Begotten - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Begotten Reviews

March 11, 2017
Strange film about gods, mother earth, son of earth, disembowelment with weird visualizes.
January 11, 2017
Stylistically innovative but self-indulgent
½ August 29, 2016
A difficult undertaking, nightmarish visuals mixed with an unsettling soundtrack. Without dialogue and barely any story it all becomes a bit tedious. More suitable as an art installation than a piece of cinema.
½ August 10, 2016
Impossible to shake off, "Begotten" is no average art-film with its images that are as compelling as they are disturbing. While its meaning may be graspable by some, viewers who aren't already familiar with "Begotten" may not quite understand it.
April 22, 2016
Begotten is among the most otherworldly of filmmaking I've seen. It is visionary in its imagination and novelty, even as the grotesque gory sequences turned my stomach.
½ April 18, 2016
muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy perturbadora que miedo le doy una estrella y media pero aunque sea aterradora y perturbadora es buena para gritar y no dormir bien en la noche
½ January 21, 2016
I don't even know what this film is. It's like the bit in 'Ringu/Ring' when they watch the tape but it lasts for an hour and twelve minutes. It's not disturbing at all... It's just boring
½ October 14, 2015
one of those movies that was recommended to me when I was in college, and I now remember it as I should - a half-baked fever dream.
½ August 6, 2015
A silent film with terrible visuals. That should immediately tell you all you need to know. And I don't mean the visuals are too "offensive" or "shocking." I mean, you can't see what is going on throughout most of the film. It is too grainy, too monochromatic, and too dark in some places. Silent films rely SOLELY on visuals in order to tell the story. And this movie, in particular, is EVEN MORE reliant on visuals because it is meant to shock the audience with violent, gut-wrenching gore and disturbing actions. When you can't see what is going on, the movie loses its ability to hold your attention because your ONLY means of connecting with the film is weak at best.
And that's not even to mention the length. The film is FAR too long, spending untold amounts of time focused on inconsequential things like water dripping or shadows moving. Plus, the assaults on the two main characters are dragged out for an obscene amount of time, which wouldn't be a problem if we could SEE what is going on. But, as I said, the film is too grainy and too monochromatic. There is little to no gray to separate things based on shade, so many objects blend together so that you can't see what is what.
Overall, the film felt like something a college student would throw together in an attempt to make something "profound." But there is nothing profound about a film that is too grainy to even see.
½ July 25, 2015
This movie begins, like so many others that want to be taken seriously, with a morbid quote about life. What follows is a tedious, hollow exercise in meaningless self-indulgence. Evidently the director wants to say something profound about life and death, but all that's really said about the latter is that it's miserable and unpleasant, which isn't exactly a revelation. As for the former, that appears to be just as grim. I'll admit that being dialogue-free with the visuals telling the entire story could make for an interesting film. That is if the visuals themselves were impressive enough to depict the events. But here they're so ugly and poorly constructed that at times it's impossible to see anything at all, literal or metaphorical. The edges are unclear and the pictures so blurry and indistinct that whatever is on screen is usually indecipherable. Most of the movie is concerned with what looks like a naked smallpox victim convulsing on the ground while being dragged around by some kind of tribe or cult who have a disturbing genital fixation. The rest of it is the cult members poking said victim lightly with sticks. It may only last 72 minutes, but it's still one of the most boring, unnecessarily drawn-out films I've ever sat through. It's a slow, pointless, badly directed, glacially paced experiment in sheer nothingness.
½ July 12, 2015
Occasionally fantastic visuals, and a very eerie eraserheasesque soundtrack do not make up for how amateurish this movie is. Unbelievable bad editing throughout (I swear any time a character was introduced into a scene or left a scene it took 20 minutes), as well as some really bad zooming shots just completely bored and annoyed me. The wikipedia explanation of the plot and the first 10 minutes of the movie are better than watching the whole thing. It's only and hour and 18 minutes but I got bored and stopped watching 3 times before I could finish it...
May 20, 2015
It is creepy. Coming from me, you would know to take it seriously.
April 20, 2015
I film that is shocking and hard to rate. This film was disturbing in my opinion. The first scene with God killing himself was hard to watch. Many scenes this film were hard to watch such as rape and dismemberment. Good film but hard to watch in my opinion.
½ April 5, 2015
It really is art, disturbing art, at the same time beautiful.
What makes this not four or four and a half stars is that most of the time I couldn't see what I was watching.
But I still was very intrigued in how they spent so much time (Eight Months) into such a short film.
They tried so hard to create perfection. I think they were close.
½ March 14, 2015
A sometimes brilliant, sometimes tedious dive into a nightmare landscape - where logic and linear movement are rendered useless and prozaic.
October 14, 2014
much better if it's a short film within 20 min or so.
September 23, 2014
Warning:Mutilation
July 30, 2014
Shocking? I've seen much worse. Experimental? Definitely. Entertaining? Absolutely not.
½ July 25, 2014
one of the most disturbing and uncomfortable opening scenes i've ever seen. if you can get past the first scene then it gets slightly easier to watch. very unique imagery.
June 30, 2014
(Sorry for my bad english) IŽd like to see this piece of work in a museum, next to other paintings, surreal videos or sculptures. Because the disapprobation of this film begins when you see at this for more that twenty minutes straight. The vision of Merhige is as hard to follow as the movie itself, but its so awkwardly tight you need to be careful not to get over with this so easily.