Before Tomorrow (Le Jour avant le lendemain) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Tomorrow (Le Jour avant le lendemain) Reviews

October 2, 2011
A beautiful photography with a bit of education on the Inuit culture.
½ November 22, 2009
should be interesting
½ September 30, 2009
It's powerful and wholly naturalistic, but in its commitment to naturalism ends up being a little bit dull. It's a slice of Inuit life until the boy and his grandmother split away.
½ July 20, 2009
tho the story was not well laid out, this movie is more about character and culture. i personally enjoyed this movie because it's hard to find movies about my culture in southern ontario. to my friends in the south who is tired of the summer blockbuster blitz and want something different, i would suggest this movie.
June 11, 2009
Beyond the haunting, well-written story and lovely acting, this film provides a unique window into Inuit culture. It beautifully depicts dependence on the land and sea, the importance of story-telling and other pastimes, and reveals fascinating details about traditional Inuit life.
April 16, 2009
Following the iconic "Atanarjuat" and its less-praised follow-up "The Journals of Knud Rasmussen", "Before Tomorrow" is a meditative and elegiac filmic metaphor on the decline of traditional Inuit culture in the wake of European contact. Following an old woman and her grandson stranded alone in a cave after European disease kills their community, the all-Inuit production (produced by Zacharias Kunuk, who directed the previous two entries in the "trilogy") visualizes the isolation of its two main characters as set against the sad but beautiful desolation of the frozen North.

The point is repeated again and again by the grandmother (the remarkable Madeline Ivalu): a child cannot survive alone, and this mantra becomes an epitaph for the old Inuit way of life. "Before Tomorrow" is a film you have to come to, and it cuts no corners, lingering on long shots of Ivalu extinguishing her seal-fat lamp and providing only the briefest of incident. But it's a lovely movie if you let it be what it wants to be. If it has a flaw, it's the use of two perfectly pretty and meaningful folk songs by Kate & Anna McGarrigle. Thematically apt though they are, the inherent modernity of the songs on the soundtrack breaks the tenuous illusion and pulls the viewer out of the film's painstaking recreation of pre-colonial Inuit life. It takes you out of the film instead of pulling you in, and thus it's a poor choice of music. Beyond that, though, the film is a fine addition to the new tradition established by its predecessors.
April 13, 2009
I'm going to so take flack for this. A great effort by a team of first time filmmakers and yes...it is good that northern communities are making films but I found this dreadfully dull.
March 26, 2009
I really liked most of this movie, but I utterly hated the ending. Way too nihilistic, and I'm tired of seeing movies depicting Native cultures being destroyed by contact with Europeans. The Inuit are still here eh?
March 26, 2009
I was very excited to be invited to the Vancouver premiere of this film. The film incorporates many themes, including the cycle of life, and the history of contact between aboriginal peoples and European settlers. "BT" brilliantly reflects the cultural and spiritual values of the Inuit people. A great conclusion to this amazing trilogy!
February 10, 2009
Possessed of the intimate warmth of close family indoors and the unadorned grandeur of natural settings out of doors, but narratively choppy and padded with unnecessary musical digressions that, as good as they might be on their own, have a gloss that is a poor fit for the naturalism of its drama.