Beyond the Forest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beyond the Forest Reviews

June 6, 2015
Did this become a cult only because of that one line? I found it boring. Bette Davis was cool though.
April 12, 2013
Bette Davis kindles trash into an inferno--How to spice up life in a small town!!
rubystevens
½ January 27, 2013
a true camp classic. bette's performance as one of the most twisted and evil of all femme fatale in filmdom has to be seen to be believed. i can't even say whether or not this a good movie. i only know it's a hugely entertaining one. don't miss it
½ August 13, 2010
Like an earlier King Vidor film, Duel in the Sun, this has heaps of camp appeal. The story of a small town femme fatale with big city aspirations. Bette Davis is a powerhouse, absolutely spellbinding. Her character is diabolically evil, and yet more than a little sympathetic. Who wouldn't feel stifled by a life of lumber mills and square dances? I see a lot of other reviewers describing her performance as "bad"... sure, it's trashy and over the top, but you can't take your eyes off her. Joseph Cotten has the thankless role of the nice guy, but he's Joseph Cotten so it's cool. The film sports a number of memorable moments (Davis lamenting "If I don't get out of here I'll die. If I don't get out of here I hope I die and burn!" while the mills shoot flame into the sky in the background is unforgettable), some killer lines, and a hell of an ending. The "What a dump!" line will be familiar to any fan of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, where Elizabeth Taylor tries to recall the name of this movie. Max Steiner's score is typically overblown, but for once it seems appropriate. Davis herself called the movie "terrible", but except for the lousy opening narration, I think it's a knockout.
December 28, 2008
Superbe film !
Bette Davis y est fantastique, comme toujours.
Elle use d'une palette de caractères très riche pour servir un rôle de femme qui ne cesse d'être en quête d'autre chose.
A VOIR !!!
½ September 2, 2008
final Flame out at WB
jjnxn
April 6, 2008
Wild lurid junk with Bette consuming whole portions of the scenery whole to try and save it.
March 16, 2008
"What A Dump!" Love it! Classic Bette.
February 5, 2008
"What a dump!"

i've been trying to find this one for ages!!!! But still no luck. ;(
December 18, 2007
Initially very eager to watch this movie when it came out on vhs tape for the camp factor and the priceless lines (my favorite is "If I don't get out of here I'll die. If I don't get out of here I hope I'll die") I loved every minute of it, by the second third of its length, this becomes quite a dark movie and the imagery and metaphors are quite clear, making it really interesting to watch. Bette Davis looks great, for once actually dressing like a sexual woman, though still refusing to wear a bra...
November 8, 2007
I like Joseph Cotten...
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
July 15, 2007
Bette Davis hated this film with a passion, but I thought she was good. She does say one of the great lines in film history. "What a dump"