Beyond Therapy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beyond Therapy Reviews

½ December 20, 2012
This movie is like an exercise in insanity...
½ April 7, 2012
In the 1980s Robert Altman released a string of films that were based on popular plays, "Beyond Therapy" was one of them. While the film has some laugh out loud moments, some very funny dialogue and extremely spirited and zany performances, Altman's lack of narrative focus ultimately hurts the film. Altman's directorial voice is lost here, because in all honesty, this seems like a direct copy of a Woody Allen picture. There isn't much originality to speak of. Plus, with a film that contains such an array of wackos, you need something for the audience to ground themselves in, and "Beyond Therapy" has none of that- no every man, no coherent arc. This is a funny but extremely unfocused and messy film.
October 20, 2011
a film based on the play by christopher durang!
stevenecarrier
½ May 7, 2011
½ March 10, 2010
It's hard to muck up Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Guest (though Guest would later perfect this gay character in Waiting or Guffman), but the material is extremely hit or miss, and when it misses, oh boy. Altman has fun with cutaways to a weird Michael Berryman lookin' motherfucker in the restaurant scenes, but aside from that he doesn't do much to lift up the material... no, actually, there's a really friggin' bizarre climactic slow-motion shoot-out that goes on for so long it comments on itself, which is nice, but then is brought to a halt by the very unfunny Julie Hagerty. There's a reason now, I guess, I only know her from Airplane!
January 23, 2008
A lesser Altman, bit dated, but funny. AND CGuests character is hilarious!!
December 29, 2007
Unfortunately not even nearly as funny as the original play. They got it all wrong.
½ November 13, 2007
This film is a scream. I don't know why people don't like it.
November 9, 2007
I think there was a cute ethnic guy in it but I kind of feel a bit of a rash coming on when I think about the movie. Altman was always hit or miss with me. Julie Haggerty should play Mia Farrow's twin sister in some project. The perfect pairing of female neuroses. (sp?)
November 1, 2007
even the best can make the worst
½ October 25, 2007
The worst movie Altman ever made. The only Altman movie I have no desire to ever watch again. Even Christopher Guest's very very Corky St. Clair type part is just not funny. Nothing in this movie is funny. Altman's ear for this sort of comedy is not just flat -- it's missing. (That's a "Vincent and Theo" joke, folks.)
October 22, 2007
A failure with perfect moments.
½ September 6, 2007
Without a doubt, Altman's worst... even worse than "Jimmy Dean"
August 15, 2007
Does this work as movie?
½ August 14, 2007
Razon por la que no hay que estudiar psicologia. The best reason for not studying psychology
July 25, 2007
despite the awesomeness of robert altman and the goldblum, this film still reeks quite horribly.
July 23, 2007
So, I'm weird. I've ALWAYS loved this movie!
July 23, 2007
So, I'm weird. I've ALWAYS loved this movie!
½ June 13, 2007
Terrible movie. An awesome play, but a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE movie!