Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla Reviews

• Jul 17, 2019

The only good thing about this movie is the actress Charlita. Your eyes follow her throughout the movie. Couldn't take my eyes off her!

• Nov 20, 2016

Poor old Bela Lugosi slumming it again to keep his demons at bay. This time with a half assed Martin and Lewis rip off. Still, I guess one could find a couple nostalgic chuckles in it...

• Nov 10, 2016

The movie sucks but Sammy Petrillo's dead on Jerry Lewis persona must be seen.

The movie sucks but Sammy Petrillo's dead on Jerry Lewis persona must be seen.

• Feb 15, 2016

http://letterboxd.com/zbender/film/bela-lugosi-meets-a-brooklyn-gorilla/ The jungle, Bela Lugosi, and a gorilla. So basically everything in the title tells all? Wrong. Instead meet Sammy and Duke. They're parachutes have gotten them on an island home to an Indian tribe that doesn't speak a lick of their own language, and a bewildered Bela Lugosi who at this point has been passed around the industry a fair share of times. Duke and Sammy is essentially a knock off of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis except Sammy is the bastard child of Jerry Lewis and Jim Carrey and is made a fuck ton more annoying. They were gonna be the next great duo, and there wasn't a lack of trying. Sammy's trying to bust jokes that completely missed me, and Duke has some pipes. But goddamit what about Lugosi? I felt terrible for the guy. I wonder what Lugosi was thinking when the director told him to do his Dracula impression. How horrid. At least for a moment Lugosi was reminded of what was and what would never be again. The best acting came from Ramona the monkey, they gave Sammy too many lines, and this movie could've used more Bela Lugosi meeting a fucking Brooklyn Gorilla. 72% of this film is Sammy making loud high pitched whines. Duke has a dull romantic side story bout with a woman on the island. And in the end it all won't matter when we have a "dream cop out" ending. Maybe I should be glad Bela Lugosi decided on comedy toward the end of his life. Unfortunately, for Duke and Sammy this would be their only bout together, and the Martin and Lewis get up would end along when the real Martin/Lewis team ended.

• Oct 19, 2014

BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA is the story of entertainers (a loose term) Duke Mitchell (a singer mimicking Dean Martin) and Sammy Petrillo (a comedian - another loose term - mimicking Jerry Lewis. They crash land on a desert island and are rescued by the local tribe of natives. The beautiful daughter of the chief falls for Duke, while her fat sister falls for Sammy. The beautiful one works by day for a mad evolutionary scientist (Bela Lugosi, of course) on another part of the island. The cast make the most out of a pathetically poor script that features lots of jokes, only they aren't funny. Interestingly, Bela has serious designs on his beautiful young island girl/assistant. Things liven up a bit with the introduction of Ramona the Chimp, who like the fat island girl, seems to fall in love with Sammy, or at least she's just using his lesser IQ to get what she wants. Perhaps she gets it when they sleep together in her lab cage, but the scene fades out. Meanwhile, Bela plans to use a serum to change a man into a gorilla, with Duke as his intended test subject. Eventually this all ends with Bela getting revenge against the entertainers for meddling with his evil plans, or does it? The twist ending leaves a lot to be desired. As usual, Bela Lugosi is the best thing in the film, and handles his role professionally throughout. The real Martin and Lewis eventually sued Mitchell and Petrillo, ending their mimickry.

• Nov 20, 2013

It makes me feel good knowing we live in a world where movie titles like this can exist.

• Oct 25, 2013

Dracula! Jerry Lewis! Monkeys! Who Can Resist--Rockin'& Rollin' with Bela!!

Dracula! Jerry Lewis! Monkeys! Who Can Resist--Rockin'& Rollin' with Bela!!

• Jun 30, 2012

Dreadful! Make you actually long for the real Martin and Lewis!

Dreadful! Make you actually long for the real Martin and Lewis!

• Mar 18, 2012

As much as people say this was bad, I found it actually good. I mean, of course, it's silly, the character of Sammy Petrillo is a bit annoying at times, but overall I thought it wasn't that bad. The plot is a bit strange: Performers Duke and Sammy (made to resemble Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin) get stranded on an island, but it isn't as bad as it seems- there's hot (and not so hot) girls and luaus. However, Duke and Sammy meet the mysterious Dr. Zabor (Bela Lugosi), who is jealous of Duke and the Chief's daughter, Nona,'s romance, so he concocts a scheme to turn Duke into a gorilla, but people can't save Duke for 2 reasons: they think he is another chimp, Romona- and two, he can't talk- but can sing. Okay, it wasn't a fantastic movie. It's just that people say this movie was one of the worst, and I don't truthfully think that. It was a bit silly at times, but I like silly, but some parts were over the top. The only thing really painful to me was Duke Mitchell's singing. It was really terrible, too much shakyness in his voice ruined the movie's songs, but the comedy and writing wasn't bad. The storyline- okay, a little strange, but the title just means that Duke is, well, a gorilla who used to be from Brooklyn. I would suggest it, it wasn't bad, but not the best movie ever.

• Dec 08, 2011

While I'm sure I've said this more than once, this might be the worst movie I have ever seen. It makes me want to strangle every single person who had any sort of hand in its creation. I will give Lugosi a smidgen of credit, as he does sort of try a little bit. Mitchell and Petrillio's ultra-lameo rip-off of Martin and Lewis ranks as one of the most pathetic duo performances of all time. Seriously, its just ridiculous even to a seasoned crappy movie veteran. Its so bad that its not even enjoyable in its badness. Just an hour and 15 minutes closer to death. Actually, death might be preferable to watching this again.