Bel Ami - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bel Ami Reviews

½ August 13, 2014
Being uninterested in Pattinson as a vampire, teenage heart-throb, I thought myself unbiased and ready to appreciate his acting skills. Unfortunately, this movie did not reveal any.

Pattinson plays Georges Duroy, a penniless ex-NCO, who seduces and manipulates rich women despite a complete lack of wit or endowments. Besides not showing any of the charisma required by the part, Pattinson's rough features add further hindrance. The role would have suited an actor of refined handsomeness, to make the contrast with Georges personality even more striking. What we get instead is Pattinson's boxer nose, coupled with a flat delivery of his lines. It makes it hard to believe that so many women would find him irresistible

The story follows Duroy meeting in a brothel Forestier, a former comrade. For reasons impossible to understand, Forestier invites him to dinner and ends up offering Georges a job. During this dinner Georges meets three women willing to be manipulated like puppets, despite the fact that they all seem smarter than Georges.

The first is Clotilde is a rich, dizzy married woman, who just wants to be Georges lover at all costs. For their first sexual encounter, Georges invites her to his squalid abode and Clotilde decides to rent an expensive love nest to continue their relationship.

Madeleine is Forestier's wife, played by Thurman. She is an independent, clever woman who ends up marrying Georges, although she had absolutely no reason whatsoever to do so. Their relation is completely inexplicable.

Mme Rousset, played by Scott Thomas, is a middle aged married woman who loses her head for the completely charm-free Georges. The seduction scene that involves the two of them is cringe-inducing.

Finally, a fourth woman also falls for Georges, making the whole movie a sequel of sexual encounters strangely lacking any passion. Not bad for a boy who would hardly get a second glance, but incredibly tedious as a movie plot.
July 10, 2014
"World where politics and media jostle for influence, where sex is power and celebrity an obsession"
That's a great word for it!
½ March 31, 2014
did I just see Uma Thurman literally LITERALLY raping Robert Pattinson (...)?
½ December 5, 2013
Life's complicated. A man's professional and sexual evolution. Be careful for what you wish for.
November 23, 2013
slow moving at points a bit scattered and hard to follow, story doesnt really flow
November 5, 2013
I didn't get to see this on the big screen, I did enjoy it on my TV! I very much enjoyed this movie. Maybe because I didn't have to pay for it.
Harlequin68
½ November 1, 2013
In "Bel Ami," Georges Duroy(Robert Pattinson) finds the opportunity to go out for the evening in Paris in 1890, even though he is almost flat broke. That turns out to be a good move when he runs into Charles Forestier(Philip Glenister, of "Life on Mars"), an old army buddy who is doing well in business and invites Georges to dinner. He even gives Georges some money for the formal wear he requires, some of which is spent on purchasing the services of a prostitute(Natalia Tena). Georges' good luck continues when he is hired to write a newspaper column, with a little help from Charles' wife Madeleine(Uma Thurman) before he starts an affair with Clotilde(Christina Ricci).

While a great looking movie with promise, "Bel Ami," at the same time, cannot decide on what kind of movie it wants to be nor what it thinks of its anti-hero who intends to sleep his way to the top, both critical flaws.(I'd personally go for pitch black farce, myself.) Of course, it does not help that we get another cruel reminder that we will be stuck with Robert Pattinson for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, Christina Ricci is proof positive of the law of diminishing returns while Uma Thurman is neither here nor there. And Colm Meaney is much better playing a nineteenth century robber baron on "Hell on Wheels." But at least Kristin Scott Thomas gets it, stealing the movie with the few scenes she is in while even getting something meaningful out of Pattinson, reminding us what people may have seen in him in the first place.
½ October 16, 2013
Watched: 16 Oct 2013
½ September 23, 2013
Remake fraco, Robert Pattison péssimo como sempre.
September 17, 2013
Slow, boring movie. Waste of great talent!!
September 5, 2013
A ruthless young man claws his way out of poverty and uses the women who help him along the way without regard for their feelings in this lovely costume drama starring Richard Pattinson, Christina Ricci, Uma Thurman, and Kristin Scott Thomas. Young Mr Pattison holds his own among the trio of lovely, talented ladies, surprisingly. His character is not sympathetic, and one feels sorry for the way he uses and discards the people for whom he should be grateful, and yet the story draws one in, wondering just how cruel he can be and still find himself climbing the social ladder of Parisian society. The supporting cast is excellent and the costumes and sets are sumptuous. What a cad!
August 28, 2013
Best example of "False Advertising" in a film title. Ever. /snark
August 27, 2013
Kind of boring. Everytime Rob stepped outside into the sun I was waiting for him to sparkle!!! Lol
½ August 3, 2013
Aunque no he leído el libro, considero que puede ser mejor que la adaptación por la característica del autor...
July 25, 2013
Pelicula Dominguera, nada extraordinario
½ July 21, 2013
Reasonably enjoyable period drama.
½ July 18, 2013
S'okay I guess... Very light on the storyline and no real conclusion... But not a complete waste of almost two hours... Robert Pattinson does scrub up well, especially in period dress!! ;0)
July 8, 2013
Failed to show why all the actresses find the main character seductive. No chemistry between them at all.
July 1, 2013
So so. Story wasn't up to par for me.
½ June 18, 2013
Ambitious, and good on the script, but Robert Pattinson destroys any potential of this movie. He is nowhere at the right point.