Behind the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Behind the Sun Reviews

May 2, 2010
1. Abril Despedacado: Or the rather cringe inducing english-language title of 'Behind The Sun' begins my new love affair with Brazilian cinema. With my independent trip to Rio looming I have decided to devote myself for the coming months to the countries cinema. One which has suffered timeless manipulations and change throughout its history. Starting with arguably Brazil's most contemporary well known director 'Walter Salles', I start with this, his 3rd feature film (4th if counting the bizaare documentary of 95's Socorro Nobre), but this engaging if plot light exploit into the usual Brazilian humdrum poor social class melodrama has a lot more to offer than the usual stereotype-drenched Brazilian cinema of late (City of God and Salles' own recent rags to ritches Linha de Passe). While there remain some thematic elements within this rather shallow story that do not quite fit within the narrative (the rather contrived and forcefully added in love story), it is the intriguing and touching relationship between the two brothers which allows 'Abril' to become something much more meaningful to Brazilian cinema. The imagery and cinematography such as that of 'the swinging' and the deeply symbolic meanings of life and death in feuding poor families do add a little bit more to the fray, and with such a gorgeous score to accompany the slightly predictable yet moving ending 'Abril' can stand proud amongst Brazil's recent long term relationship with poetic spectacle, while its plot remains as expected as ever.

Verdict: 79/100 - If you can stomach this popular foder (excuse my portugese) as true Brazilian cinema, or are a mere mainstream spectator interested in foreign film there are a lot worse places to start than here, though the title may be the deal breaker...
½ April 14, 2010
Another brilliant film by Walter Salles. Behind the Sun tells the story of a family caught up in a generations old feud with a rival family over farm land. Of which each family will take turns to kill the member of the rival family in the name of honour. Behind the Sun captures the struggles of two brothers whom in their small ways, find escape from their unavoidable misfortune.
½ April 12, 2010
This movie is so REAL. And I'll never waste sugar again.
April 5, 2010
Behind the Sun, Abril Despedacado, a Brazilian movie who told the simple story about two families locked in a blood vendetta over sugar cane land in the late 19th century somewhere in a northern part of Brazil. Beautifully shot against dry Brazilian landscapes and narrated through the eyes of a little boy and off course the tremendous cast of talented actors, especially, Rodrigo Santoro. However, it was the little boy who really stole the show and carried the movie through. He was fantastic, and showed real brotherly love, and the relationships between the families.This movie was often painful but delightful for those who admire depth, romanticism and beauty of expression. A must to see.
mvieaddict
April 5, 2010
February 28, 2010
"Blood has the same volume for everyone. You have no right to take more blood than was taken from you."
Two families fight for generation over land, killing each other son's from time to time. One day sequence of events is disturbed, and everything changes, but the price to pay is high...
Golden Globe nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.
February 9, 2010
***1/2 (out of four)

A stunning and beautiful film from Brazil that is somewhat like a Brazilian Hadfield and McCoys.

The year is 1910 and the small town in Brazil is the setting as two families have battled each other for years. The blood drenched shirt hangs outside of one home after the murder of a son. Revenge is on as that family plots against the other.

Great performances. Rodrigo Santoro became a star with this film.
½ January 15, 2010
This movie is beautiful to watch, but it's also heartbreaking. Everyone has written about the obvious theme of family blood feuds and senseless violence, but there are is another theme that I haven't seen anyone else mention. Without too much of a spoiler, someone makes the ultimate sacrifice for love, and that theme redeems the film more than anything.

Additional themes are child poverty and neglect, and educational neglect.
½ November 8, 2009
Quite a proper, decent execution/adaption for a platitudinous story.
½ August 28, 2009
Maravillosa!. Gracias a la impecable direccion de Walter Salles, Abril Despedaçado es una muestra exquisita de la tragedia griega en su maxima expresion hecha filme; adaptacion de la novela del mismo nombre del escritor albanes Ismail Kadare, novela cuyo contexto le da un lenguaje universal permitiendo asi esta excelente adaptacion de Salles.
El filme narra la confrontacion que viene desde años atras entre un par de familias (Breves vs Ferreira) del campo brasilero que luchan por la posesion de la tierra. Muertes entre uno y otro miembro de ambas familias van aumentando el odio y disminuyendo a las familias. Y en el centro de la historia, un niño, Pacu, quien termina sacrificandose en un acto de valentia poetica. Fotografia espectacular, planos arriesgados que le dan una riqueza visual al filme, excelentes actuaciones, locaciones maravillosas, en fin, esta pelicula es una pieza interesante para tener en cuenta dentro de la cinematografia mundial. Joya.
July 3, 2009
Original Portugese title "Abril Despedaçado," which translates as "Broken April"
½ March 30, 2009
The more I watch Brazilian movies, the more I like them. I like the cinematography, always full of vivid colors and gorgeous landscapes. I like the stories of every day human struggle against an overwhelming and overpowering nature. I like the performances and the shine of hope that life can be a little bit better.
March 30, 2009
½ March 22, 2009
Must say Albanian vendetta came very natural in Brazilian soil. Great story (Ismail Kadare), great directing (Walter Salles). So, what does it take a mermaid to loose tail?..
February 9, 2009
every thing about this movie is phenomenal...the visual...the acting...the characters...the story...it has it all...remarkable film making......PACU..is the best!!!!!....I have become a huge fan of Walter Salles after this.....
January 13, 2009
In one of the poorest regions of the Brazilian northeast, amid drought and hunger, loyalty and honour are the only law. The tragic destiny of two families.
December 22, 2008
A movie that touched my heart.I loved the way the little boy was portrayed...indeed, a depiction of the whole world...an eye of an eye until the world become blind
shesdownbytheriver
December 22, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested.
December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
November 19, 2008
Esse filme relata uma estória de fundamentalismo e de destino, e como nós podemos mudar nossas vidas se queremos realmente. Gostei de mais das ceas muito eloquentes... Tem uma sensibilidade extrema.
Alem disso, o filme retrata a vida do nordeste de uma maneira muito fiel, não podia se esperar menos do Waltinho... Nota 10!