The Bells of St. Mary's - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bells of St. Mary's Reviews

September 3, 2015
Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman head the proceedings as the local dilapidated Catholic school is in danger of being torn down. Playing smooth and breezy Crosby sometimes disagrees with Bergman's by-the-book head nun, but they actually complement each other as sort of the metaphoric mom and dad pairing parents and children both can desire in this unabashed 2 hour commercial for the Catholic Church, made back when the Church's reputation had yet to be sullied with myriad unpleasant scandals. Its a pleasant time passer of a film if you don't look too closely at some of the creepy plot points (like how Crosby's priest congratulates a bully for bullying while simultaneously blaming the victim). It's the first Crosby film I've ever seen where I wished he wouldn't sing a note.
½ January 10, 2015
Nobody makes these anymore. I'm so tired of cynicism. Yeah, these people are the problem in society, & Bill Maher is the solution. okay.
The prequel for It's A Wonderful Life.
Why do people like this better than Going My Way?
December 21, 2014
Good classic Crosby movie
December 16, 2014
They just do not make movies like this anymore! Christmas classic and how can you not love Bing especially in this role!
½ July 5, 2014
So charming and sweet, but not quite as good as Going MyWay
½ February 14, 2014
Really a very excellent and touching film, much better than Going My Way.
½ January 10, 2014
The Bells of St . Mary's is an excellent film. It is about Father O'Malley and Sister Benedict who indulge in friendly rivalry, and succeed in extending the school through the gift of a building in a big Catholic city. Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Leo McCarey did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. The Bells of St. Mary's is a must see.
December 30, 2013
Bing Crosby's Father O'Malley helped another nun and school find their way. Bing only sings a few songs but it's right up his alley. Cute story.
½ December 18, 2013
this was one of my mom's fave movies i lost count of the times i watched it with her-whenever it was on
November 21, 2013
Despite being touted as a Christmas movie, there is really only one scene that takes place around the holiday, the majority of the film takes place over the course of a year. Bing Crosby's Father O'Malley (from "Going My Way") returns, this time taking over a parochial school and clashing styles this time with the head Nun instead of an aging priest. This was a better film than "Going My Way" in my opinion, as I felt that was a tad overrated. This is a decent film, that's slightly less sentimental, and a little more charming. Highlights include a nun teaching a kid to box, and the relationship between Crosby and Ingrid Bergman. I wouldn't say this is a Christmas movie, like it is so often hailed, but it is a solid film fro mthe Golden Age of Hollywood.
½ August 6, 2013
Being a sequel to the previous Going My Way, The Bell of St. Mary's serves to be praising the endeavoured teachers and advocacy of goodness. Despite the simplicity and cheesiness at times, the excellent performance from Bing Crosby, and Ingrid Bergman more importantly, allows us a pleasant viewing experience.
½ May 26, 2013
"The Bells of St. Mary's" is a classic but it didn't really grab my attention. It is a good movie but by today's standards, I don't think that it was worthy of 8 Oscar nominations, especially Best Picture. Ingrid Bergman was wonderful as Sister Benedict and absolutely earned her nomination. But I didn't see much in Bing Crosby (especially since he had already won an Oscar for that role in a previous film). The characters were well-written and the story was interesting, but moments like that awkward Christmas pageant detract from the quality of the film. It was very interesting to see Henry Travers (Clarence from "It's A Wonderful Life") playing a bad guy, although I was glad that he still have a few of those lovable dimwitted moments. The fighting lesson was heartwarming and the ending is unexpected (in a great way). "The Bells of St. Mary's" isn't a bad film but it is just sort of average.
January 3, 2013
I am old movie nut, but I LOVE Ingrid Bergman and Bing Crosby in this movie. A classic around Christmas time.
December 23, 2012
Sentimental sequel to the sentimental Going My Way.
December 20, 2012
Mr. Crosby makes a great Catholic Priest! :)
December 18, 2012
Lovely picture. Good for it's time.
½ December 11, 2012
Believe it or not, this was my first Ingrid Bergman film, and I think I'm in love. Besides having great lines, her delivery was perfect. She made Crosby look like a dope :). Also, Clarence the angel is in this, too! I like McCarey's writing. So far I've only seen him work with others' material.
October 29, 2012
I like this film, I like White Chritmas better but it's still good.
October 23, 2012
Syrupy sweet, but fun to watch so that we can see how things were treated in 1945. The Pledge of Allegiance does not have "Under God" in it! It was OK for boys to fight each other, and it was also OK to not tell people their health situation. And the Man was always right. Wow.
hunterjt13
August 15, 2012
A priest and a nun run a struggling school and try to convince a businessman to give them a neighboring building.
I don't see much conflict between the two main characters. Their differences are pedestrian, and the few differences that wind up as plot points aren't all that compelling. In fact, I was uncomfortable with the film's approval of Father O'Malley's handling of a schoolyard fight; he declares a bully "the winner" of a fight, and the "loser," a boy who did nothing to start the fight, ends up getting pugilism lessons from a nun. The episode is meant to accentuate O'Malley's worldliness, but shouldn't priests - at the very least - not embrace violence? O'Malley's attitude not only belies verisimilitude; it makes the character less appealing.
I've always liked Ingrid Bergman, but there's not a lot to this character for such a great actress to sink her teeth into. Bing Crosby has the voice of God even though the situations that allow his character to sing feel contrived.
Overall, I have trouble understanding why this film gets universal accolades because a lot of the film didn't work for me.