Before the Music Dies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before the Music Dies Reviews

January 13, 2009
Everybody should see this movie.They should show this movie at schools on PBS everywhere. It show's why the music industry is in the crapper.Same with radio.
September 17, 2008
excellent depiction of the changing music industry. shows the heart and soul behind music and shows how corporations are trying to control, manufacture, and exploit the industry without caring about real talent or something extraordinary. so in a sense, music is dead. the film very much takes the position of a music fan, opposed to an industry professional and has a very unbiased tone. other than they don't really like the way the industry is going...but who does?
September 8, 2008
This is definitely one of the most important films/documentaries of our generation.

An in depth, very accurate investigation and analysis of the music industry today, and how unhealthy radio and record label companies actually are. It's an eye-opening real look into the meaning of music and where it's supposed to come from.

This is a must see for any music fan and for everyone in between.
August 5, 2008
Very interesting docu and a great bunch of live acts from great artists. Love the James Brown part =)
April 20, 2008
After seeing this you will thank God for the internet as a resource to find new music
April 16, 2008
A must for anyone wantin to know more about the business side of music.
March 30, 2008
Best documentary for REAL music lovers.
March 27, 2008
Wanted to see this for a while. This is mostly focusing on the downfall of music industry for USA peeps rather than the entire world (I would have loved to seen reggaeton and other genres criticized), but it's still very good to watch.
March 10, 2008
It's okay. Some great interviews. It made me not hate Dave Matthews as a person, just a musician.
March 5, 2008
pretty good and depressing accurate portrayal of where the music industry is right now... and fuck you to bands like paramore and hawthorne heights for getting us here...
February 20, 2008
where did all the good bands go? this movie helps answer that.
February 20, 2008
It's always hard to review a documentary, mainly because I'm usually torn between reviewing it as a film or reviewing the content it is examining. Content wise, this is a must see for any music fan. There is finally a public voice expressing the opinions held by many, and that is exactly what a documentary should be. On the other hand, reviewing it as a film it was lacking. On a whole, with many interesting point of views, quotes, and performances, I do highly recommend watching this film...
February 19, 2008
One of, if not THE, most important documentary on music and pop culture of this generation. Possibly ever. EVERY musician and music fan needs to see this.
February 13, 2008
It will open your eyes if they are not already opened
February 10, 2008
It points out how much radio sucks. Screw that act that passed in 1996
½ February 10, 2008
I think the most important point that was brought up in this documentary is the effect that mass market, non diverse radio and music is having on a whole generation who know nothing else and have never had a bob dylan or some other unique artist come to the mainstream and broaden their horizons. I think we need to look at our entire culture and think of what we lose with the increasingly ridiculous short sightedness of business.

They did go into clear channel and the effects of media consolidation a little, but they didn't really go into any of the monopolistic effects of clear channel owning most of the major venues in the cities where they dominate the airwaves.
½ February 5, 2008
a kind of interesting look at the music industry
December 30, 2007
Music fans will like this... save music before it dies!
November 1, 2007
This really should be required viewing for music fans and musicians alike.
½ September 28, 2007
Excellent - well worth watching!