Benjamin Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Benjamin Smoke Reviews

½ August 23, 2014
I heard this film was good and was waiting awhile to see it. It really wasn't the typical autobio pic I thought it would be and I had very high hopes that were not met. Some amazing music on here but as for a documentary it's all over the place. The film is rather short for its claim of over a decade of footage. Very surface view of this mans interesting life and philosophies on the world. The movie rambles on like Benjamin's accounts/theories. However some great shots of the small town and some beautiful music clips. His band definitely had a unique and guttural style.
May 26, 2011
How have I not heard of this guy before?
October 13, 2010
i adore him and his honesty, his husky voice, his dresses and his yellow nail-polish. such a lovely character. i enjoyed every single minute of this film. a total joy to watch.
June 18, 2010
Only just started watching this, but I'm gonna be audacious and rate it five stars based on the first five minutes. Looks fascinating and the music is like a more mournful, haunted Tom Waits.
October 5, 2008
Robert Dickerson, aka Benjamin Smoke, was an HIV positive indie-rock front man for the band Smoke, based in Atlanta. I saw this documentary at its premiere at the Chicago Underground Film Festival and was blown away, by the music, by Dickerson's gentle flamboyance and indomitability, by the filmmakers' experimental spirit. A must-see.
May 31, 2008
A nostalgia bomb for anybody who lived down in Atlanta proper during the late 80s & 90s, made all the more wistful by the mournful music and lingering look back at a time and a place and a person all long gone.
November 23, 2007
Jem Cohen definitely has a way of conveying the face behind the sound, while not diminishing the effect of the artist's music...
November 6, 2007
the usual excellent work from jem cohen.
½ October 23, 2007
Definitely add this one to the Netflix queue. Sweet movie about a human being with a unique voice, literally and otherwise. Great moments involving Patti Smith, though I won't say too much for fear of spoiling it. After watching this film, Benjamin Smoke seems far too uncelebrated as a cult icon.
shannylee38
September 29, 2007
Considering that Benjamin Smoke is quite a character, you will appreciate his personality as well this indie documentary on the final days of his life. Maybe you'll also enjoy his music which is reflecting his dark and bright moments of his life.
July 12, 2007
Directed by the same guy who did Fugazi's Instrument movie. I really would have rathered put Instrument on this list but it wasn't available. So I recommend this film for anyone who enjoys doc's on tranvestite cabaret poet/singers who have AIDS.
June 21, 2007
The first half is amazing. Beautiful, tragic, as surreal as a documentary can get. A portrait of a man who made heartbreaking music as well as the environment in which he thrived (and died). But by the end, the point has been made and the sickness has been paraded in front of you for long enough. I read somewhere that if this were trimmed down to a short it would have been an award-winner, and sadly I think I have to agree.
June 6, 2007
one of the greatest documentaries i have ever seen...its seriously not given enough cred.
½ December 10, 2006
Waste of TIME!! Very Weak movie, DO NOT WATCH, if you do end up watching it, side effects may include: Suicide, murder ramapages, road ramapage, any kinds of ways of harming yourself, and many others...