Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg Of The King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg Of The King Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Great depiction using a combination of CG and 2D animation. Intriguing story and characters.
May 29, 2016
I'm a big sucker for Japanese anime and this insane gore soaked war based nonstop action thrill ride was another lucky find for me on Netflix and a strong recommendation for anime fanatics and action/adventure/war movie fanatics too
½ September 22, 2015
It was real quit until the screaming started.

Guts is a loner mercenary for hire that is unmatched on the battle field; however, he is arrested and captured by the royal king's guard led by a man named Griffith who will likely be the king himself one day. Guts joins Griffith's legion as it travels the countryside ridding it of various demons and evils.

"He's strong. Unbelievably strong."

Toshiyuki Kubooka, director of Batman: Gotham Knight, and Berserk II & III, delivers Bersek The Golden Age of Arc - The Egg of the King. The storyline for this picture is excellent, well paced, action packed, and contains wonderful characters and animation. I thought the quality of the animation and violence was excellent.

"What happens if I win?"
"Whatever you want from my sword to my ass."

I came across this on Netflix and randomly added it to the queue. I am very glad I did because I loved it. I thought this was very well done and presented. I thoroughly enjoyed this gem and recommend it to hardcore and casual anime fans.

"There's no way a monster like this can exist."

Grade: A
August 9, 2015
Awesome battle animation, specially the large scale ones, loved the medieval theme with all the horses, castles and swords. Among the best CGI I have seen in animation. Been a fan of the manga series so had to watch the movie trilogy, be warned it may be strictly for fans as it's only part of story and not the whole story line, this being left in the middle is the only sad part.
½ July 20, 2015
While this movie is just a recap of the first 10 episodes of the series, that isn't a bad thing :)
April 3, 2015
Unlike the anime and manga, the OVA forgoes the Black Swordsman arc and covers Guts' childhood in a brief flashback. Good animation, classic story.

"This hugely entertaining film is a must for fans of hard-hitting, action-packed anime." - Stephen Lambrechts, Neon Maniacs
October 19, 2014
Nicely condenses the first portion of the original anime. The animation mixes well with the CG effects to give a unique appearance. Berserk always has, and is still a very dark tale, filled with violence, definitely not for younger viewers.
June 23, 2014
Beautiful animation, epic in its lines and dynamism. Good for taking the attention away from the fact that the plot and story development is pretty average when it comes to manga/anime tropes and narrative.
Fun to watch, but I'm inclined to say everything but the animation is overhyped.
May 16, 2014
Very good first attempt at trying to adapt the whole manga, yes there are indeed some things left out and it does seem to be on a very fast pace but that doesn't really seem like a bad thing or that bad enough to be a negative against it. The movies are the movies and the manga and the anime are their respective things too. Judging it on it's own it was a very well done movie and the animation style didn't really annoy me at all, after awhile it became very natural and I never thought about it again. A complaint I do have is that if you aren't already aware of the story of Berserk the flashback sequences aren't going to make the most sense. The fact that they got pretty much all the original voice cast back is also something I like very much and it is still quite amazing that they managed to do that. I just wish it was longer! I couldn't really think about reviewing it while I was watching it, it just felt like I was re-visiting and old friend and just enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to watching the other two and experiencing one of my favorite series in a new-ish light.
May 10, 2014
It's an animated Game Of Thrones.
May 15, 2013
watched this on Neon Alley. This was entertaining and interesting. I can not wait for the 2nd one.
½ April 3, 2013
This movie didn't gone far from the series or has made anything new to look forward to. It would be more awesome if they took some from the manga storyline. Nonetheless, with CG and all, it was amazing to see those brutal fights of Gutz come to life. A well-deserved adrenaline rush for any action junkie.
March 14, 2013
A failure considering the original source, which is one of the best manga -no, comics- ever created despite its being uneven. The film fails on many levels to capture the wonderful rhythm and flow of the manga and the innovative panels are replicated without any creativity in the transition to the filmic medium. The emphasis on dramatic events seems also less succesful here and full of cliches taken of generic shounen/seinen anime. I found the music to be quite inappropriate too.
½ February 18, 2013
A decent movie, but getting "decent" from one of the greatest work of literature ever written means it was done horribly.

Best main theme ever.
January 25, 2013
Animation is weird but the action is gruesome and the story is still fantastic so bear with it.
½ January 24, 2013
I knew that this movie is going to only disappoint me when Guts asks Griffith "Does that mean you want me that way?". Yes. This movie has implications towards homosexuality. Not even the absence of Griffith's naked butt can wipe that away. The apple has really fallen far from its tree. Actually, it has fallen so far that from its rotten core a new appletree has grown. A little wonky, short and bearing only few fruits that aren't even that good, only mediocre.

The character's animation is a freaking disgrace. The original series' strongpoints, characters' outlooks and their expressions, are both missing from the film. Let's take an example. In the original series, when Griffith smiles for Julius after getting slapped by the latter one is a very sinister and subtle scene. It is a moment when the character portrays humility on the outside, still looking more frightening and unpredictable than ever before. It tells the audience that Griffith is not threatened by this man because he has always been more superior than him - he was destined to be a king. And he will destroy any obstacle there may be lying in front of the throne. In the movie this very important scene is played like it didn't have any value at all. Griffith looks like a scumbag who couldn't take a hint and Julius shrugs him off like a tool Griffith looks like in the movie. What a letdown.

Pacing is another thing that this movie lacks. A good example is the assassination attempt. After Griffith has regained his posture Casca asks him to remove his armor to see if there is any wounds from the arrow, Griffith acts like he has the attention span of 4-year old and he ignores Casca, turning his head to the side to find Julius looking at him horseback. These things happen so fast that the audience cannot really grasp what's happening. The movie has a lot of moments like this, due to the insane idea of ramming several episodes into one movie, makes me wonder if it really was worth it. To an old fan, watching this movie was like watching the series with triple speed. Giving some time for reactions, even in animation, is important.

Because of this movie is clearly taking out all the bad aspects of the original series rather than following the old saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it", I really don't want to see the remaining two movies, especially since the original series' ending is something that an unskilled movie maker should never touch.

One thing that is good is the locations and landscapes. Water flow looks fantastically realistic and the scene of Guts cutting a leaf with his sword is a nice detail. Movie looks kind of good, if the characters are counted out.

In conclusion, The Egg Of The King is a weak attempt at film adaptation of a well-written, well-executed anime. It has some good aspects, but a lot of bad ones. If you consider yourself a fan of the anime series, do not watch this unless you want to cringe with disgust. And you who watched this movie but hasn't watched the original series, do so. It will give you much more depth about the characters and it looks better, even though it was made 15 years ago.

On the positive side, I'm glad the original soundtrack (made by the great Susumu Hirasawa) wasn't featured.
½ January 7, 2013
the movie is improving quality each minute, I cant wait for the 4th
January 7, 2013
An action packed start to the first of three feature films detailing the rise of the "Band of the Hawk". The Egg of The King does justice to the cult classic.
½ January 2, 2013
J'adore le manga, j'ai adoré la série, et le film qui reprend le premier arc ne pouvait que me plaire :D
December 29, 2012
Kubooka firmly cementes himself as one of the greats with an over embellished but wonderfully constructed story that will wow nearly everyone.