Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey Reviews

March 25, 2014
i really liked this :) it was crazy interesting because who thinks about the puppeteers behind the muppets?? i never did. and his story is kind of touching -- being the big blob of goop i am on the inside i did let one tear slide when they noted the Make A Wish foundation or whatever that was... super touching. and even though i wasn't a die hard Sesame Street watcher as a kid, i did watch it a little bit and most of the characters he played i remember watching -- so that was a nice trip down memory lane. also, the fact that his first job was a puppeteer for Labyrinth and how they touched on that film made me smile -- love that movie. i recommend it!
Harlequin68
½ March 23, 2014
Even as possibly sanitized as "Being Elmo" is, it is still a worthwhile documentary portrait of Kevin Clash, who is best known as the man and voice behind Elmo, who depending on your age and the amount of kids you have, is either the most endearing or the most annoying muppet ever. But such success as you can guess did not come easily. Kevin's life started modestly enough in a poor neighborhood in Baltimore, raised by caring parents. His interest in puppets was inspired by shows like Sesame Street. Even before he graduates from high school, he starts doing local shows which leads to local television which leads to Captain Kangaroo and then being introduced to Jim Henson. So, you can see how one generation encourages and inspires the next which is what Kevin is doing currently. And throughout we get to see the complex process of animating a puppet which they make look so easy.
½ February 17, 2014
This movie isn't exactly hard-hitting, daring nor does it reveal much. It does however peek into the interesting world of Muppets and the psychology behind making them seem so alive and full of personality. It's alright, however I can't shake the feeling that this movie would have been better suited to be broadcast on PBS or some other network on TV rather than be screened as a feature length documentary in theaters.
½ February 13, 2014
This is a tale of touching and inspiring childlike innocence. It would be atrocious for America to ever lose these muppets.
TheDudeLebowski65
January 27, 2014
Great documentary about talented puppeteer Kevin Clash who performed the role of Elmo on Sesame Street. This is a great film that goes in depth into his career, even if it's a bit short, but it manages to give you a look at Clash's incredible rise into becoming the voice of the famed character. In terms of being a documentary, Being Elmo is a fine film that goes deep into its subject, and makes for terrific viewing. Featuring great interviews with Kevin Clash, his family and the people he works with. The film is short, but more than makes up for its length with a plateau of behind the scenes footage, great interviews and a terrific subject. This is a must watch documentary and one that is quite entertaining for what it tries to do. Going behind the scenes and chronicling the career of Elmo's puppeteer is terrific, and here we get a look at his talent, his career and above all his influence and legacy. This is what documentary films should be, and while going in depth into its subject, you are captivated at how one character has touched so many people. Entertaining and fun, Being Elmo is a well crafted documentary that is one of the finer recent documentaries in recent memory. The film may be short, but like I said, it more than makes up for it with great interviews and workings of how Elmo came t6o be, and how Kevin Clash became one of the best puppeteers in the business. Worth seeing if you grew up watching Sesame Street as a kid or if you're curious about the character itself and how Elmo became what he is today.
½ January 6, 2014
Being Elmo is a surprisingly emotional story of a young man's rise from the bottom all the way to the top as he takes the immense love and kindness in his heart and puts it all into one of the world's most beloved characters.
½ January 1, 2014
This is a wonderfully moving story.
December 22, 2013
It made me like Elmo more, I've always found Elmo annoying. I love seeing how Sesame Street is made as I grew up with the show and had the honor to experience Jim Henson when he was alive.
December 16, 2013
wish this was easier to get.
December 13, 2013
It's interesting, but I didn't see why it got all the hyperbolic praise it did. It's far from the first public glimpse inside Henson's workshop, and though it gives a complete account of the origin and impact of Elmo - and the dedication of a prodigious second-generation puppeteer - it didn't move me at all.
½ December 9, 2013
A wonderfully charming portrait of an immensely talented performer and his journey to puppeteering an icon. You're bound to feel warm and fuzzy after this one.
December 5, 2013
Passa longe de ser um filme motivacional.
Trata de inocência, carinho, esperança, de levar o que se tem de melhor ao próximo e de como isso é importante pra ambos.
Vai muito além de acreditar num sonho, mas de sê-lo.
½ November 12, 2013
"Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey" is one of the best documentaries on Earth. It doesn't matter how old you are, you're any age to love Elmo.
½ November 2, 2013
A great inspiring film.
October 3, 2013
you never realize how difficult it is to be a puppeteer. great doc about Elmo guy Kevin. really tear jerking moment when he meets make a wish kid. worth a watch.
½ September 27, 2013
I deliberated for ages whether I thought this would be worth watching, I was nicely surprised that this documentary had several layers to it, it brought a lot of childhood memories back to me. It is a wonderful insight into puppetry as well as the world created by Jim Henson through the Muppets and Sesame Street. Loved it!
½ September 26, 2013
I personally hate Elmo, mainly cause he has been dominating Sesame Street for the last decade or so, making many of the beloved characters of my childhood take a back seat the incredibly repetitive "Elmo's World", but as movie looking about the man behind the puppet and with all the great behind the scenes footage of Jim Henson, overall this is worth seeing if you are a muppets fan or just happen to love Elmo, although it seem to skim over large areas of Clash's life so it seems kinda disjointed..
½ September 15, 2013
Such an inspiration to find someone who pursues his passion with everything.
½ September 12, 2013
Fascinating and touching.
September 4, 2013
A pretty interesting doc about this history of a worldwide icon, and it shed a lot of light about what was going on underneath the puppet stand.