Belphégor - Le fantôme du Louvre (Belphegor, Phantom of the Louvre) (Belphecor: Curse of the Mummy) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Belphégor - Le fantôme du Louvre (Belphegor, Phantom of the Louvre) (Belphecor: Curse of the Mummy) Reviews

DrStrangeblog
½ May 29, 2015
A box-office hit in France, at least their version of The Mummy meets Night In The Museum boasts a setting among many of the greatest artworks of the world. Otherwise this is one big fat laughably ridiculous mess! Somehow an Egyptian mummy's spirit infiltrates the electrical system of the Louvre, then later possesses the body and mind of ever beauteous Sophie Marceau. Guards and service personnel are killed nightly by "the phantom" but the museum is not closed for the flimsiest reasons, and no further precautions are taken to stop the mayhem. Two civilians wander at will through dangerous restricted construction areas under the city without anyone even telling them so much as to put on a hardhat. Sophie and Frederic Diefenthal the electrician she meets have a good rapport, but too often she's sent into a zombified stupor under the control of Belphegor. If not for getting a brief flash of her fabulous French fanny, one would feel really cheated.
June 12, 2013
Not scary at all, if that's what they wanted the movie to be.
November 13, 2012
Very trippy french horror/fantasy.
bbcfloridabound
September 21, 2012
Out of all the Mummy movies and Indiana Jones type movies this unknown but excellent film is about one of the best I've seen with a host of not known stars here in the US. Enjoyable from start to finish 4 stars 9-13-12
February 15, 2011
Really interesting story about mummy in Louvre... kinds of historical background...
December 28, 2010
Ghost of a Mummy haunts the Louvre. The CGI ghost is not very impressive at all, and since none of the characters can actually see it, it's pretty pointless. Just the audience are treated to poorly rendered effects. On top of that we have some bizarrely outdated, at times laughable, effects. A ghost on wheels to give the impression of floating. Running down the stairs with constant fade effects. This is the kind of stuff they used in silent movies. Effects aside, the story isn't much better. A phantom mummy haunts the Louvre in order to acquire the artifacts it needs to go into the afterlife. There isn't much going on in terms of character,and by the end it's hard to care what happens. Here is a spirit trapped in the world of the living, but it's a malevolent spirit that kills. Also, it only kills characters we don't know, so it's hard to connect. Simple and not very effective. Luckily, Marceau is beautiful.
December 9, 2010
Aside from the fact that it stars Sophie Marceau this movie has little to recommend it.
½ September 29, 2010
un film con avec de mauvais acteurs( michel serrault est pathétique!), un scénario bidon, une réalisation de merde et des effets spéciaux minables. Incapable de le compléter...
August 24, 2010
it's not a horror movie but a funny one. >_<
July 25, 2010
Listen to the music ! It's good !
½ July 18, 2010
oui il y a les effets spéciaux mais sinon c'est très nul.
½ March 31, 2010
An unpretentious film made to draw a few laughs, and to munch popcorn over. Storyline centers around Egyptian mythology, exotic enough to hold your attention for the entire duration, but nothing too fascinating. With a competent cast. Sophie Marceau looks good from every angle!
September 12, 2009
Belphegor is a novel which was shot on French TV in the 60', the series was very sucessful and many French still remember its tragic final scene.
Belphegor was initially supposed to be shot by Italian master of horror make-up Sergio Stivaletti, who worked with other master Dario Argento.
While he was directing Maschera di cera, he was looking for people to start this project. He told it to a certain Zulawski, who was actually Sophie Marceau's boyfriend.
During a year he had no anserw, his producers couldn't get the rights and then he heard French atress Sophie Marceau was to star in an adaptation of series Belphegor...

Then we all know what came next...
Most of French people in cinema are unable to understand horror or fantastic and think it's something shameful to watch which leads to murder other people and go insane... Except some who work on great French movies like A L'Interieur, Haute Tension, Martyrs, Mutants, Malefique, and some others, French directors dislike or do not consider seriously fantastic and horror movies.
French do not understand and do not respect horror and fantastic as a noble art in cinema.
½ April 2, 2009
I love Sophie Marceau, remember her from my childhood growing up in Germany.She was great as the Bond Girl...but this Movie was almost a complete disaster. Bad story, bad CGI, bad acting, boring execution and a total waste of my time. Glad i got this as a free rental, I would be even more mad if I paid for it.
½ February 2, 2009
fake fx
fake story
fake film
January 22, 2009
Not very convincing: One of those not very well thought-out movies which end up losing themselves somewhere between a sophisticated mystery thriller and mere hullabaloo. It was a promising cast and I was definitely expecting something special, but it was just the lame, second-rate story which didn't allow for more. Skip it.
NaWia
January 18, 2009
First of all If you thought this is the french The Mummy and if you're hoping for another "Vidocq"...well look elsewhere and I must admit Vidocq had a better plot. Half of the Movie was filmed in the Louvre Museum in Paris. It is amazing that I watched it to End because of the fact I only enjoyed the Scenes they Filmed in and out of the Louvre.
½ November 11, 2008
The only reason why I am not totally writing off this film is for my respect of Sophie Marceau's talent and beauty. Otherwise this film was a complete disaster. I was in the understanding that the French were very artistic and had much talent when it comes to cinema. A few examples would be Irreversible and Le Pacte de Loupes (Brotherhood of the Wolf). But this was just not a good film. The writing was horrible especially the dialogue. The acting was very close to it, even Sophie Marceau could not do anything with this. The direction and plot of the film skewed in so many ways there is not one thing I could pinpoint from this film that I can say I liked. At best, I could say it tried to copy so subpar sci-fi B-movie. Really not worth the time.
½ August 25, 2008
Une honte!! Comme as-t-on pu laisser faire ca apres la merveilleuse serie de 4 episodes en noir & blanc??
August 24, 2008
Disappointed, Sophie Marceau cant help in this movie too!! Only one point is good as so many scene in Museum Louvre!!