Bewitched - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bewitched Reviews

½ July 13, 2015
Will Ferrels lowest moment so far, I reckon. Thankfully people have started to make films for him rather than trying to force him into being a cheesy Chevy Chase character like they did here. Kidman - one of Hollywoods great mistakes, is awful again.
June 23, 2015
Painfully unfunny. Such a disappointment. Nicole Kidman is charming, but she's forced to act all neurotic here instead of the sexy, iconic character she's portraying.
½ June 14, 2015
Witch moves to the valley because she dreams of being normal and finding a man.
June 11, 2015
This movie was hilarious! Definitely would recommend to everyone!!!
June 7, 2015
I Know Ms. Uramkin Has Seen The TV Show Bewitched, She Went To This Movie When It Came Out In Movie Theaters Back In 2005, She Told Me The Film Adaptation Of Bewitched Got Panned By Film Critics Because It Did Not Live Up To The Original TV Show, Tyler Told Me Bewitched Was So Romantic.
½ June 7, 2015
This directionless remake is most devoid of laughs, but it did elicit a couple smiles.
June 2, 2015
What did you want to do with yourself, movie? What? WHAT!?
May 1, 2015
Funny, but I never saw the original show, so I don't really have a feel for it.
½ March 30, 2015
Mediocre fluff that isn't as bad as you've heard, but a missed opportunity.
March 11, 2015
Bad all around. When Hollywood stops trying to make movie versions of old, classic tv shows, I will be one happy viewer. The normally hilarious Ferrell could not even make this one somewhat enjoyable.
½ February 25, 2015
"Guess what, I'm a clippers fan...and I made the mistake of buying court side seats"
½ February 21, 2015
just horrible one of the worst movies ever made
½ February 12, 2015
This was the most horrible comedy I've ever seen. I actually felt sorry for Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell and cant understand what they were going for. It wasn't funny and a lot of it was just a predictable cliche. Don't get me wrong I think a spoof of the old 60s Betwiched was a fantastic idea but this was just terrible. I wasn't expecting them to copy the old Bewtiched and I wasn't watching it with any expectations other than the premise of a witch getting hitched with a human. It's just that the script was a big fail, the jokes were bland, and it was just another predictable Hollywood crank out film.
February 6, 2015
not what i was expecting at all, replace will ferrell, call it something besides "bewitched" and it might have a shot!
February 3, 2015
movie based on tv show not funny at all
January 20, 2015
I don't know what they did to the fourth wall or why, but I'm actually pretty okay with it. This was a cute movie.
December 27, 2014
would have been better without will ferrell
½ December 22, 2014
I remember enjoying this movie when I saw it in theaters. Watching it again, I was apparently an easy-to-please teenager. This movie was pretty low on the magic. Wide-eyed naivete and adult-sized temper tantrums should never be used as substitutes for jokes, a sin Ephron, Kidman, and Ferrell should know well as experienced Hollywood insiders. Additionally, the metanarrative premise was too heavy handed at times; at other times, it was missing key components that alluded to the original Bewitched. Dedicated fans of the old show (myself included) will find themselves wishing the allusion would be more complete and handled with greater care.

So why the halfsies rating? Well, despite the carelessness, it's relatively inoffensive movie with a few very small moments of cute charm. Additionally, a few of the more veteran cast have their moments. Kidman is nowhere near as charming as Elizabeth Montgomery, but in this new universe she has a unique character which makes for an acceptable protagonist. Despite the fact that you can practically see her mourning her career as she says each line, she's still Nicole Kidman; there's no denying she can act. Michael Caine handles the role of Nigel Bigelow deftly and, although he can't carry the story, he clearly invested in the allusion to Sam's father in the 1960s series. However, the biggest props go to Shirley MacLaine as a practically perfect replication of Endora and Steve Carell as the much needed obnoxiousness that is Uncle Arthur. In fact, Carell provided my one moment of laughing out loud.

So all in all, Bewitched is a scholocky, hokey attempt to mine money out of an excellent show that should have remained as it currently exists: A beautiful and nostalgic piece of television history.
½ December 15, 2014
It may not be at Ephron's achievable level, but she still has good taste in casting and bringing charms. The cast followed her, but it looked like Ferrell is the least since this film is half Ephron and half Ferrell. This adaptation of an old sitcom is a unique one out of all other TV shows adaptations. An enjoyable film from Ephron, but it's her least work. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 14, 2014
kind of a lame storyline I think it could of been much better, I think some Bewitched fans would of felt let down by this movie. Not really worth watching unless you want to watch a drab romantic movie, which is hardly funny. The acting was good though and the sets were nice.