Beverly Hills Cop II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beverly Hills Cop II Reviews

½ August 14, 2015
The best part of the 2nd film is the end when Billy puts on the the coat & brings out all the weopans out. It was not as good as the 1st one though but much better than the 3rd film.

I thought that this film contains some great action scenes. I was not a fan of the look as far as how it was shot to look so dark and yellow.

I felt like the music and the songs were not as great as the first film.

This film in my opinion does have better villains than the first film that are much more threatening and starts off by shooting the chief was a very big deal in this film. However the fact that the temporary replacement for the department chief carries such low regards for their the police officers to only be working traffic duty and limits their abilities so much it makes this film a little less interesting in some ways because now the cops are all sneaking around rather than doing their duty which sends the wrong message.

I did like that we got to see more into the friends Axel hangs out with in Detroit in this film compared to the other Beverly Hills Cop films. I also enjoyed seeing the under cover car in Detroit was a red Ferrari.
August 11, 2015
Every bit as a good as the first film... again... classic Murphy.
August 8, 2015
This one did not quite live up to how awesome the first one was. While it did have some comedic moments, something seemed to be off. Still, I did end up liking it more than most people.
½ July 25, 2015
it's lacking much of what made the first one such a classic.
½ July 18, 2015
La saga continua con una de sus mejores entregas. Murphy vuelve a encarnar a Foley, siendo tan genial como siempre, pero es que ahora además sus compañeros de vivencias toman mayor control de las escenas y podemos ver momentos realmente divertidos con el trío de policias.

Se nota que Tony Scott entró en la dirección ya solo por su fotografía y sus escenas de acción, aunque si es cierto que el final no es tan épico como el de la primera parte.

Otro gran clásico ochentero.
July 10, 2015
I immensely disliked the first film and consider it still to be extremely overrated and overlooked. The second one's not great, either, but it does a better job at displaying its characters for a franchise and making a less boring but albeit less realistic story.
Axel Foley is back in Beverly Hills to solve the case of The Alphabet Bandit, who sends police forces tricky codes to solve and who has shot Beverly Hills Police Sgt. Bogomil. Axel is back in action with Billy Rosewood and Taggert.
The first film in the series struggled with a compelling story to mix with action sequences, with bland characters and an even more bland story. The second one made sure that was solved, the characters are noticably more likable and have more personality. The story is also a big improvement but is less realistic. The sense that the first film was more of an inside job like setting and the sequel is an out and about car chase extravaganza appeals more to viewers. Cons include still little to no personality to the antagonists except that they're rich and have henchmen, it's a common cliche that continues 30 years later. It's a rare occasion where the sequel is better than the original, but even this is flawed.
½ June 30, 2015
Great sequel to the classic Murphy movie has a strip bar scene and strong language. Ages 14+
½ April 28, 2015
More of an action movie than a comedy, this film is not as bad as people would say it is. It wasn't the best sequel but Tony Scott managed to mix frenetic action with outrageous comedy. Overall it's entertaining and funny. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
April 8, 2015
Same cast....lousy jokes and not up to the first.
March 7, 2015
Right from the beginning, this sequel to Beverly Hills Cop seems to give more of an impression of confidence than the first film did, and that seems to be a trait shared by many film sequels (though mostly in the action genre). But it's not enough for a film to exude a more confident approach if it doesn't fully translate into a superior film. I say this because, while the performances are pretty enjoyable, the writing is rather lazy, and suffers the kind of deterioration that is almost inevitable with most sequels. That being said, it may not be cleverly written, but it certainly knows how to make up for it. The production values are certainly better than its predecessor, and the film's soundtrack is top-notch stuff. Even if the film lacks spectacular action scenes, the film still has a saving grace in Eddie Murphy's hilarious voice. It's not as good as its predecessor, but then, most sequels aren't anyway. Aside from that, the film itself is fun enough that the positive aspects tend to outweigh the negative aspects throughout the whole film, and if I can sit through the whole film without focusing on the negatives, that's good enough for me.
½ February 6, 2015
Not as good as the first one, but a good companion and follow-up.
February 6, 2015
While not as good as the original (sequels rarely are), this movie still has some classic 80's Eddie Murphy and overall it's a fun romp. You would still include this when discussing how great Eddie Murphy was in the 80's. Axel Foley is an action/comedy icon. And Taggert/Rosewood were always perfect foils for his madcap fun.
January 26, 2015
I forgot he didn't have the blue Nova in this one.
½ January 22, 2015
A terrible sequel to the great classic
½ January 17, 2015
Stylish and actionized, this sequel, while not regarded as a classic as the original, is impressive in its own right due to Eddie Murphy's (at the time) impeccable comedic timing.
½ January 4, 2015
Though not as critically but was moderately successful financially as its predecessor, Beverly Hills Cop II still passes with flying colors with many laughs due to Eddie Murphy's comedic talents.
January 1, 2015
The second movie is just as good as the first with lots of comedy and lots of action to keep everyone entertained!
November 29, 2014
I liked this one better than the first. More action and plenty of laughs.
November 15, 2014
The filmmakers seem to believe you make a comedy by featuring a funny actor in the lead. Who needs a funny script?
October 2, 2014
Back in the day Eddie was the big thing after the success of BH1 the thought this would be just as good. The plot was confusing and the film look was darker. Let me save the next generation no need to see this. it is not as good as the first and wile your at it skip BH3.