Beginners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beginners Reviews

March 3, 2015
Beginners is a sweet, lovable story. Although the slow-pace and having the film jump around from time to time may not be for some, the film succeeds with a beautiful, top notch performance by Christopher Plummer.
½ February 22, 2015
Loved it. Kinda sad, but the story was well told. I keep falling for Mr. McGregor a little more every time I see him, and this did just that.
½ February 22, 2015
Great music, very slow paced while still very much on time to the events. Still easy to follow through bouncing back and forth time periods. Sensitive believable acting as characters moved forward in their development.
February 20, 2015
Mélanie Laurent was right in the movie , the expressions of the people you speak of many things, perfectly testable in Beginners .
Words fail me to express everything that has made me feel such situations to swim unknown in our society , as the characters face the events that befall them and their relations , as it can apparently be easy will inevitably complicate pro not cause major disasters both in life and in others by the inexperience of being beginners, because the complexity of life allows us to make mistakes both young and old . But despite being rookies, if we say yes to life and followed our instincts , we can make the sad and complex becomes cheerful and simple.
½ February 6, 2015
Written and directed by Mike Mills (Paperboys (2001) and Thumbsucker (2005)), this romantic comedy drama was inspired by events from Mills' own life, when his own father came out as homosexual at the age of 75. It's an original idea for a film, and it does touch upon a plight most men faced in the old days, but kept it secret. As well as how family members might react when the bombshell is dropped. Told in a series of flashback, illustrator Oliver Fields (Ewan McGregor) remembers his recently departed father Hal (Christopher Plummer), who succumbed to cancer. After Hal's wife and Oliver's mother died, Hal comes out as gay, which is a big shock to his son, but Oliver comes to accept it. He never had much of a relationship with his father, rather spending more time with his free-spirited mother Georgia (Mary Page Keller). Shortly after his father's passing, Oliver meets French actress Anna (Mélanie Laurent), and pursues romance with Anna, using his father's postive open philosophy in life to keep the romance fresh. On the surface, something like this could have come across as mawkish and sentimental. But it has a quirky charm and a gentle sense of humour, and it manages to be bubbly and optomistic, even if death is a theme hanging over the film. But, it manages to be compelling and it's got something to say about modern relationships.
½ February 1, 2015
In Woody Allen's hands probably would've worked but although not without charm and wit, too much sentimental sloppy drivel.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:High 7/10

Beginners is a witty and sweet RomCom and Drama piece that earned
Christopher Plummer an Oscar and was very interesting to watch indeed
also. I felt it was solidly a good film and possibly even higher, but
that is for you to see but I will review It here and explain why I felt
it was a good Romance like film.

The story is as funny as it is moving and each character can be both
emotions just like that. The story is lovely and as I said witty with a
special feeling encompassing the entire piece and a very sad vein that
runs right through until the end of the movie, you will see what I mean
when you have finished watching the film. Finally I felt as a straight
Romance it is one of the best around and doesn't get soppy or cheesy
really at any point, it is just an indie film through and through.

Plummer who won the Oscar in all aspects in the best display of acting
here and was fully deserving, his funny act coupled with his revelation
that he is homosexual make for a funny man and one that shows just how
loving a dying man can be(no spoilers here, it is in the synopsis).
Ewan McGregor in the lead role isn't far behind and his loving fling
with Melanie Laurent is beautifully crafted together and one of the
sweetest duo's I have ever seen. There isn't a massive cast either and
so the big three stand out even more and you feel for them 100%.

I loved the script as it was humorous and also dramatic and the way the
writer(Mike Mills, who also directs it)does it all is just so dynamic
and as Ii said before, manages to craft together McGregor and Laurent
perfectly. I loved the soundtrack running with it too as it showed you
it wasn't just an indie film but also a sweet filled film with the
soundtrack conveying emotion even more than what is already being done.

When criticism come's well I guess it is kind of slow and the film can
be confusing as you will see when it show's parts of McGregor's past
and then his present but you can get confused which one he is in. Not
much else to say other than it is as I say slow but it doesn't hurt the
film much at all, if anything not at all.

Would recommend for those who like there RomCom's and especially if the
like Indie films with a less mainstream feel to it. I know for a fact
some will find it boring as they probably don't like Romance's which is
fair but even if you don't give it a go and see how you feel about it,
it may just surprise you and make you realise that Romance's and
RomCom's alike are not as bad you thought they were.

Overall I give it a high 7/10 and felt it was quite nearly moving even further
up but stayed at being solidly a good film. Go watch it and you may
just love it, what I did feel is that some people will see this and
either get really loved up and want McGregor's kind of love, and that
some would get sad at not having that love already, but in any case
just watch it and see what you think, couldn't recommend it enough.
January 17, 2015
Una cinta que trasmite una profunda melancolía de principio a fin, y que vela porque las acciones de sus personajes hablen más que cualquier otro diálogo; de ahí que cuente con entes tan repletos de contenido y tan... vivos.
January 11, 2015
We know the story, we might suspect the ending, but we love the originality of the scenes that is carrying the story to its end. Oh, and you will want to listen to the theme song over and over again.
½ January 7, 2015
It's a deliciously melancholic stew of love and loss.
½ December 28, 2014
There's a lot of style that threatens to dominate the picture and overshadow the interesting themes, but the heart on sleeve performances and touching drama overcome the slightly overbearing twee.
December 28, 2014
I just watched this movie based on the great reviews, but the one-dimensional, pointless female love interest just made me depressed. Melanie Laurent is too good for a role that was obviously written for a blow-up doll. In the scene where they meet and fall for each other, she has laryngitis and doesn't speak at all! The male lead doesn't even learn her name until he's already convinced she's the one. The dog in the movie had juicier lines; in fact, some of the girl's lines were just interpreting what the dog was thinking!! On top of that, every time she began an actual conversation with the main character, the dialogue would go mute and the soundtrack would take over. That is some bold fucking bullshit.
December 27, 2014
don't forget to be happy.
½ December 25, 2014
Lovely flow, tense beautiful relationship development.
December 4, 2014
"Beginners" is, first and foremost, a very sweet and melancholic love story. Pure and simple, old-fashioned storytelling that's been given a facelift, this is a complete charm to watch.

Oliver is an emotionally conflicted man. An artist commissioned to create album covers, Oliver is uninterested in relationships, and seemingly uninterested and dispirited in them. Adding to the grief is the death of his father, who'd came out as homosexual only a few years prior to his death. But then Oliver meets a charming actress named Anna, who completely changes his life and brings new hope and humour to his stagnating existence.

The film revolves around 3 major characters - Oliver, Hal and Anna - and all are played beautifully by Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer and Melanie Laurent respectively. The chemistry amongst McGregor and his two co-stars is very solid and the charisma of all three is charming enough.

It's very melancholic and never terribly funny, but it doesn't have to be. It's the Indie movement meeting French filmmaking sensibilities, and it's a brilliant mixing of angles to create a more than watchable movie.

8/10
½ November 24, 2014
In the sweeping emotion and natural storyline switches, I was hard pressed to find anything wrong with Beginners. The only thing I could think of was that, perhaps, it was too quirky for some of the subject matter. Just some.
November 21, 2014
A wonderful and touching film. One of Ewan's best!
November 20, 2014
An interesting picture, about emptiness in the lives of the characters. The film does an excellent job showing how a person's life could be full of people and experiences and still lack something, leaving those disconnected to friends, family, romances and self.
Another reviewer said it was dull. I think that's the point. There's only sparks of life between the isolation.
For all of it's tone, it's a hard movie to get excited about. It's also depicting people who feel fictional, to me anyway. But altogether it's a good movie, visually, acted, scored.
November 17, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Life is only beautiful if we are happy, and there are many contributing factors that lead to happiness, but none possess the large gratifying impact that love has. Love comes in all sorts of forms; it does not have to be limited by the standards of pre-existing or contemporary society. Ideas like sexual preference, monogamy, racial and cultural identity, should not matter; what does matter is that something wonderful is felt when in the presence of that certain person or group of people.

Beginners does not push its ideas down the audience's throat, it certainly is there and the film does spend quite a number of times deviating the central romance in order to explore it, but it does so in such a smooth and emotionally effective way. The film goes back and forth between before and after the death of Oliverâ??s father, Hal; and exploring the impact that it had on both father and son, when the former came out of the closet. Mike Mills does not comprehensively flesh out the issue of homosexuality, especially in a historical stand point, but it does provide a subjective recount on how it has evolved over the years, stating that times now are much different to what it was back then, and that love can now be expressed in more ways than ever before.

I first watched this film around two to three years ago, and what really stuck with me was the warm feeling that I had when I watched Oliver and Anna's relationship; a similar feeling was found during my experiences of seeing Her and Lost in Translation. Their relationship was romantically sweet that I could not help but feel envious of what these two characters have; and a lot of that is due to Miller's honest direction, not relying on manipulative sequences to conjure up empathy and emotions towards their characters. Credit also goes towards the performances brought in by the film's cast, with a stand out performance by Christopher Plummer and wonderful chemistry from both Melanie Laurent and Ewan McGregor.

The film's musical score was also wonderful, acting as a support in shaping the film's emotions, while also balanced enough that it scenes still come off as honest and sincere.

If you asked me back then on how I felt about the film, I would have told you it was perfect; but time has passed and I have seen so much on cinema, with graceful storytelling and impacting themes. Beginners certainly does not lack any substantial heart, but its ability to resonate it was lost during the final act of the film. I never felt that all of its ideas came together nicely at the end, leaving me at a still emotional state.

Beginners certainly does not leave a bad taste in your mouth, but it also loses its flavour by the end of the film; kind of like chewing gum, it starts off great but within half an hour, what is being chewed has become essentially nothing.
November 13, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Beginners does not push its ideas down the audience's throat, it certainly is there and the film does spend quite a number of times deviating the central romance in order to explore it, but it does so in such a smooth and emotionally effective way. The film goes back and forth between before and after the death of Oliver's father, Hal; and exploring the impact that it had on both father and son, when the former came out of the closet. Mike Mills does not comprehensively flesh out the issue of homosexuality, especially in a historical stand point, but it does provide a subjective recount on how it has evolved over the years, stating that times now are much different to what it was back then, and that love can now be expressed in more ways than ever before.