Beggars of Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beggars of Life Reviews

October 20, 2013
Life as a hobo on the open road, with Wallace Beery and lovely Louise Brooks.
November 10, 2011
A beautiful tribute to life in 1920s America with its wild and exciting opportunities and inevitable bad guys along the way. Simple storyline but very well executed with plenty of welcome distraction along the way.
½ March 1, 2011
a gritty and fascinating study of hobo life on the rails. louise brooks plays a girl who kills her abusive guardian and goes on the run dressed as a boy in the company of a young tramp. their journey through hobo jungles and hopping freights was mostly filmed on location with some great stuntwork. this was an experimental sound film but the brief talking sequences, and even a song by wallace beery, are now lost. wellman reportedly invented the boom mike on this picture. a forerunner of the depression era cinema and louise turns in an affecting performance, considered her best in an american film. it was her biggest part to date and her last before leaving for europe to make her mark in the films of georg wilhelm pabst. this film is on the internet archive in decent quality
July 19, 2010
Just saw this at festival accompanied by the Dodge Brothers. A poignant tale set in depression era America which at the end of the day is a love story where good wins over bad. I'd never heard of Louise Brooks, the starlet in this, who really convinced as the wrongly accused heroine..........
June 10, 2010
Stunning film; beautifully acted, filmed and written.
½ March 15, 2009
I enjoyed the first half well enough, with Brooks and Arlen just walking together and hopping trains. The scene in the haystack was really great. The more plot heavy 2nd half didn't interest me as much, and Beery's sudden change of heart is unconvincing. It would have been better without all the heroics at the end, which was actually not bad for its unsentimental ending. Louis Brooks was great here, especially dressed as a man. Even though the print was atrocious and really hurt the film's visual appeal, the night scenes early on were beautifully shot.
½ March 10, 2009
I love Louise Brooks but I pretty much dislike all the Wellman movies I've seen, and Beggars of Life is no exception. Part of it is certainly because the print is terrible, and if there's one thing silent films depend on it is the image. But when you can't see the images...The other flaws I am happy to blame on Wellman, because even though it's only 100 minutes Beggars of Life comes off as bloated as his other films. I think Louise Brooks was good, and I think Richard Arlen was okay. But it's hard to tell when I can't see what they're doing.
June 16, 2008
saw last year at SF Silent Film Fest...BRILLIANT
May 12, 2008
I have to watch this for my Slient film class.
January 16, 2008
Like most American films starring Louise Brooks, this one is little-known - very much in the shadow of "Pandora's Box", this not helped by the fact that it only survives in a VERY crappy print. Well worth picking up on DVD though (it's available non-officially from a couple of specialist suppliers - google the film's title and "DVD", you'll get there) as it's her best film IMO and her best performance too. She plays the adopted daughter of a farmer, who blows him away with a shotgun when he sexually molests her. She takes off on the run with a hobo, played by Richard Arlen, and the film follows their various misadventures as the head for Canada to escape the law. The film is tough, yet manages to be romantic at the same time. If one is interested in seeing one of Louise Brooks' films this is a good choice, IF you can put up with the poor image quality. If there was a good print of this available, I'd give it five stars.
½ June 21, 2007
My favorite Louise Brooks film and performance.
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this