The Bellboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bellboy Reviews

½ March 12, 2016
ok slapstick comedy harkens back to the good ole silent days
December 10, 2014
Though it has no story or plot, I greatly enjoyed The Bellboy, basically a series of scenes in which he doesn't speak but gets progressively in deeper trouble in his bellboy position. I wish more comedies, especially by cast members of SNL or SCTV, would take this approach--I think they'd be more successful. When it comes to Jerry Lewis, my thoughts are almost like the French in considering him a genius. I love his experimental nature behind the camera. I think at times he can be just as intelligent as Godard but with the audacity or balls to be his own muse rather than try and find an alter ego.
May 5, 2014
You can say what you want about Jerry Lewis, but this movie is truly comedic genius and (along with "The Ladies Man") one of his best films.
April 20, 2014
A funny series of comedy short sketches by the comedy master, Jerry Lewis.
April 18, 2014
The Bellboy is probably Jerry Lewis' most experimental film, and also one of his best. Unlike other comedies where there's a plot to make jokes out of, this movie is just a collection of vignettes featuring a group of recurring characters, which are all workers at a high end hotel. You can just see the possibilities flowing out of that sentence. Any possible gag is used, phones, elevators, dogs, models, orchestras, chairs, all of them are here, and many are at their best. While the style of the film might turn some people away, it's a must watch for any that can appreciate short order comedy.
½ December 15, 2013
A successful debut of Jerry behind the cameras and still making great scenes with slapstick and physical comedy.
November 4, 2013
It was inspired enjoyable comic yarn- bouncing between fantasy and some realty based bits of comedy.
½ June 28, 2013
The comedy in this... often slapstick... is very lame and Lewis's exaggerated and over the top mannerism are often irritating. I think I laughed about twice throughout the entire movie.
May 19, 2013
He always makes me laugh anyway
½ December 19, 2012
There's no plot for this film, it's just a series of comic vignettes with Jer as a troublesome bellhop at a prestigious hotel. lots of laughs, even the dumbest gags are cleverly handled. Jerry's first full-length features as a director (though he had directed an obscure short ' How to Smuggle a Hernia Across the Border' in 1949)
December 13, 2012
what's the matter with you can't you talk? sure i can talk hahaha
November 19, 2012
As close as Jerry Lewis could ever have gotten to Jacques Tati, this film which he wrote and directed is a compilation of raw comedic sketches without the false and predictable pretences of a plot.
November 7, 2012
So funny, a classic comedy movie
½ July 13, 2012
Very funny slapstick (and other assorted schtick) crammed into a fast-paced 70 minutes. Lewis is at the top of his game, and the vignettes his composes for himself are truly hilarious. To call the plot paper-thin would not be true, because there is no discernible plot (AT ALL), and a narrative throughline of some kind (any kind!) would have certainly made the movie better, but as a highlight reel showcasing Lewis' prowess, this is unquestionably effective and successful at what it tries to be.
April 28, 2012
One of the greatest comedians of all time in possibly his best role
½ April 9, 2012
this one was funny...
½ December 21, 2011
I think I'm just of the wrong generation because I really didn't enjoy this. I didn't even finish watching it. I got half way through and stopped. There were some funny bits, but overall, I found it stale. Jerry Lewis is a funny man, but as the intro says, The Bellboy is not a movie with a story. It's an hour and fifteen minutes of live action Looney Tunes but not as funny or enjoyable. [1.5 Stars] [122111]
½ October 29, 2011
A pretty decent movie with no real point to it. It's got some very funny sketches, and some others that seem pretty dumb, too.
½ February 7, 2011
I have been studying different comedian's movies recently, especially that of Jerry Lewis. Though I will always prefer him with Dean Martin, this one movie has stuck out to me as a truly great performance. The movie starts with a disclaimer that there is no plot, purely comedy. Those who strive for thought provoking material should clearly immediately bypass this movie, but for those who just enjoy good humor this movie is a must see. Lewis's performance strays a little from his usual outlandish behavior to a more subtle comedy. He draws from his idol Stan Laurel and settles down a bit for the role. Set in the hotel where Lewis was performing at the time, it is a simple compilation of different screw-ups and oddities of a certain bellboy. Stanley (Lewis) never speaks a word until the end and obediently does the work that is given him. And when Lewis appears as himself he does not fail to disappoint. With the movie only having a four week shooting time it is incredibly well "thought out" even though it has no plot. It is simple, clean, and the subtlety of the slapstick is quite endearing; everything one could expect from Lewis's first directing gig.
January 25, 2011
Ridiculously funny. More of a sketch show than a movie, and not all the sketches work, but the ones that do are masterful. I loved the scene with Stanley Laurel.