The Belle of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Belle of New York Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
Lesser known MGM musical attempts to be whimsical and doesn't always succeed, but there are plenty of chances to see Fred Astaire & Vera-Ellen dance together (four production numbers in 82 minutes!); Fred's specialty number ("Seeing Is Believing") is ruined by ineffective special effects.
½ May 26, 2014
I love watching Vera & Fred dance.
May 13, 2014
This is a story about a playboy who falls in love with a Bowery worker during the turn of the century. He would do anything to get her even do some work. As you are going along I think the movie forgets it's suppose to have a plot. There's pretty much no plot and becomes alot of singing and dancing. Now, fred astaire who I think is very cool does the singing and dancing which he does very well and that kinda makes up for the missing plot. He is very enjoyable to watch when he dances. It's amazing what he can do and he does show his many talents In this movie. The rest of the cast is forgettable. Fred Astaire is very fun to watch when he sings and dances and this movie you might not want to be your first viewing of a movie of his. No plot but very good dancing and some pretty good songs performed by Fred but other than that this movie ain't much of a treasure.
½ December 11, 2013
This very average film is not one of Fred's musical triumphs, but is watchable.
August 15, 2010
MGM's 1952 experimenting with the proven Fred Astaire formula resulted in this, one of his more forgotten outings.

The main gimmick at fault is the use of blue/green screen to continually portray Astaire a-dance upon air. One minute he's tapping across the top of the Washington Square Arch (well, an obvious set-piece made to appear atop it), the next minute, he's tippy-toeing his way all over the nothingness between its flagposts. It all just looks too strange, a ruining of the viewing experience.

The balance of the song and dance is entertaining, but not anywhere near Astaire's top-drawer work. His second solo, "Wanna Be A Dancin' Man," might be called an exception.

When 31-year-old Vera-Ellen dons a full-length black-sequined number for her solo "Naughty But Nice," her well-maintained 19-inch waistline (effected by her constant anorexic purging) is plain enough for all to see (though not so much so as within 1954s "White Christmas" w/ Bing Crosby). Vera ditched Hollywood for good just five years after "Belle."

RECOMMENDATION: OK for completists, everyone else should at least see Astaire's "Top Hat" and "Swing Time" first.
½ December 8, 2009
There is some WEIRD stuff in this movie like the plot and the literally walking on air part but there are some extended dance numbers that are absolutely incredibly. Fred was about double Vera-Ellen's age but he's still got it! If you like dance, I would recommend it; otherwise skip.
June 24, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
December 31, 2008
Great dance numbers but a pretty bland story line.
½ December 23, 2008
One of the worst Astaire ever made. Mostly because of the plot, shallow characters, and the script. The dancing is as good as Astaire ever did, though.
mwilliams078
November 28, 2008
The Belle of New York, starring Fred Astaire and Vera Ellen is a very lovely MGM musical. The costumes, dance numbers are delightful. I very much like both Vera Ellen and Fred Astaire so it is nice to see they were teamed up...both are very gifted dancers. Check this classis musical out!
November 4, 2007
This is definitely the weakest Astaire picture I've seen, but it's still worthwhile for those that crave an old fashioned Hollywood musical. It's a mid level production in just about every sense of the word.
jjnxn
½ October 9, 2007
Minor Astaire, very colorful but ordinary.
½ September 29, 2007
I really like Fred with Vera-Ellen. The plot is not great, but the songs and dances make up for it.
½ September 8, 2007
This is only worth seeing to see "I wanna be a dancin' man". The plot is scarily reminiscent of a generic Guys and Dolls. See that instead and check out the Fred dance on the "That's Entertainment" DVDs.
½ August 26, 2007
What it lacks in plot is more then made up by it's short running and near non-stop musical numbers. Nothing groundbreaking in this one, just a charming musical. A bit of a through back to the RKO Astaire & Rogers pictures.
August 12, 2007
Very enjoyable film. Yes, the special effects do not seem to work but the movie made up for them. Of course, the real highlight was Fred Astaire singing and dancing to the song "I Wanna Be a Dancin' Man." And, as always after watching him, so do I.
July 3, 2007
This is one of those movies its bad its good. Not much plot in this movie but has some great numbers in it.