Beverly Hills Ninja - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beverly Hills Ninja Reviews

January 25, 2014
This film gets an 80% rating for me for the sole performances of Chris Rock and Chris Farley, other than them too (Mainly Farley) this film kind of sucks
December 12, 2013
Haru (Chris Farley) is an orphaned American who washes ashore in Japan and is mistaken for the great White Ninja of legend. Raised among the finest Ninjas, Haru grows strong and big-very big. With the grace of all Three Stooges rolled into one body, Haru is an embarrassment to his clan. But when a beautiful blonde (Nicollette Sheridan) pleads for his help. Haru is given one dangerous, disastrously funny chance to prove himself.

also stars Robin Shou, Nathaniel Parker, Chris Rock, Soon-Tek Oh, Francois Chau, Billy Connolly and Keith Cooke Hirabyashi.

directed by Dennis Dugan.
November 29, 2013
A lame, unfunny comedy.
November 28, 2013
My favorite Chris farley film.
½ October 4, 2013
One of those "so bad it's funny" type movies!
½ September 26, 2013
Can't name a Chris Farley movie that wasn't funny. One of the greatest comedians of all time!
September 9, 2013
Chris farley always finds a way to put a smile on my face.
July 28, 2013
Perhaps I will meet your friend Dom Later
½ July 14, 2013
I think we can all agree this was a funny movie; not because of the acting and not because it's story but because of the constant energy that Chris Farley brings to the table despite his lack of a certain physique.
July 8, 2013
A fat guy in a ninja costume with a serious attitude & hilarious mannerism. Great movie for fun very goofy.
July 1, 2013
Hard not to like Farley
May 31, 2013
I hated this when it came out.
May 22, 2013
It's a bit of juvenile fun, where a fat guy clowns around, and bums his way through some slapstick fights. It's not got much going for it.
April 10, 2013
never fails to make me laugh
April 5, 2013
Not Cris Farley's best work, but pretty funny
April 4, 2013
Not genius.... but also genius.
March 14, 2013
Slap stick humor YES PLEASE!
March 7, 2013
Years ago, "Haru" (the late Chris Farley) was discovered inside a chest by a group of ninjas. He grows up believing that he is the "great white ninja" foretold in ancient scrolls. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

He has not become a master ninja, and has only been able to master very few skills. He is overweight and accident-prone, and not too bright.

One day, he is told by his Sensei (Soon-Tek Ho) to stay behind and tend to the shrine as those who graduated to ninja in "Haru's" class go on some mission. As he is messing around with a tight-fitting ninja uniform, a woman calling herself "Sally" (Nicollette Sheridan) comes in looking to hire a ninja to tail her boyfriend, "Martin" (Nathaniel Parker).

Based on a matchbook "Sally" dropped, "Haru" goes to Beverly Hills to find her. He also finds out that "Martin" is involved in counterfeiting foreign money. Also, he discovers that he can not adapt to Western civilization.

Out of the entire cast, Farley is the reason to see this movie. He really should have been a Hollywood stuntman. The guy will do just about anything to his body for a laugh, no matter the level of physical harm. For a guy of his size, he was flexible, as evident with martial arts fights in the movie. He is also good with using props set up in the room he is in, which are for a few good laughs.

In fact, there are many laughs in this film. There are just not enough side-splitting ones. If you ask me, the laughs are actually some really good chuckles. I also didn't laugh at every joke, possibly because I didn't think they were that funny.

I felt that none of the supporting cast had any real chemistry with Farley. Sheridan was OK when she was with him, but sometimes didn't set up the jokes for Farley's punchlines very well. Chris Rock seemed to me to be playing himself as seen during his days on "Saturday Night Live" more than a character.

I also felt that the supporting characters were not well developed. "Gobei" (Robin Shou) was mostly there for his real-life martial arts skills, but was pretty good with the limited amount of physical comedy he was subject to. If you ask me, the majority of the supporting cast were there to make a buck.

Out of the most recent movies I've seen, this one has the most memorable soundtrack. Many of the songs are martial arts themed popular songs or covers of classic songs like "Kung-Fu Fighting". I pretty much liked the music in this one.

For a martial arts movie, there really isn't a lot of martial arts in it. There is one extended fight in the entire movie, wish some brief ones through out. Even though Farley was trained for the movie, but he uses the ancient form of fighting more for jokes. He even uses martial arts weaponry for laughs more than what they are made for.

Sadly, I can't recommend this as a "Must See" movie. I would say it is more suited for watching on television when nothing else is on.
½ March 1, 2013
This is insulting- the poster would give that away. If you like this film, I hate you and want to kill you.
February 8, 2013
Yeah but you will laugh your head off