The Best of Everything - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Best of Everything Reviews

August 2, 2017
The Best of Everything is an excellent film. It is about the lives and loves of Madison Avenue working girls and their higher ups. Joan Crawford and Hope Lange give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jean Negulesco did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Best of Everything is a must see.
July 21, 2017
Three secretaries in NYC in the 60s. Two have happy endings. With Joan Crawford.
½ July 11, 2017
I'm sure at the time this film was shocking both for the crispness of the NY scenery as well as the frank attitudes about love and romance in the office. That frankness no doubt owes a debt to Preminger's Moon is Blue for cutting through the "Hollywood Code".
½ July 11, 2017
Very much of its time as the inside story of a a publishing house. the women who work there, and the men who use and abuse them. Acting is above average and the plot isn't totally predictable. Remember, though, that the code was still in effect so punches were pulled.
½ May 1, 2017
As a Time Capsule look at the waning years of the post-war '50's woman, before widespread use of The Pill, a dozen years before Title IX that changed everything, this is a fascinating film. As an 8-yr old at the time, these gals are remembered on the occasional venture downtown & into pop's office bldg in the South. Wish women still dressed & looked like this - no longer do they go to church so femininely attired. Maybe in NYC. Would like to have been more aware of their overweening plots for catching a man - would've been interesting to insert a few plot twists to make it more fun. The male office predation though, that needed to go, for sure. Very unattractive, disgusting even. So, as a movie ... not fantastic. As a look back in time, at the time, with Donna Reed at the top of the Ratings, back into the Trumplican fiction of when America was great again, fascinating. (And the Color by DeLuxe was nice, too! ... seriously.)
December 18, 2013
soapy classic from fox campy and fun
June 11, 2012
the most politcally incorrect movie - but well acted
½ April 6, 2011
Three and a half stars if I pretend I never read the book.

Please, just read the book. Rona Jaffe's novel is a soap opera, to be sure, but it's full of emotion and character. This movie removes anything of substance and leaves you with the glossy shell. The female leads are beautiful, the men are blocks of wood, and Joan is ten years too old, and way too bitchy in the "Samantha Jones" role.

Joan movie 44 of 81 for me.
½ November 12, 2010
One of the best worst movies because it's "camp" through and through. Listen to some of the lines: "No ambition, Carolyn?" as if having ambition leads females to their doom. Still, the movie does deal with sexual harrassment, love affairs with married men, and low wages. Joan Crawford is a hoot. Enjoy this "chick flick." A sense of humor is a requirement.
½ May 23, 2010
Good enough that I stayed up 2 hours later than anticipated to watch it. Interesting idea, esp. in 1959 (anti-hero in every way), women with careers, and Joan Crawford playing a good-intentioned b*tch. It had drama, suspense, and an interesting interpretation of what it means to be a working woman. A little too melodramatic much of the time. B+
March 24, 2010
It was awful. It was how the world was for women in 1959. AND I really didn't need to know!
March 10, 2009
joan doesn't have a big part in this movie. the whole movie is just 50s proganda to show that women can't find love and keep a job at the same time. joan plays a women who feels she's wasted her life by keeping her job and turning down the man she ever loved. because you can't keep a family and have a secure job at the same time.
½ February 26, 2009
[font=Impact]Saw this film for the first time today. Im making my way thru Ms. Crawfords film career. (Trog and a few others excluded) [/font]
[font=Impact]Was APALLED at sexism that was par for the course for a working woman back then. That scene where Ms. Colorado gets jumped on by her boss and then he gives her 2 SANDWICHES and 20$ to pay her off. and then she actually EATS the sandwich?! Oh My. Then Hope Lange becomes an executive and STILL lives with 2 girls in an 1 room walk up?! I think not. Or how's about when Ms. Colorado gets knocked up and her boyfriends TELLS her they're going to get married and lets her buy a dress and all. Well he picks her up and acts all cool and then SUPRISE he tells her they're going to somewhere "just as clean as a hospital" to "get rid" of her "problem" (she was "a girl in trouble" as the parlance of the time went) Not to mention that the absolute best thing a woman could do in this film was get married and have kids (with a husband that, if the behavior of the men in the movie is ANY indication; will inevitably cheat on her.) [/font]
[font=Impact][/font]
[font=Impact]But NEVERMIND that.....The few minutes Ms., Crawford is onscreen are GREAT! All the Mommie Dearest hateful sarcasm you could ever want,delivered coldly enough to chill an eskimo! [/font]
[font=Impact]Shes a RAVING beyotch! But before you write it off as her just playing the grand damme she has 1 scene where she gets to play stiff-upper lip-ballbuster who's just misunderstood and secretly desprately wants to be a "real woman" (i.e. get married and have kids) [/font]
[font=Impact][/font]
[font=Impact]Overall its a joy to watch. Great hair,great wardrobe. Lange's pink Channel-esque suit and pearls at the hospital as well as all the hot-gloves-shoes combos are the epitome of 50's glamour. The hairstyles are getting away from the tight pinned subdued coifs of 1950 and starting to veery towards the huge laquered elaborate hair of the 1960's professional woman. Miss Crawford's hair aint the best but the red blonde color is nice.[/font]
[font=Impact][/font]
[font=Impact]I reccomend this on a night you wanna stay in and watch a cheesy fun girl movie or over morning coffee with the girls.[/font]
December 29, 2008
The kind of melodrama where a character can wander into an immaculate city alleyway and immediately pick up a stray kitten just to give a line reading more dramatic emphasis. At first I thought the gender politics here were just unremarkably retro, but as the film progresses and tries to up the emotional stakes, things take a turn for the near-sadistic.
November 28, 2008
good Sirk like weepie
November 9, 2008
Complete trash, but in a great way. Hope Lange and Joan Crawford work in the Seagram Building. Unmarried girl gets "in the family way" and has nervous breakdown filmed with tilted camera like an episode of Batman.
½ July 31, 2008
I thought this movie would have a little more lightness to it. It follows a lot of the old cliche's about men and how stupid women can be when in love.
July 6, 2008
One of my absolute favorites! The acting is great, costumes and sets are visually stunning and stylish, and yes, the problems that the girls in the movie face are still relevant today. Some great lines, as well.
April 14, 2008
I liked the movie alot...it was a bit dperessing but so close to the truth and real life...its uncanny! In fact it is relevant even today...
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.