Beginners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beginners Reviews

October 24, 2015
Sooo much heart. Christopher Plummer is exceptional.
½ October 15, 2015
As Oliver Field's father, Hal, is discovering he has a cancerous tumor in his lung, there is one more thing he would like to get off his chest- he's gay. Over the next four years, Hal transforms into a fun-loving, eccentric, friendly man quite different from his routine, austere former self. Oliver sees these changes in his father, who is now terminally ill but trying to make light of it, and unknowingly changes himself.

"What is REAL?" 'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
These words stand at the core of the film. They were used by Oliver's father in an art opening he curated composed of stuffed animals collected in his community. At the time, unknown to Oliver, this art opening was most likely a tribute to the then recently deceased Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office. These words resonate in the lives of both Hal and Oliver, with Hal becoming real bit by bit, with Hal's stoic nature preventing him from indulging in exploration of his true self until he is widowed and near death. While Oliver becomes real all at once, leaping from his father's death in an exploration of love, happiness, and himself. Oliver's transformation from his former self takes the form of a young boy bearing witness to his parents' empty marriage to having the courage to explore the happiness in love on his own terms.

With excellent performances from Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer, Beginners manages to be both a comedy and a deeply moving portrait of a father and son. The bond between Oliver and his dog, Arthur captures and mimics the bond between Oliver and his mother as a young child. Mike Mills' autobiographical film uses tenderness and humor to sketch out the enduring bonds between the main characters.
½ September 27, 2015
This movie really touched my heart, love is not easy for everyone, it can be very scary for some, so I really related to this movie <3
July 17, 2015
Loved the movie. Good exploration of relationships. They do tend to explore a few too many but still works well together. Especially the Dad and Son interaction is special. Very good performances and direction.
½ June 23, 2015
I wish I could give this 0 stars. Another user said they turned it off after half an hour, oh how I wish I had. I kept waiting for it to turn around, it never did. Plummer got an Oscar for this?
It was painfully slow, and I found it extremely depressing on every level. Definitely one of, if not the worst film I've ever suffered through. I might prefer to have my wisdom teeth out again.
June 4, 2015
depressing and bored
May 15, 2015
A touching film about love in all its shapes, life and death with great performances from its leads and an interesting narrative. Worth watching if you're in the right mood for it.
½ May 10, 2015
Impossible not to fall for this movie. I'd give it a higher rating if Mills hadn't made Hal's cancer ordeal so "easy" looking. But realism is not always the most important part of a story -- especially when a character is looking back.
½ May 1, 2015
A non-linear slow paced drama that wins you over with subtle and genuine performances. And an adorable dog to boot.
April 18, 2015
God bless Christopher Plummer, what an inspiring performance.
March 26, 2015
I'm shocked this brilliant film hasn't gotten more attention. It explores life, the past, who we are today; and how it figures into our future. It is at times beautifully poetic, sometimes melancholy and others joyous. Everything about it is superb: the writing, direction and acting; all blissfully married together in one heartfelt journey. The dialogue is real, honest and sometimes brutal. I can't imagine anyone viewing this without being completely consumed and deeply moved.

Beginners is a film best viewed alone. It will stay with you, perhaps haunt you and most definitely cause you to reflect on your own unique and unpredictable life.
March 3, 2015
Beginners is a sweet, lovable story. Although the slow-pace and having the film jump around from time to time may not be for some, the film succeeds with a beautiful, top notch performance by Christopher Plummer.
½ February 22, 2015
Loved it. Kinda sad, but the story was well told. I keep falling for Mr. McGregor a little more every time I see him, and this did just that.
½ February 22, 2015
Great music, very slow paced while still very much on time to the events. Still easy to follow through bouncing back and forth time periods. Sensitive believable acting as characters moved forward in their development.
February 20, 2015
Mélanie Laurent was right in the movie , the expressions of the people you speak of many things, perfectly testable in Beginners .
Words fail me to express everything that has made me feel such situations to swim unknown in our society , as the characters face the events that befall them and their relations , as it can apparently be easy will inevitably complicate pro not cause major disasters both in life and in others by the inexperience of being beginners, because the complexity of life allows us to make mistakes both young and old . But despite being rookies, if we say yes to life and followed our instincts , we can make the sad and complex becomes cheerful and simple.
½ February 6, 2015
Written and directed by Mike Mills (Paperboys (2001) and Thumbsucker (2005)), this romantic comedy drama was inspired by events from Mills' own life, when his own father came out as homosexual at the age of 75. It's an original idea for a film, and it does touch upon a plight most men faced in the old days, but kept it secret. As well as how family members might react when the bombshell is dropped. Told in a series of flashback, illustrator Oliver Fields (Ewan McGregor) remembers his recently departed father Hal (Christopher Plummer), who succumbed to cancer. After Hal's wife and Oliver's mother died, Hal comes out as gay, which is a big shock to his son, but Oliver comes to accept it. He never had much of a relationship with his father, rather spending more time with his free-spirited mother Georgia (Mary Page Keller). Shortly after his father's passing, Oliver meets French actress Anna (Mélanie Laurent), and pursues romance with Anna, using his father's postive open philosophy in life to keep the romance fresh. On the surface, something like this could have come across as mawkish and sentimental. But it has a quirky charm and a gentle sense of humour, and it manages to be bubbly and optomistic, even if death is a theme hanging over the film. But, it manages to be compelling and it's got something to say about modern relationships.
½ February 1, 2015
In Woody Allen's hands probably would've worked but although not without charm and wit, too much sentimental sloppy drivel.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:High 7/10

Beginners is a witty and sweet RomCom and Drama piece that earned
Christopher Plummer an Oscar and was very interesting to watch indeed
also. I felt it was solidly a good film and possibly even higher, but
that is for you to see but I will review It here and explain why I felt
it was a good Romance like film.

The story is as funny as it is moving and each character can be both
emotions just like that. The story is lovely and as I said witty with a
special feeling encompassing the entire piece and a very sad vein that
runs right through until the end of the movie, you will see what I mean
when you have finished watching the film. Finally I felt as a straight
Romance it is one of the best around and doesn't get soppy or cheesy
really at any point, it is just an indie film through and through.

Plummer who won the Oscar in all aspects in the best display of acting
here and was fully deserving, his funny act coupled with his revelation
that he is homosexual make for a funny man and one that shows just how
loving a dying man can be(no spoilers here, it is in the synopsis).
Ewan McGregor in the lead role isn't far behind and his loving fling
with Melanie Laurent is beautifully crafted together and one of the
sweetest duo's I have ever seen. There isn't a massive cast either and
so the big three stand out even more and you feel for them 100%.

I loved the script as it was humorous and also dramatic and the way the
writer(Mike Mills, who also directs it)does it all is just so dynamic
and as Ii said before, manages to craft together McGregor and Laurent
perfectly. I loved the soundtrack running with it too as it showed you
it wasn't just an indie film but also a sweet filled film with the
soundtrack conveying emotion even more than what is already being done.

When criticism come's well I guess it is kind of slow and the film can
be confusing as you will see when it show's parts of McGregor's past
and then his present but you can get confused which one he is in. Not
much else to say other than it is as I say slow but it doesn't hurt the
film much at all, if anything not at all.

Would recommend for those who like there RomCom's and especially if the
like Indie films with a less mainstream feel to it. I know for a fact
some will find it boring as they probably don't like Romance's which is
fair but even if you don't give it a go and see how you feel about it,
it may just surprise you and make you realise that Romance's and
RomCom's alike are not as bad you thought they were.

Overall I give it a high 7/10 and felt it was quite nearly moving even further
up but stayed at being solidly a good film. Go watch it and you may
just love it, what I did feel is that some people will see this and
either get really loved up and want McGregor's kind of love, and that
some would get sad at not having that love already, but in any case
just watch it and see what you think, couldn't recommend it enough.