Bel Ami - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bel Ami Reviews

½ December 5, 2013
Life's complicated. A man's professional and sexual evolution. Be careful for what you wish for.
November 23, 2013
slow moving at points a bit scattered and hard to follow, story doesnt really flow
November 5, 2013
I didn't get to see this on the big screen, I did enjoy it on my TV! I very much enjoyed this movie. Maybe because I didn't have to pay for it.
Harlequin68
½ November 1, 2013
In "Bel Ami," Georges Duroy(Robert Pattinson) finds the opportunity to go out for the evening in Paris in 1890, even though he is almost flat broke. That turns out to be a good move when he runs into Charles Forestier(Philip Glenister, of "Life on Mars"), an old army buddy who is doing well in business and invites Georges to dinner. He even gives Georges some money for the formal wear he requires, some of which is spent on purchasing the services of a prostitute(Natalia Tena). Georges' good luck continues when he is hired to write a newspaper column, with a little help from Charles' wife Madeleine(Uma Thurman) before he starts an affair with Clotilde(Christina Ricci).

While a great looking movie with promise, "Bel Ami," at the same time, cannot decide on what kind of movie it wants to be nor what it thinks of its anti-hero who intends to sleep his way to the top, both critical flaws.(I'd personally go for pitch black farce, myself.) Of course, it does not help that we get another cruel reminder that we will be stuck with Robert Pattinson for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, Christina Ricci is proof positive of the law of diminishing returns while Uma Thurman is neither here nor there. And Colm Meaney is much better playing a nineteenth century robber baron on "Hell on Wheels." But at least Kristin Scott Thomas gets it, stealing the movie with the few scenes she is in while even getting something meaningful out of Pattinson, reminding us what people may have seen in him in the first place.
½ October 16, 2013
Watched: 16 Oct 2013
½ September 23, 2013
Remake fraco, Robert Pattison péssimo como sempre.
September 17, 2013
Slow, boring movie. Waste of great talent!!
September 5, 2013
A ruthless young man claws his way out of poverty and uses the women who help him along the way without regard for their feelings in this lovely costume drama starring Richard Pattinson, Christina Ricci, Uma Thurman, and Kristin Scott Thomas. Young Mr Pattison holds his own among the trio of lovely, talented ladies, surprisingly. His character is not sympathetic, and one feels sorry for the way he uses and discards the people for whom he should be grateful, and yet the story draws one in, wondering just how cruel he can be and still find himself climbing the social ladder of Parisian society. The supporting cast is excellent and the costumes and sets are sumptuous. What a cad!
August 28, 2013
Best example of "False Advertising" in a film title. Ever. /snark
August 27, 2013
Kind of boring. Everytime Rob stepped outside into the sun I was waiting for him to sparkle!!! Lol
½ August 3, 2013
Aunque no he leído el libro, considero que puede ser mejor que la adaptación por la característica del autor...
July 25, 2013
Pelicula Dominguera, nada extraordinario
½ July 21, 2013
Reasonably enjoyable period drama.
½ July 18, 2013
S'okay I guess... Very light on the storyline and no real conclusion... But not a complete waste of almost two hours... Robert Pattinson does scrub up well, especially in period dress!! ;0)
July 8, 2013
Failed to show why all the actresses find the main character seductive. No chemistry between them at all.
July 1, 2013
So so. Story wasn't up to par for me.
½ June 18, 2013
Ambitious, and good on the script, but Robert Pattinson destroys any potential of this movie. He is nowhere at the right point.
½ June 14, 2013
Period drama about sexism and a jerk who uses it to get what he wants... Along the lines of a mutant mashup of the Libertine and Les Liasions Dangereuse
June 10, 2013
Poorly written screenplay with terrible direction, old and ugly costumes, cheap make-up and misguided performances... all these make Bel Ami involuntarily hilarious, I don't doubt the original story by Maupassant is really good, but the adaptations is bad.
½ May 6, 2013
Like the upbeat sexiness of the movie, its a fun, quick film. However, by the end of the movie I had a new outlook on Pattinson as an actor. I finally saw him as a character that was not so sweet, not so innocent, not a savior, and in this film, just a complete jerk to some degree!