Better Luck Tomorrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Better Luck Tomorrow Reviews

August 4, 2016
I only watched this because of Han.
½ June 13, 2016
Decent indie film about a group of overachieving Asian high school students who in their free time commit crimes, starting with simple cons to make money and eventually escalating into drugs and harder crimes. It is a well directed feature from Justin Lin, this being only his second, and it showcases that he had a lot of talent to make a movie that moves and feels different and fresh (even more than a decade after it came out).
½ November 15, 2015
Great movie. The first half of the film is very frustrating due to its clichà (C)d story and typical MTV-Films style. But the second half is redeemed by great character development, devastating plot progression, and great performances from the cast, especially Shen, Tobin and Kang.
½ June 14, 2015
An Asian-American middle class Boyz in the Hood....pretty gritty a well crafted.
September 26, 2014
Still one of my fave films of the decade. Encapsulates the angst of the Asian American youth.
½ April 17, 2014
Nicely done, a clever coming of age drama....
½ March 22, 2014
This was Justin Lin's first time directing a feature alone, and I must say, "Better Luck Tomorrow" has some of the most genius camerawork and editing techniques that I have seen in a long time. As we follow Ben and his friends as they are nearing the end of high school, they are succumbed to the evil underground dealing and stealing. With just the right amount of characterization, the cast in this film pull off performances that feel more real than anything. Sung Kang plays the role of Han (one of Ben's friends), and it is obvious that Justin Lin planned to bring his character (with a few tweaks mind you) into the "Fas & Furious" franchise. Hard decisions are made by the characters throughout the film and the tone will make you feel sick to your stomach at times, but it will all be worth it. This is probably one of the best independent films of the 2000's for sure. I loved it!
½ February 15, 2014
There's some crafty (intentional?) misdirection at the start, where you're kind of strung along with the stereotypical Asian upbringing, but then taken into another world. It gets unbelievable toward the end, but outside of this one criticism, I loved it.
December 4, 2013
Goodfellas meets Beverly Hills 90210
December 2, 2013
An engrossing crime drama (which may possibly be a spinoff of the Fast & Furious franchise) centering around Asian youth.
May 27, 2013
A very important film.
May 23, 2013
A very awkward movie.
½ February 9, 2013
An interesting story and well directed. Moves quite fast and keeps you engrossed. Leaves a lot of untold future but I guess that's the charm of it.
January 16, 2013
Now I know I'm a banana. I can't relate at all.
½ December 5, 2012
"...But like everything else in life, you get sick of it."
½ November 19, 2012
John Cho was so cool in this.
½ August 7, 2012
Had a lot of the typical elements in a teen type movie, but the were arranged and set up in the right way. I felt like some parts of the dialogue wasn't too good, but most of it was good. The acting was good, had a great flow to it, and had an indie feel but also seemed well done.
½ July 21, 2012
This is one of those films, where half of it is really, really good, and half of it is really really dull. It is defiantly worth a watch to make up your own mind, but I for one enjoyed it, despite finding it completely unrelatable.
June 30, 2012
it was alright, it was nice i enjoyed it. but i don't really get all the hype really.
½ May 28, 2012
This is one of my all time favorite movies. I loved the characters, the cinematography, the story. I also loved the whole cast, especially since you don't see a lot of movies with all asian casts. This was a very well crafted movie, I especially liked the use of the SAT words.