Being Flynn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being Flynn Reviews

October 26, 2016
Being Flynn is a disappointing film. It is about Nick Flynn who re-encounters his father at Boston homeless shelter. Robert de Niro an Julianne Moore give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Paul Weitz did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
September 5, 2016
I love Deniro but the end of this movie was just pointless. How Ironic a multi-millionaire actor married to a black woman would play a homeless racist. LOL.
July 14, 2016
Well-acted, but the script struggles to hold the attentions of the actors, much less the audience.
May 7, 2016
De Niro at his best! the type you see in Raging Bull or Awakenings. A dark story told bright.
May 1, 2016
The film introduces two completely different narrators, one reliable and one unreliable. Flynn Junior's narration actually corresponds with his environment and state of mind, while Flynn Senior's utterly opposes it. In Flynn Senior, the voice over is at odds with the filmic images, while in Flynn Junior the voice over is in sync with the filmic images. In a novel, competing narrators shed light on perspective. The film however sheds light on film's relationship to literature and adaptation: on the one hand they align perfectly, on the other hand they are incompatible. The Blower Scene is both literary and fundamentally cinematic. Flynn Senior settles onto the blowers, while Flynn Junior's voice over narrators the experience. Meanwhile, the camera cranes upward, turning slowly until it reaches a medium bird's eye view, and in the act, rendering Flynn Senior powerless and alone. Flynn Senior's despair is one, but the camera and narration render it using two different mediums, or the allusion to one. While the film emphasizes the differences and similarities between film and literature, it also remains ambivalent about their relationship.
February 27, 2016
While this movie is primarily about a father-son relationship, I found its appeal in its portrayal of what happens when your charity (towards the homeless) has to extend to immediate family, and how this can change your perspective.
January 2, 2016
Excellent human drama -- the subject matter is a little raw as it deals with addiction and homelessness -- but that shouldn't scare you away. Give it a chance. The story is absolutely worth experiencing.
October 29, 2015
Great book, shitty adapted screenplay and direction. Paul Weitz, I could've done better than you.
August 25, 2015
Paul Dano is fucking spectacular.
June 7, 2015
Drama Is My Favorite Film Genre, 1941's Citizen Kane Is My Favorite Drama Film.
½ May 8, 2015
ok. can be depressing
April 29, 2015
sjajna gluma... film ok.
½ April 19, 2015
DENiro's still got it when given half a chance while the story is a little more tame than I care for but more than watchable.
February 13, 2015
Really worthwhile watching, but not for the queasy or easily depressed. Gritty, engrossing drama with bravado performances that take you into a world too real. This movie is like reading a good book, and in it's own quiet way is rather charming, if difficult to watch because of its theme of suicide, drugs, and dysfunctional lives.
January 22, 2015
its a love story and what else is there but love stories? fuck the casting i dont give a shit about casting. don't cast a list star if you want to make a serious movie anyway. so you need to look past the casting. maybe my rating should only be 4 or 4.5 stars but fuck it i liked it its worth seeing in a sea of shit that isn't so i will give it a 5 obviously i'm not as sophisticated as a number of reviewers you will find above below or wherever i thought it was a really good movie. perhaps people claiming it has not depth are sensing the lack of depth in themselves. as the son of a manic depressive suicide as manic depressive as a failed artist still clinging to hope. i thought it was a good movie.
½ January 1, 2015
Another one that I wanted to like more than I did.
January 1, 2015
this ain't a bad movie not a great movie it's worth a watch nice to see Robert deniro can still do some good acting ! because his made a lot of garbage this decade and beyond! !
½ October 12, 2014
It was really on the verge of becoming a very powerful movie. I just felt that the story jumped a bit more than it should have, and some pieces of the story didn't really mesh well. The message at times was lost on me.
October 7, 2014
Mopes along and feels morose, meandering and pointless, which may be the sad winding point.