Beware Of Mr. Baker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beware Of Mr. Baker Reviews

February 5, 2016
Wow, this is the greatest rock documentary I have ever seen. I'm lucky to have been a lifelong Cream fan, so this is particularly special to me.

Leaving fame and popularity to live amongst natives in Africa to seek out "beats" to get closer to the origins of drumming, tells you something about this character. After becoming broke and then making a few million from the Cream reunion, and then spending it all again on horses, a ranch and polo playing, tells you something about this character. Destructible. Angry. Mean. Red. Ginger.

Beware Of Mr. Baker displays the real life jazz drummer syndrome. The film Whiplash is great, but it is Hollywood after all. Ginger is the real thing. It is a great documentary on arguably the greatest rock drummer, clearly underrated as such. Yes, much better than even Keith Moon and John Bonham. Watch the film and you will understand.

I thank Jay Bulger for undertaking this fine project and paying Ginger Baker the tribute he deserves, given his age.
October 2, 2015
Fascinating documentary. Genius drummer but awful human being.
August 27, 2015
Awesome documentary about one of the best drummers ever known.
July 31, 2015
Brilliant documentary of Ginger Baker,who was put on this Earth to do one thing,perfectly. The rest of him is a messy affair. It's all there from early days in jazz,to Cream and Blind Faith and beyond. He has a huge ego, not a lot of empathy,but the story is stirring.
July 23, 2015
Ginger Baker is a truly repugnant human being without redemption, however he is an exceptional drummer and musician. This documentary doesn't shy away from the darker side of Baker and nor do the many 'friends', family and associates who are also interviewed. Many of his former bandmates praise his genius but note that they found working with the man a difficult affair.
½ May 5, 2015
"Meet Ginger Baker, the man...the myth...the hero..." Thus begins a story that is hardly inspirational or uplifting. But does it need to be told? You bet your ass!!! A brilliant & genuine look at a rock star. Although not the one you would think. We drummers are a modest bunch, so it's nice to see one of us at the forefront for a change. Just sit back & watch. It's always the quiet ones...
March 11, 2015
A boring look into the life of perhaps the most overrated drummer in rock history. Just because you played next to Clapton does not mean you were worthy.
February 28, 2015
Beware of how good this is! Fantastic film.
February 21, 2015
great documentary about a great musician, and a really interesting cat. The only thing that would have made it better was longer clips, or some full concert footage at the end.
December 2, 2014
This documentary opens with Ginger Baker clubbing music journalist Jay Bulger in the nose. Gives you a sense of Gingerâ??s personality right away. Through interviews, pictures and video footage we learn of his story from young Jazz days to old curmudgeon. Even graphic illustrations are sprinkled in and actually work well within the narrative. An inspirational piece about a very interesting cat who rightfully belongs in the conversation about greatest drummers ever.

Glad I saw it. Cue up â??Toadâ??.
September 17, 2014
What a spectacular character in both good and horrible ways. Amazing drummer, huge asshole and fuckup.
½ July 13, 2014
He inspired scores of rock drummers. He was the first drummer to play extended solos in concert. He would battle some of the best jazz drummers in the world...and he was, and remained, a complete jerk!! If you have any interest in one of the greatest musicians of our time, this is a must watch!
½ July 5, 2014
Beware Of Mr. Bakers inside look at one of rocks most influential drummers never falls into standard documentary tropes, instead it relies on honest accounts that let you judge Ginger Bakers mentality.
June 23, 2014
Thanks Amoeba channel for sharing the information. Both the film making and the content are inspirational.
June 23, 2014
"Ginger wanted a case of beer, two black hookers, and a white limo ... or he wouldn't play." I've GOT to see this! Seems like what This is Spinal Tap was made of. ;-)
May 24, 2014
A very good documentary about the wild and crazy GINGER BAKER ( the drummer of THE CREAM )
May 22, 2014
Brilliant film on an amazing talent with a train wreck of a life.
May 21, 2014
What a violtile character is Mr Baker, A ongoing feud, hatred of Jack Bruce, but yet they made awesome music together..great Doc..
May 20, 2014
what a mess of a human being personally destroying Cream and Blind Faith. What a nut job genius drummer.
May 19, 2014
Or the One Where That Guy is Just A Jerk...

As a musician myself, it's a lot of fun to watch Beware of Mr. Baker. One, because it showcases the insane talent of Ginger Baker, probably the best modern drummer, and two, because it showcases how insane Ginger Baker is. If you're a musician you probably both admire Ginger Baker for his immense amount of talent, and fear becoming the kind of musician who values art over people.

But this isn't just a documentary for musicians, it's a great character piece about one of the most enigmatic characters in the annals of rock history. As you hear the story of his life, you might begin to understand how he turned into who he did, but you don't forgive him for it. His cruel tactics in dealing with people and persistent need to feel better than everyone else, reveal his true nature: he's a jerk. I don't think there's much of a way around it.

And writer/director Jay Bulger doesn't make any apologies for him, in fact, he even goes head to head (or nose to cane) with Baker. But Bulger's clear admiration for the rock hero effects everything in the film. Just like the audience, Bulger may not be able to forgive Baker's flaws, but he can't forget his talent.