Believe in Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Believe in Me Reviews

March 1, 2015
Great basketball movie, great overall movie.
June 18, 2014
A solid sports movie nice strong women's sports movie
½ December 31, 2012
The obvious comparison is to one of my all-time favourite movies, Hoosiers, but despite it being a relatively solid movie, it doesn't really get there. Jeffrey Donovan provides a good performance here, as the head coach who comes on board with the team at their worst, before steering the girls to victory. The acting is okay, but not great - however I will admit that the acting was good enough for me to get quite involved in the story (got the tingles a few times). The basketball itself looked quite realistic, also - which is sometimes a major downfall of movies such as this. This is a good film for you if, like me, you enjoy these types of sporting movies and feel-good stories. Otherwise, I'm not sure this is one for you.
½ April 29, 2012
Apart of a string of feel-good basketball movies of the last decade, Believe in Me may follow a text book storyline but it still delivers the goods. Most importantly, it tells the story of some trailblazing pioneers of woman's basketball, a story that all hoops fan should see.
½ April 24, 2012
Great! Good acting, humorous and inspiring! Especially wonderful job by Jefferey Donovan
October 3, 2011
Very good movie. An Underdog story. A Boy's basketball coach is transferred to coach a Gilrs basketball team, with struggle and love all combined it makes a great movie.
April 5, 2011
Nothing really special about this film, especially when you compare it to similar films. I just happen to connect very well with it because of my own coaching experiences. Definitely worth it if you are a coach.
December 6, 2010
You can see where this movie is going once it gets started, and that's ok. It tell this simple story well and it will leave you with good feelings when its done.
½ October 14, 2010
What a good movie. I have always loved a movie that we can cheer for the underdog, and be really happy for how things turn out. Jeffrey Donovan is wonderful in this.
August 28, 2010
Better than I expected, only watching it because I was on a long busride between Rainbow beach and Airlie beach while backpacking in Australia.
July 22, 2010
Jeffrey Donovan, great as usual. You could call this Hoosiers with girls, but that wouldn't be fair to either movie.
½ July 9, 2010
Based on a true story. Surprisingly enjoyable and emotionally uplifting movie. Acting is very good and movie plays true to the actual story. Kind of cookie cutter story line but nicely done.
April 30, 2010
Overall good movie. Could watch it with my daughters.
Harlequin68
½ April 30, 2010
In "Believe in Me," it is 1964 and Clay Driscoll(Jeffrey Donovan) and his wife Jean(Samantha Mathis) are moving to Middleton in western Oklahoma where he has been hired for his first head coaching job for the local high school basketball team. He is angry when he finds out that it is the girls' basketball team, not the boys'. He calms down somewhat when he reads the fine print on the contract and finds gender is not specified. At the first practice, most of the girls quit, leaving the team shorthanded and they get off to an awful start. The team improves somewhat over the rest of the season, but they still only end up with six wins. That does not do anything for Clay's job prospects as the best he can do is an assistant job in another city with a shot at the head coaching job in a few years' time.

Inspired by a true story, "Believe in Me" is an entertaining and sweet, not saccharine, movie that does admittedly overstep on a couple of occasions. And the ending of the climactic game is highly unlikely to say the least, but weirder things have happened, right? However, the movie is smart enough to bring up the occasional bit of strategy.

Not only does the movie capture a time and place very well, it also subtly displays the first signs of the egalitarian nature of the 60's. All of the girls are given a chance to play based on ability, not status, and Clay is a part of the community, not above it. But this is only the beginning and change like the improved play of the team does not happen overnight. For example, 1964 may be the start of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, but it will not be until 1972 that Title IX is passed by Congress.
April 30, 2010
Aw...the inspirational sports story! You know the underdog athlete or team usually mentored by a wise and determined coach. It's one of the most overused formulas in film, and none of these three films manages to emerge as important entries in this saturated genre.

[b]Pride (2007) - 4.5/10[/b]
Director - Sunu Gonera
Starring - Terence Howard, Bernie Mac, Kimberly Elise, Tom Arnold, Brandon Fobbs, Evan Ross, Nate Parker, Regine Nehy, Gary Sturgis.

Jim Ellis (Terence Howard) is an African-American swim coach who takes a job at an inner city rec center in Philadelphia because, well there isn't much of a demand for black swim coaches in this pasty white sport. Set in the mid-1970's, Ellis "inherits" a ragtag group of kids who have nothing better to do after their basketball court is torn down. Eventually Ellis instills "pride" and the swimmers compete against the priviliged white suburban kids coached by the evil Tom Arnold.

The story is poorly wriiten, especially considering a good story does exist here. The all important black vs. white angle seems forced, as does the neighborhood thug character determined to "take back" his kids. Terence Howard, an actor I genuinely like, does his best to keep the film afloat, but even he can't overcome it's shortcomings.

[b]Peaceful Warrior (2006) - 4.5/10[/b]
Director - Victor Salva
Starring - Scott Mechlowicz, Nick Nolte, Amy Smart, Ashton Holmes, Tim DeKay, Agnes Bruckner.

Scott Mechlowicz stars as a college gymnast with Olympic aspirations. He's also a womanizer and a self-important jerk. One night he runs into a fascinating, yet strange man named Socrates (Nick Nolte) who happens to run a gas station. Socrates tries to instill morals and values, but the gymnast isn't fully receptive.....until a near-fatal motorcycle accident threatens to end his promising gymnastics career. Based on a popular book, the movie isn't quite as "simple" as most in the genre, but it finally digresses into the same cliched tried and true formula that sinks most films in this genre. Nolte is probably the main reason to watch this film, but I liked him more in the recent indie "Off the Black".

[b]Believe In Me (2006) - 4.5/10[/b]
Director - Robert Collector
Starring - Jeffrey Donovan, Samantha Mathis, Bruce Dern, Bob Gunton, Alicia Lagano.

Based on a true story, this film chronicles the unlikely rise of a rural girl's basketball team in the mid 1960's. Jeffrey Donovan stars as Clay Driscoll, a young coach who heads to Oklahoma with his wife (played by Samantha Mathis) thinking he's going to coach the boy's basketball team. Wrong. Stuck with a pathetic team of girls and an apathetic town, Driscoll tries to make the best of the situation, soon becoming embroiled in small-town politics with a local tyrant played by Bruce Dern. Of course the girls rally around the coach and eventually become a team, afterall they wouldn't make a movie if they just kept losing!

Nothing new here at all, well except it's a girl's team instead of a boys team. Otherwise it never strays from the tried and true inspirational sports story formula.
½ January 28, 2010
It was like Hoosiers, but w/ chicks.
December 21, 2009
Sounds like a great movie.
November 21, 2009
The story is told in a manner that is much too formulaic and cliche to be of much interest. There are compelling angles on feminism in girls basketball and in rural Oklahoma in the 1960s, but they are explored in a very traditional way that serves to sap much of the real drama out of the plot.
½ September 29, 2009
A lovely story about a girls basketball team in a small town in the us. It's set in the 60's, a time when being a girl and playing a sport like basketball wasn't easy. But one person believed in them.
I think Jeffery Donovan does a very good job playing the role of coach Clay Driscoll.
September 20, 2009
This has to be one of the movies that released some tears from me. I like it because it shows the ....human struggle progressively from where it has been to present plus that state winning shot needs to be seen.