Beowulf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beowulf Reviews

½ December 31, 2015
This is not a film that has aged well at all. The movie was done entirely in computer animation. CGI is fine and can add a lot to films that need it, but it requires that the film take on a style of its own. Here the process seeks to imitate real life, and for what reason I'm not entirely sure. In the right light, it almost works and is almost believeable, but these scenes are few and far between, instead you get scenes that look like they came out of Playstation 2 cutscene.

I'm not usually hard on cinematography or animation style but this movie looks downright bad to a point where it has a debilitating effect on the rest of the movie. The story is nothing really worth writing home about, it's not great but it's not terrible either. There's a nice climatic battle, that somewhat redeems the terrible animation but it's too little too late.
December 20, 2015
pure entertainment. the best movie of 2007.
½ December 12, 2015
A beautifully animated and thrilling adventure that brings the ancient tale to life with ferocity and intelligence.
November 21, 2015
Fine entertainment for those who love blood and guts.
November 11, 2015
Unfortunately, the CG characters were not quite realistic enough, and looked like zombies. I spent too much time noticing how creepy they all looked. But even if they characters were human, the movie was too predictable and uninteresting.
½ October 13, 2015
Even though the stunning motion capture animation gladly bring visualization to the Old English poem, the only faithfulness this adaptation manage to do is the spirit and bringing in few of the brought-up interpretations on the writing to the film. It's one of those adaptations from literature that went to the filmic approach than staying to the text, especially ignoring most of the poem's theme and nature as the portrayal is flawed. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ October 12, 2015
This is one of those movies I could watch over and over and over again.
August 24, 2015
While the animation is undeniably excellent, it still contains that uncomfortable quality that renders the human figures awkward and plastic-looking, and the overuse of showy, swooping aerial shots coupled with a dull script do little to compensate for these visual shortcomings.
½ August 21, 2015
Shockingly boring film. Didn't realise the film was cartoon like to start with. Ray winstones voice does not fit in with the film at all. The plot is highly confusing. The start of the film is boring. There doesn't seem to actually be any plot, it's just not flowing or really has any sense of direction.
August 18, 2015
Highly realistic visuals but a somewhat uninteresting plot.
½ August 11, 2015
Story was dull, not a single character interested me and the animation was unconvincing so the fight scenes, the only possible redeeming quality had zero impact on me as their outcome meant nothing to me. Plus the choice Beowulf makes after the first act and everything that comes after it makes no sense at all to me. Not to mention Angelina Jolie character is one step up from a cameo and not the villain at all. Not as terrible a film as I thought it might be but certainly nothing to remember about it at all.
July 26, 2015
I enjoyed this movie. It was better than I expected. The animation looks realistic and sharp. The story, which is the meat of the film, is compelling and deeper than just a typical action/adventure movie.
½ July 21, 2015
Beowulf is a mixed bag, for every good thing theres a bland one. The voice acting and soundtrack are amazing, but the visuals on the character models look and feel stiff and give off little emition. The "Epic" story of Beowulf is told as mostly a lie, but has that what goes around comes back around lesson to it that I think people appreciate to look past the movies flaws. Maybe in the right hands we can see the Epic story of the king of the monster slayers as told to us in the poems, but not in this adaption.
June 20, 2015
The animation serves to tell the legend of Beowulf.
June 15, 2015
Dazzling special affects brings this movie full circle
June 10, 2015
It has questionable animation, but it's a great adaptation to the book with some really cool action sequences. (A-)
June 3, 2015
Oh boy. Do yourself a favor and go get the Rifftrax version. Otherwise, this is a creepily computer animated train wreck. Moderately fun to watch at times. But seriously... Get the Rifftrax.
May 16, 2015
This was a pretty damn good movie filled with action, as well as stunning animation. The only reason I'm not giving this a full five stars is that this film ripped off many cinematic elements of 300.
½ April 15, 2015
Very interesting screenplay, but some real problems with casting and an absolutely unwatchable, dive into the uncanny valley.
½ April 8, 2015
Although the decision to fully animate the characters helps them blend in with the digital environment it doesn't do the movie great favours in its aging process. Put that and some anatomical silliness aside however and you will find Beowulf to be an expressively poetic thrill ride.