Bernie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bernie Reviews

½ January 12, 2015
Bernie est parfois très drôle, avec des séquences franchement très bien troussées et des moments de bravoure impressionnant. Mais Bernie est souvent très permissifs avec les trous d'air d'un scénario qui n'est que l'ombre de ce qu'il devrait être, sans doute dû à un terrible manque de rigueur de la part d'Albert Dupontel, qui laisse certaines séquences s'éterniser sans jamais être importantes ou tout juste intéressantes. C'est très dommage car Dupontel est justement excellent en psychopathe presque attachant, Roland Blanche est hilarant et Nicolas Marié toujours un plaisir à voir jouer.
½ December 5, 2012
"I'm Bernie Christmas and I like hyenas. Because nobody ever talks about them, when hyenas are very important. Being a friend of a hyena is better than being a friend of real friends. Hyenas protect you. Some danger comes up? You go: "I'm with a hyena!" And then, it's like...Actually, my real name isn't Bernie Christmas.Bernie's the name of the person that found me. Christmas is the season in which he did."
½ October 16, 2012
Brilliant film. Dupontel pictures the first movie of a "crazy childish" psychopath(not dark, super smart, perverted or socially awkward). Each sequence is very well thought, the violence comes naturally no questions asked and the main character just flows in a childish way through the story. A lot of gems, a compilation of genuine ideas that have been included with a lot of precision. A must see for sure.
½ October 4, 2011
Black humor, thought-triggering sometimes ... a good film which stands out! Worth it! Plus, great performances by the entire cast!!!
September 4, 2011
crazy scenario and actors. cult in france
July 30, 2011
Excellent premier film d'Albert Dupontel qui tourne une histoire bien trash et bien dejantee autour de son personnage de ses sketchs. Audacieux.
January 11, 2011
dark comedy, with violence in the foreground.
½ November 28, 2010
Probably one of Dupontel's best movie, with "les convoyeurs".
It's totally nuts, I dunno what a subtitled or dubbed version in english would be like, but if you do speak french, just get this movie.
An abandonned child grows up in an orphanage, and becomes a complete nutcase who goes on a journey to find his parents... and Albert Dupontel (love him, can't help it ^^) plays the part perfectly, with Claude Perron giving a beautiful performance as the drug addicted slag.
Just get it, take the broomstick out of your *** for 90 minutes, and enjoy the ride :)
June 24, 2010
Bizarre , bizarre , ce film . Le personnage de Bernie , est ridicule ,et je n'ai pas aimé ce personnage . Le scénario est malin , mais , à mon goût , pas assez arrangé . On voit qu'il cherche son identité dans tout le film , avant une partie totalement hors sujet . Ca reste relativement correct , mais ce film ne me séduit pas . L'atmosphère est grise , un peu louche , mais on ne ressent pas ce sentiment de peur , d'insécurité dans ce film. De plus , les personnages , dont Bernie , sont totalement antipathiques et rend le film beaucoup trop atroce . Du gore , du sang , c'est assez intéressent , mais ça reste bien trop amorcé que l'histoire ne se ressent plus .
½ May 1, 2010
Un film de psychopathe totalement décomplexé, et donc rigoureusement jouissif ! La vache, j'aurais jamais pensé que le sordide puisse être aussi bon oO
½ April 23, 2010
Bernie leaves the orphanage at the advanced age of 30 and throws himself in a world he knows nothing of on a quest to reunite with his parents. Thanks to the delusiveness of this so original character, the plot will bring you an unexpected excitement and even if he was undeniably discovered abandoned in garbage his imagination will write the 'real' story: learning his real last name is Willis is sufficient for him to declare he was abducted from his billionaire American parents (leaving peacefully in the ghetto) by dangerous gangsters. They still hold them hostage, he makes it his mission: he must save them!

The most dangerous threat you would face on this planet is Bernie believing that you had something to do with it, and if you meet him, he eventually will convince himself it's the case. He will accuse anything and anyone, and he destroys all that he considers to be one of 'the others'. We also learn from him that a neurotic paranoid maniac who applies a systematic pre-defensive strike is even more dangerous when he's driven by a self-legitimate quest. The violence he endured growing up in the orphanage only added aggressiveness to his already disturbed mind making him destruction incarnated, but yet, this troubled man shows absolutely no mean intentions.

He has the conscience of an innocent and joyful child when he's reunited with his parents. Unfortunately and in order to be, a lot of sacrifices must be made... by absolutely everybody.
He's actually quite a nice guy, but he eventually comes up with some extreme methods. Thus, he will apologise before and after beating you up with his shovel and might just eat your pet to make you talk, but he'll feel bad for you and will replace it with an even better one.

(INITIATING SPOILER The most memorable scene would be when he finally discovers where his mother is 'being held hostage' (she is actually remarried): with the help of his even more neurotic father, they will storm the family's residence to 'rescue' her from these inhuman gangsters. SPOILER COMPLETE)

Albert Dupontel who writes and directs also offers an impressive performance that gives life to one of the most original and complex madman ever seen on screen, and Bernie dealing with the situation can become surprisingly laughable. He almost made it a Film Noir, but with a witty comedy material that makes of Bernie the undisputed king of dark humour.

If you are able to consider that such content can be turned into a comedy, well you're one of the lucky Bernie-compatible who can't afford to miss an original, unbelievable, must-see, comedy. Some will get bored and turn it off, some will be shocked, but others will experience authentic honest laughs.

French with subtitles... 16+ Contains strong adult material...18 Strongly advised
January 16, 2010
Engaging black 'comedy' about a psychotic Forrest Gump-like orphan who goes on a rampage to find his parents, although the funny moments are few and far in between the depictions of dysfunctional family life, drugs, sex and shocking violence; this film has some really great, original camera work and an awesome soundtrack (including some 'Noir desir')
January 5, 2010
Very black humour at times, utter insanity at others, and a very interesting blend of comedy and horror film in the inimitable Dupontel's way. Absurdity feels so good once in awhile...
November 27, 2009
Une sacré satire social sur fond de comédie enragé !! Jubilatoire !
November 25, 2009
des répliques cultes... a voir pour sur. j'avais complètement oublie ce film mais un brillant Dupontel trash et insensé!
½ November 24, 2009
merci au videodrome d'avoir eu accès à ce film! C'est trash à fond et hilarant. Vous aurez jamais vu un film ac autant de violence gratuite ;P
October 14, 2009
I accidentally watched this on one of our independent film channels one night not long ago. I think I was drunk or something but I could have sworn I saw a dude eat a canary. Then I looked on this movies profile page and saw the photo of a guy eating what looks like a canary. Either way, if THAT, is what you have going for you, your producer is going to lose his shirt financially.
arashxak
½ September 28, 2009
April 26, 2009
Sans aucun doute le meilleur film d' Albert Dupontel, le must du must.