Beginners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beginners Reviews

½ November 11, 2015
Not your typical popcorn movie, but it is a well made indie-drama. Beautiful performances from Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Melanie Laurent have driven this movie greatly, but this movie still has a charming yet sad story instilled to its core. Sadly, this is not the kind of movie I can watch again and again, and several scenes are dull and forgettable. All in all, it is a fine movie.
November 3, 2015
I recognize how people can like this film but for me I couldn't maintain any interest, looking at the genres listed on this site I can't agree with it as I didn't find Beginners to be either comedic or dramatic. Lukewarm water is all it is.
½ November 3, 2015
Beginners is a quirky tale about the many complexities of modern love. It offers artistic storytelling and sentimentality at its finest. Although it falls short on exploring in-depth multi-dimensional characters, the cast gives it their all and offers the audience a wonderful show.
October 24, 2015
Sooo much heart. Christopher Plummer is exceptional.
½ October 15, 2015
As Oliver Field's father, Hal, is discovering he has a cancerous tumor in his lung, there is one more thing he would like to get off his chest- he's gay. Over the next four years, Hal transforms into a fun-loving, eccentric, friendly man quite different from his routine, austere former self. Oliver sees these changes in his father, who is now terminally ill but trying to make light of it, and unknowingly changes himself.

"What is REAL?" 'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
These words stand at the core of the film. They were used by Oliver's father in an art opening he curated composed of stuffed animals collected in his community. At the time, unknown to Oliver, this art opening was most likely a tribute to the then recently deceased Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office. These words resonate in the lives of both Hal and Oliver, with Hal becoming real bit by bit, with Hal's stoic nature preventing him from indulging in exploration of his true self until he is widowed and near death. While Oliver becomes real all at once, leaping from his father's death in an exploration of love, happiness, and himself. Oliver's transformation from his former self takes the form of a young boy bearing witness to his parents' empty marriage to having the courage to explore the happiness in love on his own terms.

With excellent performances from Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer, Beginners manages to be both a comedy and a deeply moving portrait of a father and son. The bond between Oliver and his dog, Arthur captures and mimics the bond between Oliver and his mother as a young child. Mike Mills' autobiographical film uses tenderness and humor to sketch out the enduring bonds between the main characters.
½ September 27, 2015
This movie really touched my heart, love is not easy for everyone, it can be very scary for some, so I really related to this movie <3
July 17, 2015
Loved the movie. Good exploration of relationships. They do tend to explore a few too many but still works well together. Especially the Dad and Son interaction is special. Very good performances and direction.
½ June 23, 2015
I wish I could give this 0 stars. Another user said they turned it off after half an hour, oh how I wish I had. I kept waiting for it to turn around, it never did. Plummer got an Oscar for this?
It was painfully slow, and I found it extremely depressing on every level. Definitely one of, if not the worst film I've ever suffered through. I might prefer to have my wisdom teeth out again.
June 4, 2015
depressing and bored
May 15, 2015
A touching film about love in all its shapes, life and death with great performances from its leads and an interesting narrative. Worth watching if you're in the right mood for it.
½ May 10, 2015
Impossible not to fall for this movie. I'd give it a higher rating if Mills hadn't made Hal's cancer ordeal so "easy" looking. But realism is not always the most important part of a story -- especially when a character is looking back.
½ May 1, 2015
A non-linear slow paced drama that wins you over with subtle and genuine performances. And an adorable dog to boot.
April 18, 2015
God bless Christopher Plummer, what an inspiring performance.
March 26, 2015
I'm shocked this brilliant film hasn't gotten more attention. It explores life, the past, who we are today; and how it figures into our future. It is at times beautifully poetic, sometimes melancholy and others joyous. Everything about it is superb: the writing, direction and acting; all blissfully married together in one heartfelt journey. The dialogue is real, honest and sometimes brutal. I can't imagine anyone viewing this without being completely consumed and deeply moved.

Beginners is a film best viewed alone. It will stay with you, perhaps haunt you and most definitely cause you to reflect on your own unique and unpredictable life.
March 3, 2015
Beginners is a sweet, lovable story. Although the slow-pace and having the film jump around from time to time may not be for some, the film succeeds with a beautiful, top notch performance by Christopher Plummer.
½ February 22, 2015
Loved it. Kinda sad, but the story was well told. I keep falling for Mr. McGregor a little more every time I see him, and this did just that.
½ February 22, 2015
Great music, very slow paced while still very much on time to the events. Still easy to follow through bouncing back and forth time periods. Sensitive believable acting as characters moved forward in their development.
February 20, 2015
Mélanie Laurent was right in the movie , the expressions of the people you speak of many things, perfectly testable in Beginners .
Words fail me to express everything that has made me feel such situations to swim unknown in our society , as the characters face the events that befall them and their relations , as it can apparently be easy will inevitably complicate pro not cause major disasters both in life and in others by the inexperience of being beginners, because the complexity of life allows us to make mistakes both young and old . But despite being rookies, if we say yes to life and followed our instincts , we can make the sad and complex becomes cheerful and simple.