Ben Hur - An Epic Tale of Courage and Faith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ben Hur - An Epic Tale of Courage and Faith Reviews

February 2, 2011
A milestone of epics movie ,
½ February 2, 2011
Savor the 7.25:1 aspect ratio!
½ February 2, 2011
Ok, I'm not endorsing the animated version.. they didn't have the original version on here, but that is the one to see!! My goodness! It's awesome! It shows the story of Christ in a new way and has some really awesome action bits as well! =D
½ February 2, 2011
A Classic. One of the original epic films. Will always have its place in the history of cinema.
½ February 2, 2011
This movie is truely worthy of all the Oscars it won.
½ February 2, 2011
Very well acted and a good insight into the biblical aspects of living back then.Child reccommended
½ February 2, 2011
What can I say, love Charlton Heston and this epic movies.
½ February 2, 2011
The film takes place in the 1st century. This is the story of a rich Jewish prince Judah Ben-Hur and Merchant in Jerusalem. The govenor and an old friend and commanding officer of the Roman Legions, Messala come to town. At first they are very glad to see each other but soon find their political views are not the same causing a distance between them. During a parade a brick falls from the roof of Ben-Hur's house but misses the governor. Messela knows that Ben-Hur did not do this but sends him to the galleys and puts Judah's mother and sister in jail. Judah swears he will return and get revenge. This film won 11 Oscars incluiding 17 other wins and another 5 nominations
½ February 2, 2011
The best animated movie...

He lost his wealth,tortured,even close to death,still he learned to forgive...

In our real world we can learn from this movie as well,though life is tough,unfair world...we must not give up in life.Because God is alive,in control,HE will give us strength,hope,love to forgive others.
½ February 2, 2011
There is nothing bad about this movie. Every line is delivered flawlessly and every scene is shot perfectly. It's truly inspiring.
½ February 2, 2011
A movie I was forced to watch as a kid, but learnt to really love.
½ February 2, 2011
My great great uncle wrote either the screen play or the script for this movie, and my great uncles and grandpa were in a couple of scenes.
½ February 2, 2011
I really love this movie
The one with real people in it
½ February 2, 2011
One of the best epic movie of all time. I love the chariot race which was shot with best of technologies available at that time.
½ February 2, 2011
Igjen: Dei lagar ikkje storfilmar slik dei gjorde foer lengre. Synd eigentleg. Denne er for dei som tykkje det var betre daa actionscenene ikkje var data-animerte, heltene ikkje var pinglete systete smaa metroseksuelle homoar, og jentene ikkje var billige, ...(read more)utbrukte ihjelopererte toeyter.
The one with real people in it
½ February 2, 2011
I lilke the one with Charlton heston not the animated one.
½ February 2, 2011
A decent film with some really good set pieces, but the stiff acting and downright boring initial 45 minutes make it a difficult watch at times. The film also hasn't aged all that well, though the action scenes, particularly the famous chariot race at the end, are some of the best ever put to screen, even in this day and age.

It's a shame that so much of the film feels like something out of a stage play; most scenes aren't framed all that well, with the camera often reflecting where the audience would be were this being staged before them in an auditorium. The action scenes, on the other hand, are really well crafted, so at least it has that going for it.

I also didn't much care for the religious propaganda throughout the film. Yes, okay, Jesus, yeah, whatever. This isn't Sunday school, okay? I want a story, not a message, particularly one as hamfisted and insulting as this was. I don't go to films to be brainwashed. That's what religion is for.

Charlton Heston is also kind of odd in this. He looks the part of the hero, but man is he stiff. A cardboard cutout could have done just as good a job, if not better. Same goes for most of the other actors, with the exception of the actor who plays the main villain; he was good.

Overall, eh. It has its moments. I loved the "rowing" scene, and the whole crazy naval battle, and, of course, the chariot race at the end. Unfortunately, the film only takes off after Heston's character is imprisoned. Everything before that just drags, and could easily have been cut from the final version.

I can't stress the importance of cutting enough; so many films suffer from being too long, even "classics" such as this. I'm under the belief that a film is better off being too short than too long. There's nothing wrong with a long movie, but its length has to fit with the story and, most importantly, must remain interesting to the audience. Most long movies just can't do it, and shouldn't feel obligated to for whatever reason.

That goes for film reviews as well. Worth a watch, but definitely overrated.
Long movie, but one of Charlton Heston's best