Reviews

• Feb 15, 2019

Good adaptation, but very uneven in some areas. "The Bengali Night" was intriguing but could have realized much more of its potential with better direction to guide it.

• Jun 30, 2010

Exotic. Hugh was charming, however, I didn't like the ending. Overall, it's an interesting film but it could have been better.

• Feb 27, 2010

It was nice! I like Shabana Azmi too much but she didn't have the central role. I've heard the novel is much better than the movie!

• Apr 14, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bengali_Night Filmed in 1988, this is Hugh Grant's first starring role. It takes place in Calcutta, India, in the 1930's, with a visiting engineer meeting a young Indian girl. The resulting romance was written about years later from both sides, with somewhat conflicting views of what actually transpired. The movie also stars John Hurt and Shabana Azmi.

• Apr 14, 2008

A good adaptation of the autobiographic novel by Mircea Eliade, which deals with misunderstandings between different cultures and how this affects relationships, especially romance. This film deserves to be better known. Hugh Grant was not yet famous and set in his favorite character, he does real acting here.

• Jan 30, 2008

Very poorly directed movie. Editing is non-existent, hard to get excited about this movie.