Benda Bilili! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Benda Bilili! Reviews

February 4, 2014
If you should ever feel unhappy with your lot, try taking a look at these guys. This is courage in adversity, the power of solidarity. I'm almost ashamed to be living in Europe: certainly very aware that I shouldn't want to be living in Kinshasa. It's cold at night when you're sleeping on cardboard, with no cover. It's not about the hardship though, it's about hard work, friendship and achievement. And the power of music. And bicycles!
November 17, 2013
Best music documentary since 'Searching For Sugarman'. It's a story of homeless congolese Ricky and his friends who overcome their roots and surroundings to become world music phenomenon. Not only they live in politically conflicted nation, they are also disabled and wheeled chaired. But that didn't stop Ricky and his bandmates to keep making amazing music, and french reporters who discovered them spent five years to finally release their album worldwide. The band's name 'Banda Bilili' means 'look beyond appearances' in the tribe's language, and what an appropriate name for a band who defies all the odds despite what people thought of them and their future. Enjoy the movie and most of it all, their music is twice as nice!
November 3, 2013
A joyous music documentary says a lot about human endeavour as well as being talented musicians they encompass everything that it is dignity, respect and workmanship. Great music as well.
November 1, 2012
A man with nothing more than an empty tin and a piece of wire lifts himself and his family out of abject poverty. Infectious sprit, infectious beat.
October 20, 2012
Fantastic documentary and music video for enthusiasts of Congolese music.
½ June 9, 2012
A beautiful moving and touching documentary that really hit home (especially after watching the sickening Jubilee love in) this made me feel almost dirty that my country had decided to spend 1.2 billion pounds on a party for unelected multi-millionaires when these street kids dreamed of just having a floor to sleep on instead of cardboard. It's a humbling, non-exploitative roller coaster ride of a film and I defy anyone watching (and I urge you all to do so) to not buy the album afterwards - Sublime
½ June 6, 2012
Musicians inspiring the people of a poor country in Africa. Whilst it it is a good snapshot of life in the DR of Congo, there is little provocative about the film-making.
½ April 3, 2012
This was a really cool documentary about some musicians in Africa that are mostly disabled and extremely poor, but are some bad motherfuckers with a musical instrument in their hands. An awesome peek at a facet of life you won't see anywhere else. Watch it.
½ April 1, 2012
One of the most inspiring music documentaries I've seen, this one's for the musicians who've been told they'll never make it.
½ February 22, 2012
Uplifting and entirely engaging
January 21, 2012
Superlative and incredibly moving music doc. Review soon.
½ January 19, 2012
Amazing. Everyone should see it. very heart warming.
½ October 14, 2011
This thoroughly unusual, completely un-Hollywood movie is one of the most emotionally powerful films I've ever seen and a moving tribute to the power of music and the human spirit. Tired of bad news, rotten politicians, greed, and over-the-top action flicks? "Benda Bilili" is the perfect antidote. Watch it, cry, and leave with a fuller heart.
October 5, 2011
Interessant et souvent sympathique (la decouverte du jeune Roger est saisissante), le film se veut malheureusement une ressucee de Buena Vista Social Club a la sauce congolaise.
Malheureusement, aussi attachant que sont les protagonistes, ils sont loin d'avoir la science musicale et la sagesse des papis cubains du film de Wenders.
Le moment le plus amusant se trouve peut etre dans les bonus du DVD, a savoir la venue du groupe au festival de Cannes pour la presentation du film, le choc de deux mondes.
½ October 3, 2011
Set during a dark time, ''Benda Bilili'' manages to be one of the most uplifting films of 2011. Even though this documentary is set during a very dark time in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the filmmakers bring light to the film by showing us the achievements of the group of musicians the filmmakers follow. It is a fascinating journey that shows us just how much can be achieved with so little. One of 2011's best so far.
½ October 2, 2011
Typical rock and roll documentary about a band that is anything but typical.
September 29, 2011
What a record deal (and one documentary movie) can do?
July 26, 2011
Feels like a precuser for something more, an introduction, or a extended advert for the cd album.

The film introduces you to a homeless collective, who with the star kid with the tin can and a string, taking the band into super stardom before embarking on there european tour. Its follows on there album recording that is set to change there life, and thats more or less it. For me it lacked a bit of depth.
July 21, 2011