Betsy's Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Betsy's Wedding Reviews

½ April 27, 2014
Sheedy and LaPaglia are beautiful together and that's a good thing because every moment they're not on the screen we miss them.
September 15, 2013
Betsy's Wedding was, surprisingly, more humorous than I thought it would be. Alda provides a some well managed chuckles and his slow direction allows for a continual humorous tone rather than a few sporadic gut wrenching laughs. Betsy's Wedding is a fun little peak into the craziness of weddings and a pleasing comedy from the early days of the 90s.
August 24, 2013
It was an okay movie in that wacky wedding genre, but while the build up was pretty great, the wedding itself was less than 20 minutes and was a bit of a letdown.

I did enjoy most of the cast. Alda and Kahn are great as the parents, but Ringwald as Betsy was a bit of a miss for me. She got downright annoying at one point in the film, and her hair & clothes styles were both awful. Her choices for wedding dresses, also bad. She was set up to be a hip girl with the trend times, but everything seemed so awful about her.

I really loved Sheedy here though. Best thing about this movie. Her love story with LaPaglia was off for me, just cause they way he talked the whole time. Would women really fall for that?

Pesci was fun at times, but then the dick we all know he is in every movie comes out after awhile.

Dylan Walsh in an early role is kind of just there, and Burt Young and Catherine O'Hara were pretty much wasted and not developed at all. And while Samuel L. Jackson is credited as the MAN AT WEDDING, I don't recall seeing him. There was ONE African American guy at the wedding I could see, and it was not him. Maybe his scene was cut?

It has so fun overall, but it just fails to deliver the all out wedding it builds up and Betsy herself is kind of unlikable.
August 20, 2012
Not Sensational! Just plain jane material. Molly Ringwalds worst movie as Betsy. A stand-out from her family just wants a small wedding. Her father needs a hearing aid obviously he's a bad listener in threat of soon to be inlaws. Betsy and her wedding become a money circus. Juggling a dysfunctional wedding goes down the drain. the love is questionable.
Sad to say it wasn't worth watching, clinging for humor i didn't even giggle. such a waste time!
½ July 31, 2012
An amusing comedy showcasing a talented cast.
½ June 23, 2012
The worst thing about this movie was Alan Alda, which is strange because I normally like Alda. The rest of the all-star cast was great.
May 9, 2012
I love this movie! I am not a fan of movies part two but this is one movie I wish they had done another. The second one would focus on the sister and Stevie Dee mostly! Throw in a pregnant Betsy and hubby! So many angles to work with and would have been such fun!
½ April 14, 2012
So much potential with Alan Alda at the helm of a stellar cast but unfortunately, this didn't quite deliver. Loved Anthony LaPaglia as Stevie Dee but his wooing of Ally Sheedy fell quite flat.
½ January 8, 2012
I have to admit, this one has not aged well. Being a mad Molly Ringwald fan, this is a movie I have seen many times over the years, though not for a good five or six years.
The main problem this has is there is not enough of Molly in it, even though she's the title character. There are some good supporting characters, including Ally Sheedy and Catherine O'hara, but there's a few I could happily have seen less of. I really didn't like the Stevie character a lot.
It is mainly a nice little wedding story with a dysfunctional family and in laws thrown in. Nothing that hasn't been done before.
Probably won't win any new fans, but might be enjoyed as a nostalgia piece (though even the clothes are pretty damn ugly here and it's a worry that Betsy hacking up that wedding dress actually improved it!).
June 23, 2011
Decent comedy in the vain of Father of the Bride. But then again I love anything with Madeline Kahn.
½ April 17, 2011
This movie is pretty good, it's a typical wedding story with some good comedy, but it could have been a lot funnier, and I wanted to see more of Ringwald and less of all the minor characters. I enjoyed it anyway.
November 7, 2010
Rather a waste of a lot of talented people.
½ June 28, 2010
It's really funny, what else can I say? It takes on one or two too many characters and plotlines, but it does succeed in creating wedding chaos. I like it.
½ June 23, 2010
Fun comedy by Alan Alda.
½ March 13, 2010
Alan Alda is so talented and creative. So why in god's name did he write his boring, annoying and seemingly cheap looking disaster film?

The problem with the film is it's characters. Every character with the exception of Alda and Catherine O'Hara are un-likable, dull and under-developed characters that made me want to grab the DVD and snap it in half every time Betsy wore one of her ghastly dresses (if you could even call it a dress) or even opened her mouth to say a line.

The film's sets, writing and cast make the film almost like a "B" version of Father of the Bride. This movie is one of the worst films on the 90's, and possibly the worst of 1990.
½ January 4, 2010
Boring film with mild laughs.
½ December 12, 2008
Worth watching just to see the characters in it (and who plays them). The acting is solid although it's a tad predictable and sometimes too "cute".
December 12, 2008
Some nice performances but the plot is pretty stereotyped. The ending is pretty weak too.
There are some good actors who deliver some good performances.
December 11, 2008
nothanks not my kinda thing