Beijing Bicycle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beijing Bicycle Reviews

May 2, 2009
good movie, but the poor/country boy should have had more balls than the rich/city boy. is it really backwards like that in china? that's what i got from it.
½ May 1, 2009
Wow! How many bicycles! (-:

The story evolves around the two adolescent boys and the bicycle having Beijing for an interesting canvas.

My heart hurted for the poor messenger who had almost no fault at all. My heart also hurted about the school boy who stole the bike because he needed to be socially acceptable. This is a really tragic film. Second film title could be `adolescent struggles & violence`.
½ April 22, 2009
????????车 ??????样????????纵? the bicycle at the age of 17. what kind of restriveness and Indulgence are they? ???????质
½ April 20, 2009
Loved the idea of using a bicycle as the central point of presenting the struggles of modern Beijing society. The screenplay is outstanding as is the cinematography and acting. For both main characters, having a bicycle serves only as a means to an end - for one it's having a job while for the other a love interest. The premise seems to be that sometimes going after something at all costs, does not pay off in the end. Everyone loses and life is not fair.
April 18, 2009
An introspective film that embodies the soul of modern China, commenting on the changes the country is experiencing and the growing rural-urban divide. Beijing Bicycle is masterful in countless ways; the movie has deft long takes/ camera work, but success more on a simplistic plot with complex themes.

We follow the exploits of country boy Guel, who naively and innocently explores the China he no longer recognizes. There is also Jian, a city kid whose penis envy and obsession with having a bicycle shows the higher social status connected with the ownership of a bike, emphasizing not only the practically of this mode of transportation in modern Beijing, but the continuing urbanization of the Asia giant. Loss of innocence is apparent in the portrayal of juvenile delinquency, but there are still signs of hope, as the most unlikely of circumstances creates a bond of understanding between the most unlikely of friends.
April 12, 2009
it may be the best work of the director
April 8, 2009
Gao Yuanyuan alone in this movie worths ticket money.
February 11, 2009
Berlin Film Festival 01' Silver Bear
January 26, 2009
really liked the movie, but I would have liked someone to have a happy ending
½ January 23, 2009
A good movie but bleak and depressing.
½ January 12, 2009
depressing, but shows you the value of a simple bike to the urban poor in the developing world
December 26, 2008
One of the best Chinese movies. Very sweet and adorable at one hand, but very sad at the other. Must see to understand Beijing.
December 18, 2008
really wana see this
October 13, 2008
A little sad but interesting watch. On the one hand it felt a bit difficult to relate to the protagonist's position, but on the other it's dealing with feelings and emotions familiar to everyone. I plan to watch it again at some point.
October 9, 2008
I just couldn't enjoy it. I felt too bad for Guei.
½ September 19, 2008
A poor young boy comes to Beijing,lands up with a job of a courier boy, works hard enough to earn the bike which has been promised to him if he pays back the amount invested in it.
If you are a sucker for tragedy,then you might just like this Chinese flick.
September 11, 2008
The ideal inheritor of De Sica's Bicycle Thief,erupts as a serious contender against composing deals,circumstantial notions and a willing contradiction of ideas.Xiaoshuai is a very underrated Chinese modern trespasser of independent film-making and he sure knows to catch our breath with the flamboyance of his people and characteristics of their self.The finale is amidst the top of 00's.
½ August 29, 2008
Someone with a bit of film experience will know that the guy that desperately needs his bike in scene one will have his bike stolen in scene two. The guy here is three times more unlucky though. Survival in Bejing is impossible without being mean, that seems to be the message. Very enjoyable. Not as stunning as Xich lo (Tran Anh Hung) though.yclo though
½ July 10, 2008
this is a really good movie!
½ June 29, 2008
Quite good. Maybe it's just Japanese cinema I hate.