Belle Epoque (The Age of Beauty) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Belle Epoque (The Age of Beauty) Reviews

½ August 5, 2010
A very entertaining fun romp. Spain, sun, sex, love and the Cruz at her careers best performance.
April 30, 2010
Very ahead of its time. A story of the things that really matter in life. Many great actors at their beginning of their careers, which I though was also interesting.
March 22, 2010
Sweet & Delighful romantic/comedy from ( Spain ) about a young man who loves 4 sisters >>> but in return one of them loves him more >> won oscar for best foreign film 1993
½ February 26, 2010
I started off unsure if I would like it or not, due to the subtitles and its time setting, but I ended up loving it! It's a great, entertaining movie.
½ January 9, 2010
an enjoyable countryside tale - revealing both the early work of Penelope Cruz and also Chus Lampreave in a deranged *Almodovar* character, something she excels at in later years. I enjoyed this :)
January 6, 2010
Nostalgic and whimsical, with a decent storyline and good performances.
December 18, 2009
that hottest girl, whatever her name is, was in the movie.. so I gave it four stars
November 10, 2009
El directror Fernando Trueba nos entrega una deliciosa comedia de enredos romanticos que respira erotismo por todas partes. Magnificas actuaciones y divertida de principio a fin.
October 25, 2009
I really liked this film; it has all the whit and charm that i like in Spanish movies. it's about young soldier who deserts the army and runs across a small Spanish town. He meets Fernando Fernando Gomez's character and the 2 spark an instant friendship. It gets rather interesting when his 4 daughters arrive after being away and while it's rated R a lot of seductiveness and eroticness of the film is done through the direction of the film rather than blatantly. Gomez was quite a treat w/ some funny lines. Penelope Cruz is beautiful as always. It's a light film, but very entertaining to watch how the young soldier is seduced by the 3 eldest sisters. A simple story of a young man seduced; then finds love. The film won best foreign film in 1992; hard not to see why.
ElCochran90
½ September 18, 2009
As crazy as a Spanish film usually is, but the cast is top-notch and the plot is very respectable. One of the finest contemporary romantic tales of foreign cinema, and one of the cuttest as well.

70/100
September 10, 2009
want to see this AGAIN.
½ July 27, 2009
A young man's wet dream. To be taken in by a generous man only to find out he has four beautiful daugters who each in turn try and seduce you, only to make love to each and finally marry the youngest of them, who is being played by the georgous Penelope Cruz. Slightly unrealistic, but a fun movie. Those europeans really know how to do sex. At least we have Tarantino and get to watch peoples ears being cut off.
½ July 14, 2009
A spanish twist on Legends of the Fall / Inventing the Abbotts. This movie is mostly fluffy and predictable, but one can take a step back and appreciate the comedy (especially from the poor ol dad's point of view). Gil's mustachio's the funniest!
½ July 12, 2009
what a crazy film... like it.
May 5, 2009
Genuine and funny, all men should have this guy's problems.
April 30, 2009
Amusing Spanish Oscar winner for Foreign Film about a deserter who manages to find himself helping out an old man and his hot daughters. The guy is attracted to all the daughters (and they to him) and entertainment ensues. Clever moments throughout, I loved the street dance sequence and Penelope Cruz gives a nice performance. The opening is also very good, it's a nice set up for the story.
March 16, 2009
Really funny, great language they speak, really funny and down to eath, it's worth a saturday evening with popcorn and coffee :)