Below - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Below Reviews

½ June 19, 2014
i did not like it at all.
June 6, 2014
Pleasant surprise right here. I always say this, but I don't ever go in to a movie expecting for it to suck. But there are certain movies where I'm almost "forced" to watch them in the sense they've either been on my Netflix queue for too long, or I'm in the mood for something of that ilk. This is one of those movies, I wasn't really intrigued, at all, by it and the concept but I decided to give it a watch. Not that I was blown away by this, but I found it to actually be a pretty good movie outside of some goofy moments near the end and some of the convoluted plot elements like finding out what really happened to Captain Winters. I don't think the film does a great job at properly explaining what was going on with Captain Winters. Eventually you connect the dots, but it's not because they did a good job at exposition. With that said, I still liked this film's atmosphere and most of its storytelling. The claustrophobic nature of being in such a closed-quarters setting certainly helped a lot with the storytelling. It helps when Brice's psyche, and Loomis to a much lesser extent, starts to unravel. He becomes obsessed and paranoid with what happened to Winters, to the point he believes that Winters is haunting the submarine in order to bring it down with him. Brice would rather sink the ship with everybody on board, than to face the consequences of his actions. The film also does a good job at throwing some red herrings in there, it's not necessarily THAT hard to figure out, but the film does make an effort to lead you down a path when it's clearly heading in the other direction. This is a psychological horror film at its core and it definitely works for most of it, builds some good suspense and tension. I was into the film right from the start, something I wasn't really expecting. But props to the screenwriters, including Darren Aronofsky, in managing to tell a compelling story, flaws be damned. I enjoyed this film quite a bit, it's got some corny moments near the end but those aren't really that detrimental to the final quality of the film. If you're a fan of atmospheric, moody horror then this would be right up your alley.
½ May 11, 2014
The movie comes so close to working, but Twohy can't keep the tone consistent. It doesn't help that he spends so much time developing a supernatural threat, only to abandon it in the finale for a weak resolution to the undercooked mystery behind said threat.
½ April 25, 2014
One of the most underrated thrillers. It's a chilling ghost story meets Das Boot. Co-written by Darryn Aronofsky, I can't believe this slipped through my radar for so long (no pun intended). The acting is top-notch with a script that doesn't let up. Considering it's not high budget they certainly came up with some innovative sequences. It's also refreshing to have a strong female character in a submarine movie. Either way, this movie is overdue for a re-discovery. Check it out. It's good horror with an original premise.
March 30, 2014
A good horror story under the sea with a excellent end.
½ March 25, 2014
Well it's definitely the best "haunted submarine" movie I've seen in my life.
½ March 18, 2014
I turned it off halfway, found it boring.
January 4, 2014
TGIF Moviethon with the hub tonight. Finished watching this and wanna rate it 5-star! Great movie if u like to watch Action-Horror-Suspense-Thrilling movie all packed in one and also if u are World War fanatic!
December 26, 2013
I know I'm watching a good thriller when my heart's pounding and things don't turn out as I expect. Why this movie didn't get better reviews I can't imagine. Glad I happened upon it; good flick!!
November 28, 2013
An interesting combination of the Submarine War film genre and a ghost story that plays on the typical themes of paranoia of a small group of people in a confined space. Unfortunately the numerous flaws hold it back from being a good movie but it does enough to entertain.
October 28, 2013
Expensively shot and poorly scripted B movie. The suspense is laughable rather than scary.
½ August 23, 2013
Well, it was creepy at some point but seemed really old like from the early 90's. A submarine is spooky and claustrophobic as it is and a vicious soul makes it worse. But the acting was kind of pretentious too.
July 6, 2013
This cross-genre movie tries to blend war adventure, thriller, and supernatural horror. It works more or less, despite some plot elements being borderline absurd. It's quite entertaining, with great visuals and very convincing acting from mostly unknown cast.
½ June 19, 2013
Predictable in spots, some things I didn't see coming. I'm glad I didn't pay money to see it in a theater, though.
May 14, 2013
Creepy movie, good acting.
May 1, 2013
Very well made. A bit difficult to follow at times.
April 19, 2013
pretty spooky actually
½ April 9, 2013
I Never thought Sunken ships will be this Scary
March 26, 2013
One of the more intelligent haunted ship movies. I really liked the sets and the characters.
½ March 25, 2013
I've always thought this was an underrated genre mashup. Director/Co-writer David Twohy, with the exception of the overblown "The Chronicles of Riddick," has a track record of writing and/or directing some smart, exciting films ("Pitch Black," "The Arrival," "The Fugitive," "A Perfect Getaway," and I'd even include "Terminal Velocity"). This film was also co-written by Darren ("Requiem for a Dream," "Black Swan") Aronofsky and is an interesting mix of WWII submarine films and ghost stories. The film works great simply as a tale of WWII intrigue and suspense, but adding elements of ghost and hauntings brought something new and interesting to a pretty well worn formula. And in terms of telling a ghost story, the film thankfully goes to route of "The Haunting" or "The Innocents" and leaves it open as to whether something supernatural is going on or if characters are simply getting scared and paranoid, imagining ghostly activities. Another reason I think I'm partial to this film is Bruce Greenwood as the ship's commanding officer, who I've always liked and felt should be in a lot more films. Olivia Williams is also good. However, it's not a perfect film and and does have it's flaws, the main one for me being Twohy's decision to do one too many cheap scares instead of relying on the suspense and atmosphere that he'd so nicely built. I'd also say the rest of the cast is merely adequate. It's not a perfect film, but it's a clever supernatural thriller.