Beverly Hills Cop III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beverly Hills Cop III Reviews

½ June 30, 2015
Good but not great sequel is the weakest one in the series, but better for kids to watch. Ages 12+
½ June 9, 2015
While it was nice to welcome back Axel Foley in the summer of '94, this movie really wasn't all that good. It has its moments, but it pales in comparison to the original and even to Part 2. And I still wonder what Taggert had going on that he couldn't be in the threequel.
April 19, 2015
Axel,please just stay in Detroit....pretty please.
½ January 4, 2015
Though it has more of a serious tone and is less successful than its predecessors, Beverly Hills Cop III still retains the wisecracking humor that made the original a box-office blockbuster.
½ January 1, 2015
This movie has much less comedy than the first two and the story is not very bright either. The action sequences are laughable and it seems as if zero effort was given on this film. Murphy also seemed at lost with the charisma he had in the first two films.
½ December 11, 2014
This is by far the worst of the trilogy and a big let down after the first classic and a decent 2nd installment.

it just doesn't capture that magic and the plot is ridiculous.
November 15, 2014
The story of cops and crooks scurrying around a silly amusement park shows how tired the franchise has become, resorting to spontaneous violence, lazy direction and threadbare humor.
October 2, 2014
This is called trying to hard.
½ September 27, 2014
It's still a good film of the series as Murphy still performed well in this action-packed crime-solving film. Also, good thing Disneyland wasn't the setting or it would've been a bad movie. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 20, 2014
Beverly Hills Cop 3 sees Eddie Murphy travel to LA to find out who shot and killed his boss in Detroit Inspector Todd. His search leads him to theme park Wonder World and soon finds that the killer is in charge of the whole theme park security operation and it proves difficult in anyone believing that he could of done it.
August 19, 2014
This was my least favorite Beverly Hills Cop movie but it still was a great film. It had everything a good action film has even humor. Great film
August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
July 30, 2014
Wow, this is one of the most atrociously dumb sequels I've ever seen. Axel sees villains shoot and kill a whole squad of cops, including his chief. In pursuit he is stopped by the Feds. Apparently the baddie's been counterfeiting money and that's more important than a dozen dead cops! Then Axel goes to LA. He immediately spots the guy. Instead of arresting the accused copkiller on the spot after an active police witness has positively ID'd him they tell him they have no evidence and don't even take him in for questioning. That's right, they really think the law is that dumb. And it only gets worse. The bad guy works for a Disneyland knockoff as security chief (how ominous!) and Axel is repeatedly chased through an active theme park by security guards. Yup, right past dozens of witnesses including George Lucas in an oddly placed cameo. Axel escapes the badguys by getting onto a ferris wheel at which point the badguys, still wearing their identification as official theme park security, smash the controls and nearly kill a pair of kids. In front of an entire theme park full of people. Again, no response or consequences for anybody. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's just being insulting.

The worst part is that Eddie Murphy doesn't seem to care. He's playing it all serious for some reason and has none of Axel's previous spark. We don't even get to see him lie his way into places, which was the most fun part of these fairly stereotyped films. In short: boooooring!
½ July 26, 2014
Better then the first but not as good as the second
½ July 20, 2014
(46%)
The first was a good fun action comedy, the second was more hard edged and stylish; very 1980's, this though isn't really anything. The very kid friendly theme park setting doesn't go with the R-rated script because the makers didn't (or couldn't) do anything with it that's really all that inventive or smart to get past the issue. It's also very much a movie that ticks boxes as it goes along. Shoot outs, tick, wise ass Eddie, tick, generic bad guy, tick, it's all just a little tired and worn. That said it's not awful, as it passes the time decently, but overall it's still a lazy sequel made entirely to cash grab from past success.
½ June 29, 2014
I was extremely apprehensive about watching this sequel to one of my all-time favorite comedies. I loved the first two films, but I was well aware of the horrid reviews this despised third entry had received. Plus, having it be a comedy sequel is stepping in particularly hostile film territory. No other genre can induce as much fear when it comes to sequels as the comedy genre. But, much to my surprise (And relief), I actually enjoyed this entry of the series. I guess I'm just incapable of hating a Beverly Hills Cop film.

The film begins in Detroit, with another one of Axel Folely's undercover operations involving a chop shop. The operation goes bust when the men who entered the shop kill all the workers in the shop and then start shooting at the officers who try to storm the building.

During the ensuing mayhem, Axel's boss is killed and Axel pursues the murderer, only to have his chase halted by the F.B.I. who tell him to back off from their investigation into Ellis DeWald. Of course, Axel ignores their warning and pursues him all the way to southern California, to of all places, an amusement park called Wonder World.

Now, with the help of Rosewood again, and a sad replacement for Taggart (A character whose name I can't really even recall because he was so forgettable) must figure out what kind of operation is going on at Wonder World and take down DeWald.

While the plots of the first two films weren't exactly award-winning, they at least had a steady structure. One of the biggest problems with this entry of the series is that it feels unfocused at times, especially with how it awkwardly blends campy humor with very dark moments. Unfortunately, it never finds a way to blend these elements together, making the film feel very messy at times with jarring tonal shifts. Still, at least the film had plenty of wacky scenarios, action scenes, and funny humor to keep the proceedings lively.

When it comes to the humor, this one of the elements that to me, helped save it from oblivion. It's not nearly as funny as the first two films, but I still laughed pretty often throughout this ridiculous third entry. The humor is pretty stupid and over the top, even by the standards of Beverly Hills Cop, but at I was still able to find it funny despite such issues.

Plus, there's a plethora of action scenes that also helped hold my interest. Car chases, foot chases, gun battles, fights at the amusement park involving a bizarre weapon, and so much more. I found these scenes to be exciting and interesting, no matter how weird they got.

The acting, as a whole, is decent. Though, once again, Eddie Murphy steals the show as Axel Folely. The only actor I wasn't all that fond of was Hector Elizondo who played the dismal replacement character for Taggart, as he had no defining characteristics by himself - he was merely a shell of a character.

Though hated by many, I can't deny my enjoyment of this despised third entry. While it's rough around the edges and certainly not as good as its predecessors, it's still pretty funny, action-packed, and entertaining as a whole. Still, this is only a rental for people curious to watch the sequels to the awesome original.
½ June 27, 2014
Maybe the 4th time watching this , stays good !
June 25, 2014
The worst in the series but it has its moments
June 8, 2014
Awesome movie. It may not be an oscar worthy film but it is entertaining every time you watch.. George Lucas cameo! Serge!
June 7, 2014
Eddie Murphey's best series drops to embarrassing new lows.