Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

May 14, 2016
Bizarre, strange, absurd, smart as well as being both funny and dramatic. The best part has got to be Charlie Kaufman's unique, well-written script.
½ May 1, 2016
It's no wonder that a film as surreal and mind-bending as Being John Malkovich comes from the mind of Charlie Kaufman. The film takes a lot of interesting turns and paths, which constantly keeps the film engaging and utterly fascinating. Best of all, Kaufman never sacrifices character development for big reveals or twists: in fact, this is a mind-bender that really works because it's so character driven. All of the performances here, including those of John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, and Catherine Keener, are solid, but the standout is, well, John Malkovich. The role seems clever enough at first, but ultimately gets deeper and more complex in rather unexpected ways as the film progresses. For a debut feature from both Kaufman and director Spike Jonze, Being John Malkovich is stunningly well done. Anyone looking for a mind-bender will be impressed, and anyone looking for a fascinating look at the ideas of consciousness and reality will be even more impressed.
April 23, 2016
Being John Malkovich is such a bad movie. It has solid acting and some interesting scenes in the beginning, but the story is original in a bad way as it is so annoying and pointless, the characters are all either annoying or distinctly unlikable and the film is just weird for the sake of being weird. It is a boring, ridiculous and very frustrating movie that annoyed me so much.
April 5, 2016
Probably Cusack's best movie, along with Malkovich's best. This film echoes several themes.
March 16, 2016
this movie pissed me off but i gave it and extra star because it does leave a mark on you and is very memorable.
there were times when i wanted to hit craig, lotte and maxine.
they are awful people.
all of them.
the story-telling was spectacular.
and the ideas too.
all these three deserve to rot in hell!
February 18, 2016
remek delo! remek delo!
½ January 29, 2016
You have to appreciate that a screenplay so truly bizarre and original got made. The fact that it turned out as great as it did is even more incredible (there are a lot of directors who would have ruined the final execution so let's be grateful for Spike Jonze).
½ January 22, 2016
Let's reboot this one shall we? Being John Cena? Johnny Depp? Jon Snow? Johnny Football?
January 8, 2016
A utterly smart and creative fictional comedy. In the midst of a building were a half floor is rooming lots of absurd companies and a mystic portal. Watching the inside of John Malkovichs eyevision is pretty unique and intriguing, along side a great cast such as Cusake, Diaz and Keener this movie has good legs to carry this absurdness.
½ January 7, 2016
Classic absurdist comedy with one of Charlie Kaufman's best scripts.
½ December 22, 2015
Strangest movie I have seen in a long time
½ December 13, 2015
Whatever Being John Malkovich is, it is created with an incredible amount of imagination, wit and depth. Some parts of it are hard to grasp and it is very entertaining, but also frightening to see so many willing to lose their identity to someone else.
December 4, 2015
The ridiculousness of John Malkovich becoming a puppeteer and the self-deprecating humour involved in this was gold. The rest was weird, and kind of terrifying. I approve of John Cusack's long hair.
November 25, 2015
Being John Malkovich has to be one of the most original ideas in cinema history. Charlie Kaufman's script is humorous and witty, with a sense of satire that is as self-aware as it is smart. With stataements being made on the nature of celebrities and egos within the industry, Spike Jonze's introspective masterpiece is even more relevant in the modern day than the time it was released.
½ November 14, 2015
I had not seen something this inventive in a long time. Jonze handles the story marvelously, providing a great balance between the comedic, the sad and the bizarre. It may not be able to maintain its splendor through the entire run time, but it is a very entertaining and unique story!
November 13, 2015
It started off quite small-scale and poky, but blossomed into something ethereal and fantastic; I watched the last 40 minutes constantly smiling.
November 7, 2015
Spike Jonze's strikingly original, quirky and funny direction blended with Charlie Kaufman's intriguing and Imaginatively Great Script make up for this amazing tale of identity, personality and dispair.
October 31, 2015
I've softened up to this movie a little bit, giving it probably a 4/10, just one below average (which is pretty good for first film standards! It's about the same grade I give many of my favorite filmmakers' first film) but I realize that my problem with this movie isn't that it's not saying anything, it's that it is saying something so blatantly obvious that it beats you over the head with it (that being the desire to be someone else or belief that being someone else would make your life better). 15 minutes in, I get it. I understood it. And after that, I desperately wanted the movie to shut up, but instead it keeps going on and on, doing random artsy things for the sake of doing random artsy things and it just did not feel like a well-structured story nor did most of the movie justify itself. It would work much better as a short. With that said, some of the imagery is nice and the performances were all solid. It just felt very messy at times, but I don't consider it one of the worst movies I've ever seen, just one that people seems to love more than I.
½ October 12, 2015
Messed up and heavy. So strange and bizarre, but also funny and clever. Metaphors! Was a bit like a Woody Allen movie mixed with Eternal Sunshine. Something about identity and control? Not everyone will like it, but if you have good taste in movies, give this a watch...and rewatch.
½ September 25, 2015
"It's my head, Schwartz! It's my HEAD! I will see you in court!", enough said.