Beyond Hatred (Au-dela de la haine) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beyond Hatred (Au-dela de la haine) Reviews

June 18, 2016
Headline affairs often remind me of documentaries I've seen and the events in Orlando recall this film for me. It's name says it all, as the parent's of a gay man murdered by neo-nazis work to achieve such grace. Coincidentally, it's available on Netflix at the moment.
½ December 1, 2012
Stylish, tragic, and ultimately intimate.
October 6, 2011
Unique film style which has a moving result.
April 20, 2010
Much of what the family says is either unimportant or uninteresting. It's nice that there are real interviews and not that hyperactive junk some docs have become, but that's about it. Almost nothing is revealed about the victim, the attackers faces are never shown and cameras weren't allowed in the courtroom, causing the film-makers to scramble for other less interesting material. This should have been a short, but, as is far too often the case, was padded out to a feature for marketing purposes.
August 25, 2009
Un film important sur la tolerance et la democratie.
August 7, 2009
In 2002, Francois Chenu, was savagely beaten and drowned by a group of skinheads for being homosexual. Two years later the central three men involved in the crime come up for trial. The filmmakers focus mainly on Chenu's family, trying to give a portrait of their loss and their attempts to comprehend the crime, in the period leading up to, during and after the trial.

This film left me with the feeling of something deeply lacking, I wanted more. We are given very little sense of who Francois was, and of what his life was like. There was an attempt to explore why these three commited the crime but it's not enough. The interview with the father of one of the perpetrators is short and consists mostly of long pauses, we are told via an aunt that the same accused's mother is an alcoholic, that's about as deep as it gets. The filmmakers clearly try to maintain an atmosphere of non-interference and neutrality but all we are left with as viewers is fustration and a feeling of being hardly wiser for the experience.
½ December 23, 2008
Tres interessant! This is a real life documentary about Jean Paul & Marie-Cecile Chenu & their family coming to terms with the smashing in of the face by 3 French skinheads of their homosexual son Francois Chenu in a park in Rheims, France & dumping him in a lake where he drowned. The French prosecution & defence tried to understand the motives which was interesting. I thought it was a straightforward "jette en prison" situation. 6 months later, in an open letter, the parents of Francois Chenu were magnanimous enough to hope that the imprisoned juvenile skinheads would improve & develop into better men after 15-20 years imprisonment.
½ November 7, 2008
A very hard watch, to say the least. It is a documentary unlike any documentaries, as it shows how a family deals with a hate crime inflicted upon their son. The visual recounting of events is both powerful and respectful. Furthermore, the inside look at the French legal system that this documentary provides is quite intriguing.
May 19, 2008
Not as action packed as I expected a hate crime to be.
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
September 20, 2007
A fine contribution to the cinema of grief and healing, finding a balance between the intolerance of the skinheads and the admirable tolerance displayed by Francois' loved ones; the clever title refers both to where the aggressors were coming from, and the place the Chenu family are working towards.
½ September 19, 2007
Interesting true life doco-drama about how the family of a murdered gay man struggle to come to terms with their personel grief during the trial of the three skinheads involved. The family show great strength in character by moving beyond blame/hatred of the culprits. Quite long and drawn out but worth the time to watch.
½ September 10, 2007
un documentaire-témoignage absolument bouleversant sur le meurtre d'un jeune homosexuel par des skinheads. les parents souhaitent comprendre. à voir.
July 26, 2007
Hope that it is good
June 15, 2007
Really not up for this depressing story
June 13, 2007
AHHH its buggng me like the last one said
June 11, 2007
it would be quiet interesting coz it seems to relate to the world today
½ June 11, 2007
A heartbreaking document of extreme humanism under extreme duress.
June 10, 2007
sounds dangerously cool.
June 7, 2007
I have nothing against the "gay son," the movie just sounds boring.