Beneath Still Waters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beneath Still Waters Reviews

October 9, 2013
A great dose of Lovecraftian horror and gory makeup, albeit by way of Limburger-quality acting and digital effects. Still, enjoyable for what it is.
September 30, 2013
A campy but somewhat fun little horror film, Beneath Still Waters has a somewhat original premise that it unfortunately can't deliver on in a clever or scary fashion. Still, it might provide an entertaining evening for fans of B-level horror cinema.
December 2, 2012
While somewhat original, the plot did tend to be a tad predictable. Luckily, as is Yuznaz's style, there was plenty of great deaths and lots of gore to go round.
Beneath Still Waters is classic Yuzna and that my friends, is a good thing.
Unfortunately, the film still rings true of most direct-to-video low budget horror flicks and as such, doesn't quite delivery the punch you might like.
If you're looking for slick looking horror, look elsewhere. Beneath still Waters is old school and it looks the part.
Worth checking out compared to most flicks you'll find on VOD or rental shelves.
May 20, 2012
"Fear is rising."

I was intrigue when I saw this on sale. Brian Yuzna was the sire of this film and he's the maker of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Return of the Living Dead and etc. The film was released in 2005 but you will have a feel that it was done late 80's. The effects are reminiscent of 80's Horror Film. They didn't rely on SFX but with camerawork and actual synthetic effects. It was great. The acting was, ahm, errr, awful. The casts did not bring justice for the characters they're playing. The story, very confusing. It was self-explanatory but a lot of padding info mashed into one theatrical run, and you'll be wondering, "oh so, it's 40th anniversary and they're doin' a shindig." Lake of the Dead is just another lame horror movie to ever hit my DVD player. 1 out of 5 Stars! :)
May 13, 2012
very cheesy with poor acting and effects
February 22, 2012
very cheesy with poor acting and effects
½ February 1, 2012
I just couldn't watch this movie. Sure I bet the book was good. But the acting in this was horrible and it actually put me to sleep.
January 17, 2012
This movie has some of the worst special effects combined with the worst acting I've ever seen. I can live with that if there's at least some kind of a "so bad it's hilarious" factor, but there really isn't any of that here. It's just... bad. Skip it.
½ December 5, 2011

Average horror flick and not Yuzna's best.
November 21, 2011
Monday, November 21, 2011

(2005) Beneath Still Waters

Straight-to-rental flick starts out when two young boys discover a devil worshipping cult existing on an 'no trespassing' underwater section of a city somewhere in Spain leaving one to escape. Jump to many years later with a mother reporting on assignment from London, almost on the exact location and with her brought her daughter with her who is somehow the center of this cult that happened at the beginning and the rest of the film dwells on this concept with more revelations to come.

Director Brian Yuzna(The Re- Animator, The Beyond) attempts at Lucio Fulci in terms of dubbing and stye and tone which consists of an intersting idea but as a result quite amaterish and predictable, leaving many plotholes as film progresses leaving questions unanswered!

2 out of 4
October 28, 2011
Brian Yuzna combines the films "Dagon" and "Warlock" to create a combination of the films "Dagon" and "Warlock." It's not bad, even if it is about as derivative as they come. The acting ranges from passable to entertainingly cheezy as do the special effects. There's some good gore here and plenty of references to the occult to keep those with such interests entertained. Veering somewhat away from Lovecraftiana, Yuzna this time uses a good deal of Aleister Crowley's mystical fiction as a point of departure and then flies away liberally with it. It's all quite predictable but it does convey the sense of depraved glee that typifies much of Yuzna's work, particularly when it comes to cannibalism and a party gone out of bounds in some of the most over-the-top ways you're likely to see in a film that squeaked in with an R rating. Will it scare you? Probably not. Will it shock you? Well, maybe a little. Will it keep you watching? Most likely. It is, at least, internally consistent enough and with a relatively simple plot that won't leave you guessing too much. Brainless horror entertainment that might just keep you from swimming in reservoirs created to flood old Spanish towns taken over by black magicians... and hey, is that really such a bad idea? If you liked "Dagon" and "Warlock," you'll like "Beneath Still Waters," too. Just don't expect too much from it.
½ October 15, 2011
A strange attempt at using multiple Lovecraft stories to craft an epic. Falls flat in most respects, but a fantastic villain chews the scenery and keeps things interesting.
June 9, 2011
Very cheesy with poor acting and effects, but I did like the story.
June 1, 2011
Okay film. A fun drunken mystery science theater film.
½ April 15, 2011
Kind of different. Nothing great.
½ February 2, 2011
beneath still waters isn't the worst straight to dvd movie ever made. there is a lot of blood and gore which is always fun, but the story line is really messy and the effects are god awful. its a good movie to watch at 2 or 3 in the morning if you're in the mood for something cheesy, bloody, and unintentionally funny. if there is one good thing to say about this film is that the bad guy is truly creepy, he plays a good, corny, villain.
½ January 25, 2011
My head hurts. Ridiculously done.
June 17, 2010
Now that was a pretty screwed up movie thanks to being way too messy with the storyline and having laughable effects. It started out poorly and ended that way also, and there was one very odd 'sexual' scene that was so out of place with the rest of the film that made me wonder what these guys were on when coming up with the idea for this film. It had a few shining moments but they didn't last. Overall its very bad and well worth avoiding unless you can somehow get some enjoyment out of it.
½ June 13, 2010
As I sit here, still laughing a bit over just how bad this film was, I find it difficult to settle on a star rating. On the one hand, you've got a cast of one-dimensional, disposable characters, and an absurdly muddled plot that makes for a film so terrible that you can't help but laugh at it. But on the other hand, there are stretches of running time where the jokes run a bit dry, and things tend to drag on. The MST3K fan in me wants to overlook the slow parts, and rate this based on its considerable schlock value, but at the same time another part of me feels weird giving this anything more than a 3/5.

"Beneath Still Waters" is one of those films that's easier to just sit down and make fun of, rather than talk about. I know that if I tried giving a synopsis of this thing, and the reasons I found it so entertaining, without showing the entertaining bits, I'd probably fail. It would be like trying to relay a play-by-play of a board game to someone who's never played it; no matter how fun the game may be, no one's going to see what the fuss is about if they can't at least see it in action.

With that said, I realize this hasn't been the most helpful of reviews. So I'll try to at least end on a meaningful note: If you like shitty movies, then chances are you'll get at least some enjoyment out of "Beneath Still Waters." Potentially quite a bit of enjoyment. But if you prefer your movies to have things like a coherent plot, decent acting, or hell, even a solidly-grounded location (you could almost make a drinking game where you take a shot each time a character with a new accent shows up...except you'd probably not only be dead, but embalmed and preserved for future generations by the end of it all), then steer clear of this one.
½ June 11, 2010
I love low-budget horror films and even I couldn't watch this one.