked a bit. And I love the characterization in this film. It shows how each of the character's in-depth scenes on and before the incident happened. I've seen few suspense flicks that has this good execution. The pace keeps me on track, I was intrigue on what's gonna happen, how he or she will survive till it surpass the climax. By the first half the story, you will know everything is already messed up. The 2nd half of the story, they already f*cked up. One of the assets of this film is the performances. I love the performances especially to Philip Seymour Hoffman, he is amazing in this film. A must see Suspense Drama! Final Sidney Lumet film. One of the best! RIP! 4/5 Stars
May 30, 2015
The devastating consequences of being needy for recognition and affection - to me, this was the primary message in Before the devil know's you're dead. Andy always felt excluded from the family - "are you my father" he asked Charles. And off course he ventured off in the wrong direction; he became self-absorbed, considering no-one but himself. But it soon caught up with him; in desperate need of cash, he thought he had a clever plan, a plan that went horribly wrong!
Before the devil knows you're dead is not a new film (2007) but one I missed for some or other reason. With Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney, a strong cast, it is a gripping drama; a very good movie I can recommend.
½ April 25, 2015
A masterfully crafted series of events through the perspectives of each of the characters affected by a robbery. Shows how greed and wealth can get the best of you
April 10, 2015
With a plethora of exceptional performances and an intriguing fractured-narrative device, Lumet cultivates an experience that is both moving and tense with characters that feel like actual people on trajectories that anyone could belong to if pushed to a certain point.
March 15, 2015
85%
Saw this on 13/2/15
Sidney Lumet's last film is a tense crime thriller with freat performances from Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Albert Finney. The plot is rather odd and original and packed with exciting characters, but the ending is unsatisfactory. Marisa Tomei has nothing to do here other than flash her tits.
January 24, 2015
In terms of performances, writing, atmosphere, narrative structure and pacing, this film is in a word: perfect.

Sidney Lumet is one of the great filmmakers of all time, and he's seen at his absolute peak here. Its a film that's so well made that it's striking. I know that's the most clichà (C) movie reviewer thing to say, but it's the only word I can find. Striking.

Lumet paces the film in a way that's as if he's just as invested as the characters involed in the actual story. There isn't a single detail left untold, and every detail feels strong and relevant. Not a single scene is boring and not a single scene feels forced at all. Again, it's perfect.

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Marisa Tomei deliver Oscar-worthy acting, but the major standout for me is the always fantastic Ethan Hawke.

I absolutely love this movie!
January 24, 2015
Fantastic crime drama/thriller! This time i agree with the critics.
January 20, 2015
The final Sidney Lumet's film, about a "normal family" with their little "problems", great perfomances.
January 15, 2015
Sidney Lumets last movie is an almost Shakespearian tragedy about two brothers and a heist gone wrong. Has lots of seventies feel and excellent performances from the cast playing surprisingly unlikeable characters.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty good crime drama movie with Ethan Hawke. Two brothers are in big trouble with their life and decides to make it better with an easy robbery , or they thought it "would" be easy.. The movie was well done with a nice story and its an average flick for its genre.
January 1, 2015
Lots of bad feelings...
½ December 18, 2014
To Cassandra's Dreams htan polu kalutero...
November 16, 2014
An excellent drama focusing around this dysfunctional family and a deadly plot gone wrong. I love the fact the story is told in a non-linear fashion and the way things unfold is masterfully crafted. I would recommend this film filled with seasoned performances and excellent story-telling. Watch it.
October 10, 2014
great movie! make sure to pay attention