Bella (Beauty) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bella (Beauty) Reviews

January 25, 2012
Sentimental and at times implausible, but quite entertaining.
January 1, 2012
Sweet and with a clear message against abortion.
December 28, 2011
The movie is a quiet and calmed chain of events that talk about guilt, family, important things in life and abortion. It exposures a point of view but does it without imposing anything, just showing options. In that sense, quite nice to be seen by anyone, but very far away from a masterwork.
December 19, 2011
My all-time favorite! Can't wait 'til it comes out on Dvd!
December 11, 2011
Unexpectedly touching and inspiring.
December 10, 2011
Sweet, feel good movie that leaves you with a satisfied feeling. "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Recommended.
December 4, 2011
Sweet, touching film about the power of love.. and redemption. The characters were exceptional together, and I loved the way everything was shot. But if I'd have a complaint, it would be that Bella lacked.. "oomph". Power. A sustainable force that could literally move you where you sat, but the film was just too easygoing, relaxing, and evenly paced (the music didn't help either) to accomplish this. Also, it was far too short; not that it felt rushed or anything, but so much more could have been packed into this package. Still a beautiful film, though.
½ November 27, 2011
Una autentica decepcion, sobre todo despues del las expectativas que habia montado (Premio del Publico en Toronto)... Una pelicula no mala en si, sino floja, muy floja. Casi podia haber sido un corto. Ni los actores ni los personajes tienen carisma. Alguna buena escena suelta y poco mas.
El cine latino de USA puede dar muchisimo mas... Animo!
November 13, 2011
This film won the audience award at the Toronto Film Festival and I had wanted to see it since. It is a film about pain, guilt and redemption and occasional ventures into melodrama but it features strong performances, beautiful cinematography and is ultimately a good story. Worth checking out.
November 1, 2011
A disappointing if not uninspiring movie with no plot (not even in the Malick-ian sense) that just meanders and plods along. The acting seemed forced and the direction was aimless. This was a movie that supposedly had a pro-life message, but I saw no message at all. At the end of the day, we learned nothing from it.
October 28, 2011
I love this movie sooooo much!! I would give it five stars. It is defiantly the best movie ever made, and is one of my favorites. It makes you cry and laugh. If you have not seen it yet, watch it. I bet you'll really enjoy it. :)
October 26, 2011
i m not sure if its a romance. i recon its a story about healing. good soundtrack and smooth cinema photography. :)
October 10, 2011
Very lovely and touching film. I thought a little more definitive clarity at the end would have helped, but I still really enjoyed it.Reminded me of Juno...but I liked it a lot more.
September 28, 2011
not a perfect film, but it was quite moving!!!
August 26, 2011
thoughts:

theres not much to it. ?

the cinematography is really bad. and the instrumental parts of the soundtrack are cheap.

this is a case of style and delivery weakening a decent story. the acting was subpar too. at least in the sense that it looked like acting. real good acting. but still looked liked acting.

very simple. a bit melodramatic. sentimental. it's clunky in delivery. and the anti abortion agenda is so strong throughout. it's borderline preachy. but instead of asking universal questions about love and loss to it's audience it just skips right to the pat answers and boxes it up nice in a tidy mushy cry fest.
½ August 10, 2011
Muy lindo drama romantico, no es la gran pelicula pero es muy disfrutable y recomendable! Un evento puede hacer que tu vida cambie para siempre en tan solo un segundo...
½ July 26, 2011
Excellent indie flick. Simple, beautifully shot, well acted with redemptive characters that come around full circle!
½ July 26, 2011
Despite its many strengths, I can't quite recommend it. There are elements and moments that are worthwhile, even remarkable, but as a whole it seems always to be searching for its story, unable to latch onto the compelling stories that seem always to be just out of the film's reach.

Most crippling is an often vaguely awkward performance from Blanchard as Nina. While she hits many of the emotional cues with sincerity, she seems mostly to be trying to understand Nina rather than feeling comfortable in her skin. Not all blame for this can be handed to Blanchard, though, the script failing to instill Nina with much that would engender sympathy.

Those failings are pivotal, making Jose's captivation with her slightly confusing in spite of the understandable psychological reasons.

The rest of the characters are more believably, even interestingly written, and all are cast well. Of particular satisfaction are Jose's family, his father most of all.

Monteverde's narrative devices, like the, if you will, meta-flash forwards, come across as fresh and intriguing, but his general narrative style isn't as compelling as, say, country-men Iñárritu or Cuarón.

Ultimately, there are things worth seeing here, but not enough to give the whole a lasting impression.
½ June 6, 2011
An authentic story of love and family, unexpectedly intense, intimate, and engaging, like Once. Powerful performance, confusing ending, but ultimately satisfying.