Being Julia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being Julia Reviews

August 6, 2013
Decent effort. I didn't fall asleep.
½ July 18, 2013
Love Annette Bening- shes an incredible actress
June 27, 2013
Histrionic Personality Disorder
June 27, 2013
Annette Benning shines as Julia. It's difficult enough to portray an actress, but then to portray her when she's doing well and also doing poorly.
June 10, 2013
A bit boring at the beginning, but very powerful towards the ending.
Annette Bening: SUPREME
½ June 4, 2013
Annete Bening's infectious performance was what kept the film really worth the watch. Not to say the story wasn't great nor interesting but Bening as Julia basically lifted the movie up higher if it hadn't hit the target mark.
March 30, 2013
At first this film did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would, but I ended up really liking it and very much appreciated the shining performance that Annette Bening gave as Julia. Michael Gambon was a joy to watch as well. The ending was delightful.
March 28, 2013
Julia Lambert: I've decided to retire and let myself go. I'll have potatoes for lunch and potatoes for dinner and beer. God, I love beer! And treacle pudding and cherry tart and cream, cream, cream, cream, cream, cream... as god is my judge, I'll never eat a lettuce leaf again.
Bathsheba Monk
January 18, 2013
Pleasant evening watching this DVD. Annette Bening and Jeremy Irons are splendid. The costumes are wonderful. The weak link--and it's a pretty big crack because the whole story revolves around it--is that the story starts out with Julia saying she wants something new and different and then proceeds to revert to her younger self which is old hat. What she really wanted was to stop growing old. Then, in the end she discovers she doesn't mind being alone and growing old because she has other qualities. I guess the movie accomplished what it set out to do, but perhaps the whole theme is too nuanced for a movie. I definitely think the chemistry between Julia and her young paramour was ridiculously unbelievable.
November 13, 2012
Annette Bening is nothing short of a virtuoso actress. This role as Julia Lambert proves such a statement easily. I was sucked into Bening's performance, and I was easily trapped in her web of personas. Being Julia tells the story of actress who is bored with her current life and needs something to fulfill the emptiness. Whether that thing is a younger boy who is the age of her son or a new production she is working on, Bening pushes herself in this role, and it shows. The beautiful direction, story, plot, actors, actresses, screenplay, and scenery shine through in a beautiful, unforgettable film that well-deservingly won many accolades for its triumphant and powerful message. Superb, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves amazing acting and occasional hilarious comedy.
August 18, 2012
I absolutely loved this movie. I adore Annette Bening and she has the most amazing handsome husband that has been so loving to her and incredibly wonderfully supportive to her in her career. What a beautiful couple Annette Bening and Warren Beatty are :-)
½ April 3, 2012
A mediocre film. It's almost like the actors had all decided not to take anything seriously. Except Bening, who does a half decent job.
February 28, 2012
A deserving retaliation.
½ January 25, 2012
Annette Bening is perfect.
January 15, 2012
Annette Bening is at her most brilliant playing an aging but ever-manipulative stage actress of the 1930s. She was robbed of her Oscar for the second time, as her sparkling performance here far outstrips that of eventual winner Hilary Swank in the dreary Million Dollar Baby. Being Julia is a competent little period comedy, which might lack the dramatic weight or 'respectable' moralising of its contemporaries but instead provides an intelligent and guilt-free sense of unabashed fun, as Bening's Julia jumps from illicit affairs to her madcap attempts at keeping her star the brightest in all the West End. The finale is utterly brilliant, and sets Julia almost in a league with the legendary Margo Channing as Hollywood's most devilish on-screen actress. This is a brillianly fun movie.
January 14, 2012
Wonderful acting to be sure, and Annette Bening in particular truly shines. The story itself is somewhat thin, and not especially inspiring. As usual, Jeremy Irons spends 70% of his time smoking. If you take away the nicotine products, I'm wondering if he could still act? Just a thought.
½ December 18, 2011
An amazing performance by Annette Bening!
December 7, 2011
What a wonderful movie! There was so much attention to detail in the story, characters, sets, costumes, everything. I would actually watch it again. Annette Benning was fantastic as Julia. By far my favorite part was the ending monolog from the play, the words were no longer words but extention of feelings and pure emotion. I was completely taken into this beautiful world was lying cheating and decite. This movie would be great for anyone who enjoys period pieces and also has a special part for the theater in their hearts.
½ November 12, 2011
Performa akting yang sangat kuat dari Annette Bening,..
Film yang sangat memukau. Oscar for Annette,...
October 26, 2011
Annette Bening and the other actors make this film so wonderful. Only sometimes in life one feels that it was worth watching a film. Being Julia gave that satisfaction. I am amused when some people complain about the film's climax. I think if they missed enjoying the climax, then what's the point in watching the film at all. It is one good example of how a climax should be :). I loved this film. I strongly recommend this film for people who love arts from their childhood.