Beyond Silence (Jenseits der Stille) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beyond Silence (Jenseits der Stille) Reviews

September 4, 2008
Great movie. Wonderful story. Needs to be seen.
September 1, 2008
Decent movie, but a sappy and predictable plot. I loved the music, and the story of breaking away from familial obligation to pursue your own dreams, but again that's a plot done a million times. Tatiana trieb is a very pretty and precocious little girl. I love how she cried when her hair was cut. what most guys don't understand is that when a girl cuts her hair, short, it's a sign she's growing up. That one moment just tugged at my heart!
August 14, 2008
Great foreign film! It's interesting to watch her break away from her parents.
½ August 10, 2008
Great!!!!!! Loved it!
½ July 11, 2008
A touching German film about the challenges a girl faces in balancing the needs of her deaf-mute parents with her ambition to pursue music.
June 28, 2008
Wonderfull music, wonderfull cast and a wonderfull story
½ June 21, 2008
Very thought provoking.
I liked it better than Children Of A Lesser God.
June 3, 2008
I wanted to spend more time with these characters. They were so real.
½ May 16, 2008
inspiring and encouraging!
April 27, 2008
after bing in middle school band, i never know clarinets could actually sound... good.
April 21, 2008
This movie is simply beautiful. One of the rarest movies you will ever see. Strongly recommended to everyone...
½ April 9, 2008
What starts as a pretty engaging if not a tid sappy film about a young girl who is forced to facilitate her deaf parents' living situations ends up falling victim to its own need to please a mainstream audience. In other words, it's the kind of foreign flick I'd watch with my mom. That's not to say that there isn't a lot to enjoy here. In a lot of ways, it's a pretty good mainstream film because its treatment of deafness is not only novel but seems very authentic. The way in which the young Lara is stuck between her own life and that of her parents presents a truly engaging struggle that the film never really concludes or comments on beyond the initial statement. As the film transitions to Lara as a young adult and a seeming virtuoso clarinet player, her character rounds out in a number of ways, and it's really a joy seeing this character get to romp around Berlin. Unfortunately, we have to suffer through a rather slapped-on romantic subplot that attempts to help her make a leap in her opinions about deafness but really never ends up affecting her one way or the other. That's pretty paradigmatic of my thoughts overall about the film: Link again and again introduces elements that would seem to shed light on something or other: the father's family growing up, the romantic subplot, the conflict between the family (esp. between the aunt and, well, everyone else), but they never negotiate the serious questions with any kind of dexterity or purpose. Instead, these issues are raised but fall victim to the lame tropes that I could've seen in about 10 flicks at the multiplex at the moment. The family issues are solved by understanding and the acquisition of signing fluency. The generational issues figure themselves out in a formulaic audition scene that you've seen about 9,000 times and could call about an hour out. It's a shame because Link does have quite a bit on her mind. Again and again, she makes all kinds of wonderful commentary on the place of film within communication and, really, comments on nearly every kind of communication there is. Unfortunately, her sensibility seems more in tune with delivering an easy-to-consume product that ultimately lacks personality despite all of the points listed above. As you may have guessed, the film exported wonderfully. ** and 1/2 * out've *****
½ March 31, 2008
One of the first films I saw subtitled from German. I loved it, it was truly heartwarming. Great story, beautifully acted.
March 28, 2008
FANTASTIC!!!!! I absolutely, absolutely loved this movie. heart-warming, sweet, and powerful and just all-around enthralling to watch. a must see :-)
March 8, 2008
From HKIFF. Beautiful film. Now I have the soundtrack, VCD...Also "Nowhere in Africa"...
March 7, 2008
Einfach nur schoen... wer hat danach nicht davon getraeumt Klarinette spielen zu koennen?!
Beautiful it.
½ February 14, 2008
It sends a good message about the deaf community and the struggles they go through, but nothing else about this film really shines or makes it stand out.
February 3, 2008
Beautiful movie about a young girl who wants to be a musician, although the rest of her family is deaf.
January 5, 2008
Beautiful music, wonderful acting. Very powerful story that will move you deeply...
January 1, 2008
Beautiful. One of the movies I try not to watch to often, so that I keep enjoying it in the precious moments when I do see it again.