Beloved - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

remind me of
Les chansons d'amour
the cast, the story
July 20, 2012
Christophe i really love you, what a great story and fantastic characters
July 14, 2012
Les Chansons d'Amour com distimia.
July 9, 2012
Five decades. Four countries. Two languages. And an occasional song. This is definitely Christophe Honore's most ambitious film yet. And he kills it. Without question, it's one of the best films of the year. And it reduced me to a sobbing mess. Twice.
½ June 4, 2012
I was intrigued enough to see this film as I am a huge fan of Milos Forman as a director and curiosity got the better of me when I saw his name on the cast list.

Whenever a film comes out of France, it has the danger of being labelled chic, quirky or arty. I believe this is the case here. I failed to see anything much of a plot. I watch many French films, living in France myself, so I was under no such "pre-illusions". Seeing "Cannes Film Festival" emblazoned across the DVD packet did worry me a little too.

Whilst the subject seems to be centred around lust, passion and bad relationship choices getting the better of people, the predominence of sex scenes was applied too liberally. Everyone likes a dashing of sauce, but not at the expense of hiding the taste of the meal.

If there was a meal to be had. I really fail to see what this film was really about. I had no interest in the characters, or to how they ended up.

Some fantastic shooting across Prague, Paris and London, from the 60s and up to the current date. I couldn't care less about the singing bits. It seemly oddly out of place in the film. Perhaps this was on purpose, but I could only guess.

The moral of the story seems to be, don't steal shoes. After this film, I certainly won't. Then again, I wasn't planning on it, nor am I planning on watching another Honorà (C) film.
½ May 8, 2012
Indulgent liad of tosh. Poor Deneuve - just not believable in this load of old cobblers.
½ March 17, 2012
The first act gets 4 stars but then it just descends into a whole long mess of pointless. Although, EBTG's Missing playing made the suicide-by-antiretroviral scene a bit fabulous.
½ March 10, 2012
Although the thought of characters breaking into song might sound off-putting to some, the musical numbers actually constitute some of the better moments of Beloved. Honore's latest takes a long time to get going and its pretty hard initially to feel anything for the characters. As the time frame swiftly moves forwards though, the film takes on dramatic weight. By film's end it almost feels satisfying, its just a pity it takes so long to get there.
½ January 29, 2012
Honore se lance dans la chronique familiale fleuve a la Desplechin. Inegal, sur la duree le film se montre plus a l'aise dans la gravite existentielle du drame contemporain que dans la comedie d'epoque un peu maladroite dans la reconstitution. Enfin il faut endurer les chansonnettes signà (C)es Beaupain qui peuvent etre vraiment assommantes...
January 24, 2012
Chiara attendra Les Biens Aimà (C)s pour un vrai joli premier rôle
½ October 10, 2011
Ultimately very annoying and pretty interminable.
September 28, 2011
not interested though it looks fine
September 25, 2011
Despite some interesting moments, I was irked by this film which has annoying characters and annoying actors (even Louis Garrel was tiring because he doesn't seem to change roles between his films) and by the fact that Honorà (C) films women in a gruesome light. I totally disagree with Honorà (C)'s vision of sentimental relationships and I don't like his vision on what couples are. However, I can understand his point and I still admire his manner of filming some scenes.
September 15, 2011
Christophe Honorà (C) s'essaie à la fresque musicale ... de grand moment. notamment tout l'histoire de la mère jouà (C) par Ludivine Sagnier puis Catherine Deneuve et beaucoup d'autres moments de grand doute voir d'ennui.
September 8, 2011
Entre legerete et melancolie...
½ September 4, 2011
beaucoup de longueurs dans le dernier Honorà (C), malgrà (C) des beaux acteurs et chansons.
September 4, 2011
Dans la lignà (C)e des "chansons d'amour" dà (C)couvertes pour moi il y a peu à la tà (C)loche, même compositeur, une partie des mêmes acteurs, et le même plaisir!
August 24, 2011
Rares sont les films dont je ressors encore plus à (C)mue que lors de leurs diffusions à Cannes ! Cette fois, ce fut carrà (C)ment en larmes ! Honorà (C) signe un film avec de nombreux dà (C)fauts (problème de rythme, une chanson de trop...) mais a su s'entourer d'un fabuleux casting qui donne vie à des personnages d'une drôlerie et d'une tristesse infinies. Chiara et Catherine sont fabuleuses !